Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2021, 11:26 AM

8,911 posts, read 4,701,959 times

Advertisements

FYI

https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-bus...esign-restart/

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority will restart its dormant borough bus network redesigns this fall, 17 months after the pandemic forced transit gurus to hit the brakes on the program aimed at speeding up commutes and modernizing ancient bus routes.

“The city needs a strong transit system more than ever to help lead our recovery from the pandemic — we all know that,” said acting MTA Chair and CEO Janno Lieber at a press conference in the Bronx on Aug. 16. “The time has also come to revive our borough-by-borough bus network redesign, redoing all the routes to line up with current ridership patterns.”

The agency plans will bring back its three remaining network overhauls in the Bronx, Queens, and Brooklyn later this year, which were all at different stages of development when the COVID-19 outbreak hit the city in early 2020.

The Bronx redesign is first in line and will be fully implemented in June 2022, with some changes to the old plan published in the fall of 2019, according to New York City Transit interim president Craig Cipriano.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 11:34 AM

3,336 posts, read 1,216,213 times
The MTA is a disgrace outside of Manhattan

Old 10-29-2021, 11:22 AM

8,911 posts, read 4,701,959 times
Tune in: MTA to host one last virtual meeting on Bronx bus redesign. For all you Bronxites out there.

https://www.amny.com/news/mta-bronx-...work-redesign/

MTA wants you to give your two cents on the Bronx bus network redesign at one last virtual meeting next month.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is moving ahead with its proposal to overhaul the borough’s 46 bus routes next year and the agency’s acting chief hopes Bronxites will give their feedback on the changes one last time during a Zoom webinar on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

“Buses are the engines of equity in our city,” said Janno Lieber at a press conference at Lou Gehrig Plaza on Thursday, Oct. 28. “Make your voices heard about a proposed — and it is a proposal — but it is also something we’ve worked on with Bronx leadership and Bronx advocacy groups.”

The final input session for the so-called Bronx Bus Network Redesign comes after the agency restarted it this fall following an 18-month hiatus of the project along with two other borough-wide network redesigns in Queens and Brooklyn due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Bronx plan looks to make the borough’s bus routes more efficient for its 635,000 riders who used the people movers pre-pandemic.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:05 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,334,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Tune in: MTA to host one last virtual meeting on Bronx bus redesign. For all you Bronxites out there.

https://www.amny.com/news/mta-bronx-...work-redesign/

MTA wants you to give your two cents on the Bronx bus network redesign at one last virtual meeting next month.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority is moving ahead with its proposal to overhaul the borough’s 46 bus routes next year and the agency’s acting chief hopes Bronxites will give their feedback on the changes one last time during a Zoom webinar on Tuesday, Nov. 9.

“Buses are the engines of equity in our city,” said Janno Lieber at a press conference at Lou Gehrig Plaza on Thursday, Oct. 28. “Make your voices heard about a proposed — and it is a proposal — but it is also something we’ve worked on with Bronx leadership and Bronx advocacy groups.”

The final input session for the so-called Bronx Bus Network Redesign comes after the agency restarted it this fall following an 18-month hiatus of the project along with two other borough-wide network redesigns in Queens and Brooklyn due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Bronx plan looks to make the borough’s bus routes more efficient for its 635,000 riders who used the people movers pre-pandemic.
Okay so for the most part, I think these are actually solid ideas. Most of the routes I'd use cut a few stops. I'm sorry but there are too many stops and so glad to see this. There is a route change that directly affects me though negatively. I guess it's not a complete shocker, but it will definitely slow down my commute/perhaps make it more difficult. They are adding a new bus-BX25. Thought it was a good idea that this would also run on Allerton. I thought for the BX12 Select Service that they'd add more frequency.

Old 10-31-2021, 09:03 AM

13,981 posts, read 13,761,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohnslaw View Post
The MTA is a disgrace outside of Manhattan
Downtown Brooklyn and Long Island City, Queens area trains, buses are pretty fast.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:59 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,334,673 times
"The redesign comes as buses in the Bronx move even slower than they did before the pandemic. MTA data shows the borough’s buses moved at an average pace of 7.4 mph last month, down from 7.5 mph in January 2020."

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...outputType=amp

If this is not an eye opener, I don't know what is; this is not shocking at all. On Bronx buses, esp East Bronx, I feel like we stop at almost every single light. The buses csn hardly even accelerate due to damn Stop button being pressed so many times. I know I might sound like an a**, but I wish they would have cut about 25% versus the average of 18% of stops. I'm really looking forward to this overall. It will be implemented after winter and so can use when bad weather this year. Even with the cut, which to me is modest given the ridiculous amount of stops in East Bronx/perhaps the entire borough, the average distance between bus stops is still far shorter than the other boroughs.

It kind of looked like certain express buses like the frequency got reduced. Not by a lot though
..I don't think.

Old 11-05-2021, 07:10 PM

4,436 posts, read 7,643,750 times
Good (actually, great, and THE most necessary!)......Reroute and overhaul of the Bx36. Too many existing turns along 174, Cross Bronx, Boston Road and 180 Street and caught up in traffic, especially into Tremont/Webster! THE most necessary overhaul in the Bronx! MTA finally getting this route right. First, it made it a "double-bus!" (that ultra-packed single bus was insane!). Now, the reroute!

"Bad" (if you live in Co-Op City): No direct Bx29 to City Island. Gotta transfer! Good for everyone else, because of increased service, with less waits at Pelham Bay Park station.

Uncertain.....Bxm10 routes replacing Bxm6, and going into Morris Park, during off-peak and weekends. I see why this was done. The BxM6 route is too short, and two few people on the bus, especially during off-peaks and weekends.

Would love to see, from the outside.........a Westchester Bee Line route (60A, or something) to Parkchester, from along Boston Road! Wishful thinking, since I frequent New Rochelle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City