U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2021, 11:51 AM

8,478 posts, read 3,777,776 times

Advertisements

Free ice cream! FYI

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/thin...box=1630698192

On one of the darkest days of the year, September 11, there will be a massive ice cream social to lift the spirits of New Yorkers in Prospect Park.

The nonprofit Holes in the Wall Collective has enlisted the help of Ample Hills to provide free Ice cream scoops from 3 to 5pm at Long Meadow. The all-female band Brass Queens will provide live music and Gowanus machinist Zachary Bruner will lead a spoon raffle. There will also be an "interactive teaspoon brigade seesaw" that you can ride on. All you need to do is bring your own spoon to the event.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2021, 04:13 PM

13,443 posts, read 4,702,409 times
I don't like it....

Twin Towers = Ice cream spoons and a Rock Concert

What will the dark day surrounding George Floyd's Death,
the toppling of monuments or the burning of cities bring?
An Inflatable water park event, barbecues and rap music?

How about simply a moment of silence and reflection rather than
attempting to water down and dark moments in our history with fun and games.

Old 09-05-2021, 04:28 PM

2,914 posts, read 1,251,565 times
The families of 911 victims are trying to sue Saudis. I find that very sad. The US government has moved on a log time ago and now we have a stuffed corpse for a president. We invaded the country that had nothing to do with it and everything is going as if nothing ever happened.

The real tragedy is that 3000+ people died and we still dont know what really happened. Not a big fan of John Stewart, but that guys tried his best to help out survivors of that horrible day. I remember all of it as I was 22.

Old 09-05-2021, 05:04 PM

14,026 posts, read 13,118,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
Free ice cream! FYI

On one of the darkest days of the year, September 11, there will be a massive ice cream social to lift the spirits of New Yorkers in Prospect Park. The nonprofit Holes in the Wall Collective has enlisted the help of Ample Hills to provide free Ice cream scoops from 3 to 5pm at Long Meadow. The all-female band Brass Queens will provide live music and Gowanus machinist Zachary Bruner will lead a spoon raffle. There will also be an "interactive teaspoon brigade seesaw" that you can ride on. All you need to do is bring your own spoon to the event.
What an utterly charming idea!

Okay, it's on 9/11, but I suspect there's an element of thank-god-there-may-be-a-light-at-the-end-of-the-covid-tunnel.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:23 PM

8,478 posts, read 3,777,776 times
You can do both. Quietly reflect and mourn and also celebrate life.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:08 AM

13,443 posts, read 4,702,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
You can do both. Quietly reflect and mourn and also celebrate life.
Yes I agree.

Quietly reflect and mourn our dead.

Celebrate Life separate and aside ....but not in the name of the dead.....

Old 09-06-2021, 11:45 AM

10,744 posts, read 11,208,504 times
Everything becomes commercialized. We have President's Day sales with an actor portraying Abe Lincoln trying to sell you a car.

Old 09-09-2021, 05:50 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,530,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
The families of 911 victims are trying to sue Saudis. I find that very sad. The US government has moved on a log time ago and now we have a stuffed corpse for a president. We invaded the country that had nothing to do with it and everything is going as if nothing ever happened.

The real tragedy is that 3000+ people died and we still dont know what really happened. Not a big fan of John Stewart, but that guys tried his best to help out survivors of that horrible day. I remember all of it as I was 22.
This is spot on. I was there as well and damn what a haunting day, that smell, the fact that we didn't know what was going on yet many of us tried to help.

I'm never going to ground zero/freedom tower. Don't care about buildings, I care about the people that perished.

I feel the same way about Jon Stewart however I give him tons of credit for what he tried to do.

Sadly with each passing year the memory of that day dwindles, the people who were there and the health problems they suffered, pass on.

I can't believe it's been 20 years, I remember it like it was yesterday..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City