Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 09:16 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
The pre-teen girls parading in basically nothing at these events-- how do their parents let them do that?
They're celebrating their culture .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2021, 05:22 PM

5,813 posts, read 2,940,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dehumidifier View Post
The pre-teen girls parading in basically nothing at these events-- how do their parents let them do that?
Those parents are grand parents already, so semi retired.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:20 PM

1,057 posts, read 547,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Those parents are grand parents already, so semi retired.
If they're not they will be 9 months after the parade.

Old 09-08-2021, 07:23 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It may not be PC but it’s the truth. Of course the truth can hurt people’s feelings and nowadays we cannot have hurt feelings, right?
The same can be said about the bulk of the world, to include most US states. But to what end? Saying something that is "true" (and true in this context is subjective as what some consider a culture worth celebrating others, won't) is neither always necessary nor always proper form. Someone can be obese, but why would I walk up and call them fat to their face?

Truth is fine, but people should accept that their truth may not be others' truth.

Onto the topic at hand, the Caribbean largely is a tourism-driven economy, though a couple of countries in the region are outliers in this regard and rely heavily on industry to include petroleum and petrochemicals (think Trinidad and Tobago).

I, for one, see no problem with people taking pride in where they come from. The way I look at things, what others think of where I come from is of no consequence to me as long as I care about it.

Old 09-08-2021, 09:11 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
What culture? Crime? High unemployment? High poverty? Low productivity? Virtually no industry?
Bwhahaha you wouldn’t be saying this if it was the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade with people getting drunk, fighting, yelling, and punching people.

Please.

No industry? A lot of the intricate and elaborate costumes take months to make and theyre litterally in high demand.

I agree it’s probably not on the same level of the Trinindad carnival but it does take skill to make and I know the steel pan bands put in a lot of practice for the parade.

Yes they are celebrating their culture.

Last edited by Relaxx; 09-08-2021 at 09:20 PM..

Old 09-08-2021, 09:32 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,700,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
It may not be PC but it’s the truth. Of course the truth can hurt people’s feelings and nowadays we cannot have hurt feelings, right?
No it’s not the truth.

There is cultural and historic significance to the West Indian Day Parade and Puerto Rican Day Parades and just as much as the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade and Chinese New Year.

There are steel pan bands that march in the parade (which also compete against each other in Trinidad), a lot of various costumes from various islands, and dancers.

They also usually have some dancehall artists, and you’ll usually hear a lot Haitian carnival songs featured if you’re familiar with the parade. If you’re familiar with the carnivals in Latin America and the Caribbean and New Orleans you can see some very clear similarities.

Of course from news media it looks like a huge street party and you have gang members and idiots who show up and give the parades a bad reputation.

I don’t think it’s that serious and no ones feelings are really hurt as much as you think they are

Last edited by Relaxx; 09-08-2021 at 09:43 PM..

Old 09-09-2021, 04:05 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The same can be said about the bulk of the world, to include most US states. But to what end? Saying something that is "true" (and true in this context is subjective as what some consider a culture worth celebrating others, won't) is neither always necessary nor always proper form. Someone can be obese, but why would I walk up and call them fat to their face?

Truth is fine, but people should accept that their truth may not be others' truth.

Onto the topic at hand, the Caribbean largely is a tourism-driven economy, though a couple of countries in the region are outliers in this regard and rely heavily on industry to include petroleum and petrochemicals (think Trinidad and Tobago).

I, for one, see no problem with people taking pride in where they come from. The way I look at things, what others think of where I come from is of no consequence to me as long as I care about it.
Most US states? Compare the GDP of each state to the Caribbean nations. Vermont has the lowest GDP at around $33bn.

Old 09-09-2021, 07:10 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Bwhahaha you wouldn’t be saying this if it was the Saint Patrick’s Day Parade with people getting drunk, fighting, yelling, and punching people.

Please.
I don't know about you but I'd rather deal with a few drunks than deal with the shootings, rapes and murders that are committed at this event.

Old 08-31-2022, 02:01 PM

2,441 posts, read 1,217,135 times
So that time of the year is coming up again. I'll start the pool

I say 7 shot 3 killed.

With the insane level of crime recently, it could be a bad one.

Old 08-31-2022, 03:08 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
I would like to wager 6 people shot, 3 dead, 4 women raped and about 10 people assaulted. For extra points 14-16 arrested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City