Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 10:35 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,289,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
How many people do we think are actually squatting? Everyone I know is paying rent as always. Maybe it’s more of a thing in low income neighborhoods? Do we have any numbers?
When i joined the 'rent strike' social media pages, the majority (over 80% ) were the woke, white, performative BLM housing is a right and eviction is violence crowd.

Many did not live in low income neighborhood and most did not qualify for rental assistance due to not having lost their income, suffered substantial decrease to their income due to COVID or made less than whatever Area Median Income.

Whenever I or anyone would provide information about relief options (or point out how fool hardy it was to just stop paying rent and antagonize the landlord with no plans) our comments were deleted.

I think many will not qualify for the rental assistance this is why they are reluctant to apply.

Everyone I know (and all my tenants )paid on time or paid early and are not in arrears.

And imagine NYC the bastion of all things freeness and performative 'we are for the poor and downtrodden speeches' is being stingy with FREE federal funds. Such irony.

May the odds be in everyone's favor.

The banks have decided that they will soon factor rental payment history into mortgage qualifications. So if anyone was thinking of purchasing in the near future they had better have good payment history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 03:16 AM

106,139 posts, read 108,118,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logiatype View Post
That's least of it. We have printed ourselves into an inflationary nightmare. Once that inflationary spike happens, there will be a deflationary crash before massive hyperinflation. 50 years of bad fiscal policy, rampant spending, endless entitlements, and more is coming to a head.
Glad we have another one with a crystal ball that shows how things will play out off in the future . What you posted was what was said in the gold bug newsletters I use to get in the 1980s .

Anyone Remember heart our cult leader over on the Investment forum who thought things couldn’t play out any other way then the vision in his head ?

That was his storyline for a long time and anyone of his sheep that believed he had this divine power was hurt financially as they bought in to his story line .

There are always things on the radar that change the course of what seems the inevitable…..

Anyone who claims they know exactly how things play out should either be the worlds wealthiest person or just foolish in believing their own bull as a definitive answer.

I am not saying any of this is not a possibility, but I would never be so foolish as to say here is how it is going to play out like there is no other outcome or possibility that can happen .

Without an exact timeline that is actionable any prediction is useless .

Being close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Everything else worth predicting needs a timeline that one can act on .

I don’t follow all hearts prediction dates but I do remember the one on 3/17/2020

“If you follow my posts on here I predicted a correction in early 2020 where the little grasshoppers would get fried. Then we have a final moonshot in equities due to extreme CB intervention. It will be a quick manic run up over the course of the next few months. Then after the manic high wears off we get a 50+% bust in equities on the back half of 2020 into 2021. It will be absolutely brutal.

Needless to say after being so wrong he vanished from city data as most do when they predict and are wrong

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-27-2021 at 03:50 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
When i joined the 'rent strike' social media pages, the majority (over 80% ) were the woke, white, performative BLM housing is a right and eviction is violence crowd.

Many did not live in low income neighborhood and most did not qualify for rental assistance due to not having lost their income, suffered substantial decrease to their income due to COVID or made less than whatever Area Median Income.

Whenever I or anyone would provide information about relief options (or point out how fool hardy it was to just stop paying rent and antagonize the landlord with no plans) our comments were deleted.

I think many will not qualify for the rental assistance this is why they are reluctant to apply.

Everyone I know (and all my tenants )paid on time or paid early and are not in arrears.

And imagine NYC the bastion of all things freeness and performative 'we are for the poor and downtrodden speeches' is being stingy with FREE federal funds. Such irony.

May the odds be in everyone's favor.

The banks have decided that they will soon factor rental payment history into mortgage qualifications. So if anyone was thinking of purchasing in the near future they had better have good payment history.
The problem is small landlords cannot report to the credit agencies unless they pay to be members of that agency .so unless you live in a big development usually rental non payment is never recorded in credit history .

It would have to be something that actually went through the court system for the reporting agency to pick it up.

Or they would have to track down ex landlords And ask them , but that is pretty unreliable information .

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-27-2021 at 03:42 AM..

Old 08-27-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
How many full weeks of NYS UI benefits are possible?

Been layed off since 3/2020, and officially fired in 3 /2021. Apart from the federal extra $300, will most nyers in my shoes be out regular UI benefits as well?

