Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 07:33 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Old thinking like this is why we have $1 Billion per stop subway projects in NYC

There's no way Elon would propose a $50 million subway tunnel going under the bay from SI to Battery Park because he's actually in the tunneling business to make money so has to have some depth of knowledge and recognize that trying to base that cost on a proportional length increase of a very different narrow-bore, shallow depth tunnel with intermittent shallow water crossings would be idiotic. That's for idiots to say, and he's pretty clearly not an idiot.

There's a massive difference to split between a $50 million and $5 billion, but maybe numbers aren't your forte either so it's hard for you to grasp that.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-23-2021 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
It might be popular due to having a direct route to Midtown. $2.75 is not much to pay.

Aside from Midtown, it also serves the Battery Park City ferry stop which is about a half hour or so walk from SI Ferry terminal so there can be some substantial time savings for people headed around there with the World Trade Center complex and surroundings office buildings.

I think the problem with the ferries is that they're pretty expensive per rider unless running jam packed. The thing that probably made them attractive is the relatively low starting capital cost, but it's more difficult to figure out ways to safely lower their operating costs. I do think that for this ferry trip, it probably would have made more sense for NYC to have reached out to other municipal or even state officials and made just one more stop at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken where there's also a light rail stop and a lot of ongoing dense development as that'd likely be a technically easy and popular extension and could supposedly then open up for funding from other sources.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:14 PM

19,041 posts, read 13,955,559 times
30 minutes to walk from Whitehall to Battery Park City? Lol Are you serious? Maybe for 65+ people with severe disabilities.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 08-24-2021, 03:19 PM

31,907 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
30 minutes to walk from Whitehall to Battery Park City? Lol Are you serious? Maybe for 65+ people with severe disabilities.
*Thank you!*

Maybe also for some females in high heels

Old 08-24-2021, 04:27 PM

1,064 posts, read 544,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Aside from Midtown, it also serves the Battery Park City ferry stop which is about a half hour or so walk from SI Ferry terminal so there can be some substantial time savings for people headed around there with the World Trade Center complex and surroundings office buildings.
Didn't know that. Makes sense.

Old 08-24-2021, 04:36 PM

5,676 posts, read 2,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Thank you!*

Naw I can do that walk in 15 minutes in stilettos!

Old 08-24-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Easily. I make it to Bowling Green in like 3 minutes max. Battery Park City is like 3 blocks past that.

Point being, as others said, unless going to the further stop, this ferry is silly. The SI ferry takes about 25 minutes to Whitehall. Pay $2.75 to save 7 minutes?

Those who pay attention to SI news know what happened here. Multiple south shore sites were proposed for years for this ferry. De-bag nixed them because of the south shore demographics. Period, end of story.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Last edited by Airborneguy; 08-24-2021 at 05:39 PM..

Old 08-24-2021, 06:41 PM

1,064 posts, read 544,389 times
I walk faster than some and slower than others and I don't know the route but Google says it's 1.3 miles which according to them is 25 min walk.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Whit...d40.715179!3e2

Old 08-24-2021, 07:08 PM

Battery Park City starts at Battery Pl and West St.

But you have a point: to the docking site.

I'd love to see how many workers this route benefits. Basically the Trade Center site and Goldman Sachs. I'd love to know how many north shore people are making that commute since the powers that be made clear they didn't want a new ferry serving the south shore whiteys. I guess we will find out soon if they're honest with the numbers.

Old 08-24-2021, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
*Thank you!*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Didn't know that. Makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
You're all right on that account, but I explicitly said the Battery Park City ferry stop from the Whitehall terminal ferry stop. The ferries don't land in the middle of Whitehall or in the middle of Battery Park City cutting through the land as NYC ferry doesn't currently operate amphibious vehicles. Here, let me show you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

I think the problem with the ferries is that they're pretty expensive per rider unless running jam packed. The thing that probably made them attractive is the relatively low starting capital cost, but it's more difficult to figure out ways to safely lower their operating costs. I do think that for this ferry trip, it probably would have made more sense for NYC to have reached out to other municipal or even state officials and made just one more stop at the Port Imperial ferry terminal in Weehawken where there's also a light rail stop and a lot of ongoing dense development as that'd likely be a technically easy and popular extension and could supposedly then open up for funding from other sources.
I'm still wrong on thirty minutes though--more like twenty five though obviously dependent on walking speed.

Quote:
Easily. I make it to Bowling Green in like 3 minutes max. Battery Park City is like 3 blocks past that.

Point being, as others said, unless going to the further stop, this ferry is silly. The SI ferry takes about 25 minutes to Whitehall. Pay $2.75 to save 7 minutes?

Those who pay attention to SI news know what happened here. Multiple south shore sites were proposed for years for this ferry. De-bag nixed them because of the south shore demographics. Period, end of story.
It's definitely a niche audience, but the $2.75 when opting for the NYC ferry to lower Manhattan versus SI ferry is probably for either 1) people headed near the Battery Park City ferry stop who would have transferred to a subway anyways and paid the fare or 2) people for whom the possible slight convenience and exclusivity matter more than $2.75 each way. There are other relevant details like the NYC ferry stop is a slightly longer walk from the SI Railway and bus terminal and that the NYC ferry is at 30 min intervals at peak intervals. For those who would save some time and effort by taking this route to lower Manhattan, but with the $2.75 being a more substantial economic barrier, well, yea, the balkanization of NYC and the Tri-State Area's transit payment schema and media is incredibly stupid and needs reform. Definitely won't be arguing against that point (I think the ferry should also stop in Weehawken's ferry terminal in godless New Jersey outside of hallowed NYC grounds for crissakes) nor that the prize stop is probably up in Midtown near Hudson Yards for people both coming in/out of Staten Island or Battery Park City.

What I can't tell you is how large that the above group is, but there is a slight difference in where the ferry stops that's probably not negligible for everyone.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 08-24-2021 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City