Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 12:53 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Yes for sure. There are thousands of San Diegans who do just that. As I mentioned I've had a place on both sides of the border the entire time. Usually people are "stuck" in TJ due to the cost of living in SDD or are very hard up for money and more than likely working hand to mouth everyday. There are also many SSI recipients who otherwise would not be able to survive in San Diego. These people don't have the same experience as me unfortunately.

The problem with living down there 24/7 is having to cross all the time for medical appts or work. I have a fast track pass called a Global Entry which basically allows me to cut the line but even then it can be a chore. Especially when very few stations are occupied by CBP agents. Also if you get into a 911 medical megerncy down there you are screwed or you better have a friend with a car AND a Global Entry card to rush you across the border. I've seen people have heart attacks and the EMT taking 30 minutes to get there.

TJ can be a great experience with a lot of fun times but there is definitely a few things to consider before moving down there. IMO doing what I did having a place on ether side is ideal.
Interesting, I hadn't considered that. I thought there were a decent amount of retirees there (who would need reliable medical care).

You'll find a lot of NY haters on this site. I couldn't imagine living anywhere else in the US personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 02:15 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,718,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post

BTW, there is lots of crime in NYC now with the Democrats running it, criminals are released with no bail required on over 200 crimes, one guy was arrested and released three times in one night!
Crime is lower now than under the Bloomberg administration

there are just more cameras now capturing everything

Old 09-14-2021, 06:30 PM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
Default greener pastures??!!

you've clearly outgrown san diego. i am a native bronxite and left 20 years ago, living as an expat in mexico city. i moved back to a suburban town in new jersey. in my opinion, i would consider shabby chic new york city suburbs right on train lines and/or san miguel allende, todos santos, or antigua guatemala, where you can teach english.

Old 09-14-2021, 06:32 PM

215 posts, read 200,540 times
how about florida haters?

Old 09-14-2021, 06:50 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Constrained access to Tijuana hookers so you want to come back to NYC?

Old 09-14-2021, 07:15 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
you've clearly outgrown san diego. i am a native bronxite and left 20 years ago, living as an expat in mexico city. i moved back to a suburban town in new jersey. in my opinion, i would consider shabby chic new york city suburbs right on train lines and/or san miguel allende, todos santos, or antigua guatemala, where you can teach english.
Mexico City is an amazing city. Great Food and tons of things to do but it is a really fast paced life. Living there can actually be way more stressful than NYC.

Good Luck with it.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodrigo1974 View Post
how about florida haters?
I would never step foot in Florida again. I lasted literally y 6 months down there. There are several good reasons not to like Florida

......but this is about SD > NYC.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Constrained access to Tijuana hookers so you want to come back to NYC?
LOL

Believe it or not the door to Tijuana has been open the entire time. Essential or non-essential travelers have been welcome and go back and forth since the day Covid dropped. Are people still crossing for entertainment purposes ? For Sure but you must question what type of people are foolish enough to go into crowded border cities during a Global Viral Pandemic....not me.

Old 09-16-2021, 12:23 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,749,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Crime is lower now than under the Bloomberg administration

there are just more cameras now capturing everything
Shooting tonight at 60th and Madison, near where the OP wants to move, and that's the upscale part of the upper east side. Don't forget the Democrats are anti-cop, want the police defunded, etc. Why would a cop risk his job, pension, and maybe do prison time etc. to save me from a thug when in NYC the dead thug would be considered a hero and the cop a murderer? We've seen this scenario play over and over again around the country. I never venture into a Democratic run NYC, and I am a 20 minute train ride away. Jeez, we weren't even safe in a darn nursing home because Cuomo hated Trump so much he didn't use the Javits Center or the Navy ship Trump gave him for covid patients and thousands died when Cuomo put them in nursing homes. I refuse to put myself in danger due to the political climate in NYC, especially when the thugs don't have to post bail and are released, and now with all the illegals coming in, forget it. Maybe the OP should stay safer in California after all.

Last edited by wp169; 09-16-2021 at 12:35 AM..

Old 09-16-2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Shooting tonight at 60th and Madison, near where the OP wants to move,
60th and Madison is nowhere near 96th St. and the bowels (1st 2nd York) of the Upper East Side.

Although I do know people who live close by and that definitely is a BAD area for a shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City