Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2021, 05:23 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynball View Post
Don't listen to the clowns on this board who pretend to know or provide opinions based on personal preference.

From your initial post I know what you're looking for and the people you're looking to be around. Your only choices are Park Slope, Boreum Hill, Carrol Gardens, Downtown BK area (it you can afford it) or Kensington. Gowanus might fit your profile if you don't mind a more commercial vibe.

The people suggesting PLG, Bay Ridge, Prospect Park are clueless. If you're looking to be around friends in the Prospect Park area Bay Ridge may as well be NJ (especially if you don't have a car).

PLG pre COVID might have been a good choice as it was gentrifying at a torrid pace but COVID has basically reversed that trend. Couple that with an increase in crime and that area is quickly becoming extremely overpriced for what you get/potential to get.

I'm not sure what your rental budget is but sine you were initially looking at Prospect Park I would surmise it may have been up to $2500? You're probably going to have to bump that up to at least $3K to find something decent on the lower end.
Thanks for your info. We will indeed look at the other areas. Budget is really not an issue. We could technically qualify for $8k a month, but as I mentioned we would like to retire early. We are looking to spend under $4k.

We started where we started as the cheaper the better and if the area worked for us great. Also we have friends right there.

I liked the area, just at this time in my life I’m looking for something else. Hey, I’m moving from living in harlem for 12 years. I’m fine being around brown people, if that’s what you are hinting at.

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 08-15-2021 at 05:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2021, 05:47 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Thanks for your info. We will indeed look at the other areas. Budget is really not an issue. We could technically qualify for $8k a month, but as I mentioned we would like to retire early. We are looking to spend under $4k.

We started where we started as the cheaper the better and if the area worked for us great. Also we have friends right there.

I liked the area, just at this time in my life I’m looking for something else. Hey, I’m moving from living in harlem for 12 years. I’m fine being around brown people, if that’s what you are hinting at.
It's not about living or not living with certain people. It's about the vibe, ambience, feel, etc.

If you want to spend up to $4K then it comes down to whether you and your wife want to live in a newer building with amenities (gym, rooftop, washer/dryer, etc) or don't mind living in an older building (which might be more convinient location wise). If you're looking for a newer building then you'll probably have to look at Downtown BK/BK Heights/Dumbo.

Old 08-15-2021, 05:49 PM

Quote:
It's not about living or not living with certain people. It's about the vibe, ambience, feel, etc.

If you can afford up to $4K then it comes down to whether you and your wife want to live in a newer building with amenities (gym, rooftop, washer/dryer, etc) or don't mind living in an older building. If you're looking for a newer building then you'll probably have to look at Downtown BK/BK Heights/Dumbo.
Got ya.

Yep, that is what we have found. I’ll keep you posted on our search and thanks again for the advice. It is truly helpful. I repped you earlier.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
And here I was going to give you a whole bunch of info about the area considering I started experiencing it when I was around 11 helping at my friend's family business, spent over 10 years as a cop there, and still frequently work the area.

Oh well. Go enjoy your walk about. I'm sure you'll learn a lot...
LOL. love ya bud, but I'm sure I can guess your response. "NYC is a cesspool! I'd jump off the Brooklyn Bridge before ever moving anywhere near any of that! I'm sooooo glad I got out and now live in Jersey! OMG Democrats *add random anti mask statement here*!!!

lol. How is it going out there anyway? Grats on your retirement.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:24 PM

1,034 posts, read 446,455 times
Quote:
Got ya.

Yep, that is what we have found. I’ll keep you posted on our search and thanks again for the advice. It is truly helpful. I repped you earlier.
Of course you and your wife will make your own decisions but go with the newer buildings if you can. Gym, rooftop (many have grille), built in A/C units, etc. You might be a bit further from friends but how many hours a week do you spend with them as opposed to being in the apartment. The extra $5-$10k/year won't make or break you at this point.

Downtown BK also has the added bonus of being close To the BK waterfront and Lower Manhattan.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:24 PM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
You'd be very surprised how much I know about that area...

NJ is awesome. I can go out to eat anytime I want without a government app on my phone.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-15-2021, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Of course you and your wife will make your own decisions but go with the newer buildings if you can. Gym, rooftop (many have grille), built in A/C units, etc. You might be a bit further from friends but how many hours a week do you spend with them as opposed to being in the apartment. The extra $5-$10k/year won't make or break you at this point.

Downtown BK also has the added bonus of being close To the BK waterfront and Lower Manhattan.
Yep, we noticed that and have been looking in that area this eve (online). Seem to be some nice mid lux buildings there steps from the subway. The search continues!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You'd be very surprised how much I know about that area...

NJ is awesome. I can go out to eat anytime I want without a government app on my phone.
Well share if you like. I'm pegging you for a good person to hear from regarding where to stay away from lol.

That's cool. I have another 8ish years and I am out (fed not a cop but in a field where I can retire early with a pension). Wife makes bank in tech. We are thinking of Costa Rica or Panama. No idea though. Their healthcare is almost as good as ours and dirt cheap. US trained docs. Cheap everything. Beach. Monkeys in the trees. That or certain parts of Europe.

If you really are hard core into "keep out of my business" you should look to other countries. Many block or outlaw all that ****. The US is very pro capitalist and for that to work they want to sell you **** you don't need via tracking you.

And its beautiful out there.

Good luck

Last edited by WhyRUMad; 08-15-2021 at 08:50 PM..

Old 08-16-2021, 05:52 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Stay on the west side. In fact I'd stay closer to 4th Avenue. The sheer diversity of food in that area cannot he matched anywhere else in the city. If I am wrong, I'd love to know it so I can check out the better area.

As other have said, the south and east sides of the park are far safer than the west and north sides. Prices reflect that, but your budget seems solid enough. You're also talking the difference between a very noisy loving experience compared to about as quiet as a dense city neighborhood can be.

For such an expensive area, I've always liked that it still feels working class. I say also check out Windsor Terrace near one of the train stations.

As others have said, west side of the park has much more transit options.

(EDIT: meant west side of the park)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-16-2021 at 08:50 AM..

Old 08-16-2021, 08:33 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
This is excellent! I repped. Reminds me of this sub forum five or so years ago when it wasn't just a bunch of angry people yelling about politics and masks.

Today we are going to meet some friends and explore the east side of the park. Next weekend we will be west. We will also check out the above hoods. Thanks again!
Yeah, some folks who engage in friendly robust discussion, seem to have moved on from this forum.

Anyway, I think you should look at Park Slope, Boerum Hill, Cobble Hill, Carroll Gardens and all neighborhoods in this area, west of Prospect Park. Amazing areas to live in, all in all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City