Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 07:53 AM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times

Advertisements

I understand the concerns over the vaccines due to the rapid nature of their development. But there is only so much you can do in a democracy to encourage people to be vaccinated. I received the Pfizer Vaccine and had the mildest side effects of a slight chill for a day after the shots.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:15 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...thcare-workers

So, Pierrepont and others, do you think the latest Mandate from Governor Cuomo will have any effect in increasing the percentage of vaccinated blacks?
I honestly don't know, but it wouldn't shock me if their numbers remain low. One of the things I was have been seeing on TV is these commercials clearly targeted at Black people to get vaccinated. Not sure if it will do any good for all of the reasons people have mentioned.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:23 AM

1,064 posts, read 545,889 times
I think what could start changing minds is to have the kind of spike they're having in Mississippi, Arkansas, etc. where hospitals are at the breaking point and young people are dying.

I hope that doesn't happen here but it could. When that happened in those southern states, their vaccination rates started to increase dramatically.

Old 08-17-2021, 08:35 AM

93,328 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
I think one of the most obvious reasons why is because a large portion of Black Americans simply don't trust our government ( can you blame them? ). A lot of Trump supporters also don't trust or have any faith in the US government either, which is one of the reasons why they gravitated to Trump in the first place.
I think this has a lot to do with, along with historical factors. However, I also think there still isn't enough information getting to people directly and people aren't thinking proactively.

What I think also gets overlooked is that the research for said vaccines actually goes back to decades in regards to mRNA and that COVID is another form of SARS(the official name of COVID is SARS-CoV-2), which came out in 2003. So, it isn't like something similar hasn't occurred before, it is just that the reaction to it was underestimated.

Old 08-17-2021, 01:41 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think this has a lot to do with, along with historical factors. However, I also think there still isn't enough information getting to people directly and people aren't thinking proactively.

What I think also gets overlooked is that the research for said vaccines actually goes back to decades in regards to mRNA and that COVID is another form of SARS(the official name of COVID is SARS-CoV-2), which came out in 2003. So, it isn't like something similar hasn't occurred before, it is just that the reaction to it was underestimated.
There are 2 types of people. One type thinks the government is out to get them (may be true but who knows) and there's another group that's done as much research as they can for the last 1.5 years and feel it's not in their best interests to get it.

It's a huge mistake to think everyone is the former. And most of the latter group knew that boosters were coming. I remember telling my brother to expect them in April much to his surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: