Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 07:52 AM

18,850 posts, read 13,745,358 times

Advertisements

No. Cops enforce the law. Courts uphold the law. The previous poster was correct.

There is a major difference between the two words.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2021, 07:57 AM

33,398 posts, read 46,833,373 times
No wonder why they don't teach this to civilians

To the average Joe these semantics don't matter

Thanks for the free lesson

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-23-2021, 08:28 AM

18,850 posts, read 13,745,358 times
College does, but that's part of the problem with our country now. High school has become so dumbed down that college is necessary just to become a functioning adult even though its rarely necessary for lucrative careers.

The human mind has developed enough by the high school years to grasp these simple concepts. The problem lies in that the warped education system no longer wants to teach anything beyond grievance culture. Truly intelligent, educated individuals do not become members of the victim class. They become threats to the ideology that most professional educators seem to ascribe to.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-23-2021, 08:36 AM

College is not free last I checked unless you have a scholarship

So basically you have to pay for this information

But I've never attended a high school class where the actual roles of municipal police and courts were discussed, and I went to private and public high schools.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM

5,425 posts, read 5,655,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
College is not free last I checked unless you have a scholarship

So basically you have to pay for this information

But I've never attended a high school class where the actual roles of municipal police and courts were discussed, and I went to private and public high schools.
Most social studies classes now are just a cover for teachers to show their own political activism instead of teaching children the basics of how our government operates. This is the case now and 20 years ago. You only think about it in retrospect once you're an adult though.

Old 09-23-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Most social studies classes now are just a cover for teachers to show their own political activism instead of teaching children the basics of how our government operates. This is the case now and 20 years ago. You only think about it in retrospect once you're an adult though.
For those native to NYC aged 50 or older who post here, did you ever learn about NYC municipal government in any school before college (public, private or parochial)?

Old 09-25-2021, 04:50 PM

15,847 posts, read 6,658,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
FYI

https://www.brooklynpaper.com/crime-...yc-stats-nypd/

This summer in New York City was significantly less violent than last year — as murders, shootings, and assaults all saw sharp declines between June and August of 2021, compared with 2020.

“We know that the summer is always a challenging time here,” said NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea. “I am happy to report that this is now three months in the bank where we have really turned the corner in terms of pushing back on that violence with all of our partners.”

Throughout the Five Boroughs, the NYPD recorded 115 homicides in that three-month stretch this year, which represents a 27 percent decline compared with the previous year, when New York City saw 158 killings.

Similarly, shooting incidents dropped 28.8 percent, from 689 to 490 this year, while felony assaults decreased from 6,216 to 6,168 year-over-year between June and August.

“This is now three months in a row — June, July, and August,” Shea said. “And the expectation is 100 percent that when we finish this year, we’re going to string together month-after-month of reducing shootings. That’s our task in front of us and I firmly believe we’re going to accomplish that.”

Good news, but context is needed.

While the decline in violence this year compared to last is undoubtedly welcome news, the numbers remain high relative to the average statistics throughout Mayor Bill de Blasio’s seven-and-a-half-year tenure as the city’s chief executive.
Yup.......................DeBlasios' lows are higher than Guiliani's and Bloombergs lows per population...He was supposed to continue with the trend....

Can't wait for November.....Na na na na....Na na na na.....Hey Hey Hey.................Goodbye.......

Old 09-25-2021, 05:30 PM

606 posts, read 235,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
For those native to NYC aged 50 or older who post here, did you ever learn about NYC municipal government in any school before college (public, private or parochial)?
Not 50 ...yet... but, yea I didn't learn ANYTHING about taxes, courts, municipal government, the way congress or the senate is ...supposed... to work in High School. Nothing about any of that!

Not a damn thing except Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad from 1986 to 1998, ...maybe a blurb or 2 about the Rennaisance.

I had some decent science teachers, and -1- good literature teacher, who assigned "1984" and "Farenheit 451".

Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,689,043 times

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/nypd/dow...en-us-city.pdf

Sept 13-19

left 3 columns comparing that week in 2021 to 2020

murder down 41.7%

shooting victims up 17.6%

shooting incidents up 6.9%

If you look at year to date there is not a lot of variance (Jan-Sept 19)

Murders have been up 43% compared to 2 years ago
but down 13% compared to 11 years ago (2010)

Old 09-25-2021, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousMaximum View Post
Not 50 ...yet... but, yea I didn't learn ANYTHING about taxes, courts, municipal government, the way congress or the senate is ...supposed... to work in High School. Nothing about any of that!

Not a damn thing except Harriet Tubman and the Underground Railroad from 1986 to 1998, ...maybe a blurb or 2 about the Rennaisance.

I had some decent science teachers, and -1- good literature teacher, who assigned "1984" and "Farenheit 451".
Thanks for confirming.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: