Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 09:49 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Do you own a car? Because if you do you will have to pay for off-street parking, factor that into your budget.
No car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 09:58 AM

1,034 posts, read 445,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Thanks for all the info.

There's not much to say really. It's full of yuppie transplants that can't afford the more expensive neighborhoods of Park Slope, Downtown BK, Cobble Hill, Carrol Gardens, etc.

In terms of my tastes, it's too close to the more.unsavory elements in BK for the price that you pay. It's sort of in a no man's land.

Personally, I'd either pay more (if you can) and live in the other neighborhoods mentioned above or pay less and live in Kensington.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
why not closer to the water?
Quote:
You tell me. I’d consider it. We are flexible. We started near the the park as that’s where a lot of our friends live.
See my comment above.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:03 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Happy Saturday all.

As many of you know, I've been in the city since college. I lived in Greenwich Village through college and for maybe five years after. After that I moved uptown to Hamilton Heights and eventually purchased my apartment when the building went through a CO-OP conversion. I bought the place for about half it's market value as a certain percentage of residents had to go in on the conversion for it to go through. Well, about 12 years later I have accepted an amazing offer for my place. About four times what I paid for it.

Welp, now that the offer has been accepted, the wife and I are planning to rent in Brooklyn to give the borough a whirl. Most of our friends have ended up in neighborhoods around Prospect Park, so that is where we are looking. There seem to be a lot of nice semi-lux boutique buildings all around the park offering pretty decent deals (for NY and likely due to COVID). We don't want to buy another place, as we are DINKS and plan to retire very early and maybe move to another country.

Any of you live around Prospect Park? We are going on a walking tour tomorrow (self guided). I've been out there a bunch and love the scene. Pretty tree lined streets, nice places to eat. I guess I'll need to grow out my hipster beard and buy some plaid shirts. lol.

Any advice on where to look around the park? Any areas to avoid?

Thanks!

Simple. Stay on either the west or south sides of Prospect Park, Park Slope and Windsor Terrace are much nicer safer areas that anything east or north of the park. Good luck in whatever area you choose to live in.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:10 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
I don't know Prospect Park that well, and have only spent a handful of times in it ever, since I moved to Brooklyn the first time back in April 2001.

I had a friend that lived over there in the early 2000s and it was just becoming "hot" back then, and better gentrified and established, from what I recall. Today, it's a pretty nice area with a good mix of families, young professionals, and good diversity.

My suggestion would be to look at other neighborhoods in Brooklyn, also.

A sidenote about me--I spent 5 years in Williamsburg (2001 - 2006), then Stamford, CT (2006-2012) and then I moved back to NYC and lived in Hamilton Heights as well (2012 - 2017). I went back down south to Tennessee to be closer to an ill family member from 2017-2020, and since last summer, I have lived back in Brooklyn. I now live in the Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill area of Brooklyn, and could not be happier with this neighborhood choice in Brooklyn.

In my opinion, this is the quintessential area to live in Brooklyn, and easily one of the top 10 best in all of NYC.

I would also add to your neighborhood search for Brooklyn these areas: Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn Heights, Gowanus, Park Slope, Columbia Waterfront, Red Hook and downtown Brooklyn. A long list, but every area (except parts of Red Hook) is incredibly walkable, diverse, vibrant, quiet, and convenient to everything.

Personally, I loved to see Hamilton Heights grow and thrive, and enjoyed my time up there. But Brooklyn (for me) blows it away in terms of amenities, livability, quiet and location. You'll be amazingly impressed with these neighborhoods in general.

Old 08-15-2021, 10:26 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,748,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
I don't know Prospect Park that well, and have only spent a handful of times in it ever, since I moved to Brooklyn the first time back in April 2001.

I had a friend that lived over there in the early 2000s and it was just becoming "hot" back then, and better gentrified and established, from what I recall. Today, it's a pretty nice area with a good mix of families, young professionals, and good diversity.

My suggestion would be to look at other neighborhoods in Brooklyn, also.

A sidenote about me--I spent 5 years in Williamsburg (2001 - 2006), then Stamford, CT (2006-2012) and then I moved back to NYC and lived in Hamilton Heights as well (2012 - 2017). I went back down south to Tennessee to be closer to an ill family member from 2017-2020, and since last summer, I have lived back in Brooklyn. I now live in the Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill area of Brooklyn, and could not be happier with this neighborhood choice in Brooklyn.

In my opinion, this is the quintessential area to live in Brooklyn, and easily one of the top 10 best in all of NYC.

I would also add to your neighborhood search for Brooklyn these areas: Cobble Hill, Boerum Hill, Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn Heights, Gowanus, Park Slope, Columbia Waterfront, Red Hook and downtown Brooklyn. A long list, but every area (except parts of Red Hook) is incredibly walkable, diverse, vibrant, quiet, and convenient to everything.

Personally, I loved to see Hamilton Heights grow and thrive, and enjoyed my time up there. But Brooklyn (for me) blows it away in terms of amenities, livability, quiet and location. You'll be amazingly impressed with these neighborhoods in general.
This is excellent! I repped. Reminds me of this sub forum five or so years ago when it wasn't just a bunch of angry people yelling about politics and masks.

Today we are going to meet some friends and explore the east side of the park. Next weekend we will be west. We will also check out the above hoods. Thanks again!

Old 08-15-2021, 10:42 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
It's far from Manhattan on public transportation, but I feel Bay Ridge is prolly the only Brooklyn neighborhood worth your time:

Nice apartments
Places to eat
Places to drink
Closer to the water
Crime is low
You can use the bus to partake of Staten Island
Shopping district on 86th Street

I think you'll find it slightly resembles Hamilton Heights in terms of residential density and commercial avenues

You can dare even call it a much safer version of where you currently live! I honestly don't think any neighborhood in north Brooklyn is worth your time, it's just like gentrified Harlem, you still hear gunshots but the restaurants are different

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 08-15-2021 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 10:48 AM

1,414 posts, read 722,778 times
Quote:
It's far from Manhattan on public transportation, but I feel Bay Ridge is prolly the only Brooklyn neighborhood worth your time:

Nice apartments
Places to eat
Places to drink
Closer to the water
Crime is low
You can use the bus to partake of Staten Island
Shopping district on 86th Street
If I had to move to Brooklyn, Bay Ridge would be my first choice.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:12 AM

10,054 posts, read 14,418,692 times
Quote:
The ONLY Brooklyn Neighborhood worth the time?

I strongly and respectfully disagree. This leads to the question: Have you spent a significant amount of time in many Brooklyn neighborhoods in general?

A fair question. Don't get me wrong, Bay Ridge is bustling, nice, and loaded with good bars and restaurants-and some good shopping. But it is FAR away from everything in Manhattan, and about a 35-40 minute subway ride to the heart of Brooklyn.

I would say it is in the top 15 best neighborhoods in Brooklyn, in general.

But it depends on what someone is looking for. If you want easy and quick proximity to Staten Island or New Jersey, it's a good location. But super far from anything in the city, and by car to Manhattan, it is a nightmare commute.

Even though Bay Ridge is very nice and has a good quality of life, there are far superior Brooklyn neighborhoods to choose from. In my well-traveled Brooklyn opinion.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:15 AM

34,011 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
The ONLY Brooklyn Neighborhood worth the time?

I strongly and respectfully disagree. This leads to the question: Have you spent a significant amount of time in many Brooklyn neighborhoods in general?

A fair question. Don't get me wrong, Bay Ridge is bustling, nice, and loaded with good bars and restaurants-and some good shopping. But it is FAR away from everything in Manhattan, and about a 35-40 minute subway ride to the heart of Brooklyn.

I would say it is in the top 15 best neighborhoods in Brooklyn, in general.

But it depends on what someone is looking for. If you want easy and quick proximity to Staten Island or New Jersey, it's a good location. But super far from anything in the city, and by car to Manhattan, it is a nightmare commute.

Even though Bay Ridge is very nice and has a good quality of life, there are far superior Brooklyn neighborhoods to choose from. In my well-traveled Brooklyn opinion.
Worth OP's time, not worth the time, big difference

Fact of the matter is safety and proximity to Manhattan costs a pretty penny

If OP was buying, I would definitely suggest plenty of areas within northern/central Brooklyn neighborhoods

I just don't think they're worth renting in at the moment.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-15-2021, 11:22 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Nothing? Really?
I would help you if I could but I know zip about that area. That's why I didn't post anything. The only thing I know is that it depends on which section of Prospect Park you're at but I forget which side is the "better side".

Have fun in B'klyn! People I know who live there love it. It's fast becoming the "preferred borough". lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City