Many will be back to some kind of work once the kids are back to full day,in person school. What kind of work?, will both parents work ? or stay home making babies?

We going into an uncertain fall people!
It tells you on your count down of eligible days when you log in to payments history …4 days counts as a week so it tells you how many days left you have .

I assume you collected since March 2020 as that part is not made clear .

So if it says 48 days you divide that by 4 and that tells you how many weeks left

Unless that gets changed since the extended unemployment after a year is dependent on unemployment rates if I remember .

The 300 ends on sept 6 I believe.

It is a while since I looked at any of this stuff but I still think it works the same way

Old 08-27-2021, 06:17 AM

1,888 posts, read 1,170,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
If this is accurate, the number of people not paying rent at this point in time compared to the same point in time in 2019 is essentially unchanged: https://www.nmhc.org/research-insigh...yment-tracker/

That said, from what I gather, you still have a lot of people who are behind on rent, even if they have generally started to pay again. And then you still have those who aren't paying rent today. Taken together--and regardless of the reasons why people are behind or not paying rent today--those affected LLs are upset that their constitutional right to enforce their contracts are being infringed.
On a national level, there are plenty taking advantage of the moratorium. Its too tempting not too, for those who like immediate gratification.

Know some Landlords owed 400, 500k! They are not even that big in amount of properties owed.

Look at the inflation caused too by all this cheap, free money.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
On a national level, there are plenty taking advantage of the moratorium. Its too tempting not too, for those who like immediate gratification.

Know some Landlords owed 400, 500k! They are not even that big in amount of properties owed.

Look at the inflation caused too by all this cheap, free money.
What we are seeing in inflation for the most part is not from easy money .

As mircea said

Many things, but not everything, which is proof of Monetary Inflation is not out of control or even having an impact.

The price of many things increasing is proof of Demand-pull Inflation, which the Federal Reserve cannot control or cause or stop.

STUPID-19 has caused some reduced productivity, so Supply levels are low, but with Demand remaining constant or increasing, prices naturally rise. That is not Monetary Inflation, but it is Demand-pull Inflation, which the Federal Reserve did not cause, cannot control and cannot stop.

Fuel prices also have an effect costs relative to transportation/delivery of goods and resources. Again, that is Demand-pull Inflation and not Monetary Inflation.

When Demand-pull Inflation exists, you can:

1) Stop freaking consuming, which reduces Demand and lowers prices; and/or
2) Seek substitutes for those things affected by Demand-pull Inflation; and/or
3) Increase Supply or the Rate of Increase of Supply to match Demand and keep prices from rising further or actually lowering prices.

As everyone can plainly see, the Federal Reserve has nothing to do with any of that. It's all you.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:16 AM

1,904 posts, read 725,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
How is $300 going to pay rent?

And what's the difference in getting it in one lump sum on your taxes vs. monthly installments?
It makes it clear that these "child tax credits" are welfare by another name.

Hey single tech bros, look at your paycheck and see how much in taxes you pay to the feds. Your co worker with a kid recently got a $300/mo raise. Tax free. He creates the inflation you will eat.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:21 AM

1,046 posts, read 464,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggiezz View Post
It makes it clear that these "child tax credits" are welfare by another name.

Hey single tech bros, look at your paycheck and see how much in taxes you pay to the feds. Your co worker with a kid recently got a $300/mo raise. Tax free. He creates the inflation you will eat.
This "child tax credit" has existed for years and years. It's just being handed out in installments rather than taking it out on your taxes.

Literally nothing has changed about it other than when you get it.

This isn't some brand new thing.

Old 08-27-2021, 07:25 AM

1,904 posts, read 725,194 times
Quote:
This "child tax credit" has existed for years and years. It's just being handed out in installments rather than taking it out on your taxes.

Literally nothing has changed about it other than when you get it.

This isn't some brand new thing.
You don't have to pay taxes to get the "child tax credit". It's disguised welfare. And they're getting it monthly now.

Old 08-27-2021, 08:08 AM

2,303 posts, read 1,131,696 times
Quote:

Now it's up to congress to extend the moratorium within the clearly defined limits of the US Constitution, which means that no future moratorium law will be found constitutional. Property rights are guaranteed under our Constitution. No law can force a property owner to provide free housing for anyone under any circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City