Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 08:53 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
There are fewer 'guys' around who do that kind of nasty business. Insurance companies learned from the 1970s and investigate thoroughly before paying out on fire insurance claims. And there are cameras everywhere today.
When I lived down in the Village after college I knew a guy that would get ANYONE to leave if needed. "Joe Bird" was his name. He'd squat in your apartment and make your life hell. No way to get him out as the landlords would give him paperwork showing he lived there and the cops didn't care. OMG that was a different time and only 20+ years ago.

I bumped into him like five years ago and we chatted. He said, and I quote "You should invite me over to your place so I can smear my **** all over your floors!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2021, 08:55 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Most Americans, not just those who are subsidized in one of the hundreds of different ways different people at different levels are subsidized, can't afford to have kids... they just don't realize it. Europeans began to figure this out a few decades ago and stopped making babies. Americans are beginning to figure it out but it creates a whole other set of problems.

It's estimated that it costs between $250,000 and $300,000 to raise one child to age 18 through high school with a public school education. That doesn't include private education, college ,weddings, catastrophic illness, or any of that. If you start to add in things like that it can often get up to around $400,000 or $500,000 or more. That's ten whole years of income for a lot of people. If you have 3 kids let's say, you definitely could face the prospect of living out your golden years working until you drop and living in a trailer park in Florida with no medical insurance, no cable tv and no teeth and going to a food bank every week.
I've been beating this drum for years but people ain't trying to hear it.

Old 08-28-2021, 09:01 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Who cares, apprently there's plenty of jobs out there for hire that one can afford to pay rent with

So whoever didn't have a job will have one in a few weeks and LLs will get their rent again
Let's not over simplify things for convenience sake. They aren't getting the rent Money back from anyone except the government. They can sue but in all likelihood the tenants will just declare bankruptcy and then those courts will be blocked up and LLs get pennies on the dollar, especially in NYC.

The reality is far more complicated, and that's where BlackRock will swoop in and buy at below market.

By the year 2040 1 in 5 American's landlord will be BlackRock.

You will own nothing and like it.

Old 08-29-2021, 03:38 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Perhaps I wasn't specific enough. Extended UI. Tax credits, non payment of rent, etc all that money being spent also is a factor
The big factor here is that all this money given out is either paying for existing bills , saved or when spent it doesn’t buy this and that it buys this or that ..so while people spend it on one thing , something else takes a hit .

So right now we actually have the auto chip shortage accounting for fully 1/3 of the increase in the cpi as new and used cars soar in price …

Inflation will Drop like a rock most likely as supply chains catch up with demand

Old 08-29-2021, 07:31 AM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Let's not over simplify things for convenience sake. They aren't getting the rent Money back from anyone except the government. They can sue but in all likelihood the tenants will just declare bankruptcy and then those courts will be blocked up and LLs get pennies on the dollar, especially in NYC.

The reality is far more complicated, and that's where BlackRock will swoop in and buy at below market.

By the year 2040 1 in 5 American's landlord will be BlackRock.

You will own nothing and like it.
Who said you own anything now? Nobody owns their house outright as long as they have to pay property taxes on it. Don't pay and see how long you own it thereafter. A car? Once the note is paid off its yours. Doesn't work like that with a house or land.

However, we all form our opinions of the world based on our perceptions. So if you feel you believe you own your house, then you own your house. Just keep paying the taxes until further notice and the perception turns into reality - as long as you pay.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-29-2021, 07:33 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
well you do own the house , the deed says so , but that does not mean you cant lose it for non payment...

we won a house in a tax lien sale in new jersey years ago so it happens .

Old 08-29-2021, 12:15 PM

1,913 posts, read 739,234 times
From WSJ:

Quote:
Only about 11% of the $47 billion program for rental assistance created by Congress to help tenants and landlords and prevent evictions had been distributed, the U.S. Treasury Department said this week.
$1 for delinquent renters. $9 for politicians and bureaucrats. Wake up. It's a kleptocracy.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/renters...ng-11630102006

Old 08-29-2021, 02:50 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,152,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
When I lived down in the Village after college I knew a guy that would get ANYONE to leave if needed. "Joe Bird" was his name. He'd squat in your apartment and make your life hell. No way to get him out as the landlords would give him paperwork showing he lived there and the cops didn't care. OMG that was a different time and only 20+ years ago.

I bumped into him like five years ago and we chatted. He said, and I quote "You should invite me over to your place so I can smear my **** all over your floors!"

Funny story about 'Mr. Defecation' but the 'guys' I'm talking about were way worse than that. In the 1970s if an unscrupulous landlord wanted to clear out a building one of these guys would take care of it. Very dangerous and ugly business. A friend in the insurance business once told me that in the NY (and NJ) of the 1970s it was very difficult to prove arson. A lot of those buildings that burned to the ground in Brooklyn and the Bronx were the work of arsonists. The rest were the work of tenants burning themselves out of their buildings to get into the NYCHA projects.

Old 08-29-2021, 02:53 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,519 times
Quote:
Funny story about 'Mr. Defecation' but the 'guys' I'm talking about were way worse than that. In the 1970s if an unscrupulous landlord wanted to clear out a building one of these guys would take care of it. Very dangerous and ugly business. A friend in the insurance business once told me that in the NY (and NJ) of the 1970s it was very difficult to prove arson. A lot of those buildings that burned to the ground in Brooklyn and the Bronx were the work of arsonists. The rest were the work of tenants burning themselves out of their buildings to get into the NYCHA projects.
That was before my time, but yea, I heard all about those days. Crazy.

Old 08-29-2021, 04:46 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
That's a first I've ever heard of that... lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City