Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 02:59 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
Hahaha, now it's crystal clear you have no idea what you're talking about. Did you not know that the reason most of the TJ's employees have their jobs is because they have outgoing personalities? That's WHY they're hired, not just to ring up groceries like at other stores. Since they're hired to have outgoing personalities and use those personalities, then YES their job is to talk to customers.

You're a riot. Such a know it all... know nothing.

"Trader Joe’s makes it a priority to hire nice people. Speaking about this Trader Joe’s President, Bryan Palbaum said that Trader Joe’s explicitly tries to find people that have “outwardly nice” personalities since it is hard to “train someone to be nice”. One of Trader Joe’s former CEOs, John Shields, said that he wouldn’t hire someone if they didn’t smile within the first 30 seconds of an interview. The nice and friendly people Trader Joe’s hires attracts similar people to work there creating a positive working environment."
I've had just as many cashier's who don't say anything except "hello" as those who chat. CEOs talk up their companies. What's new?

Do you even believe the stuff you write?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, the H Mart there is more for some of the southeast and east Asians that live in Jackson Heights and Elmhurst rather than the Latin American immigrants. Have you been to Jackson Heights recently? The southwestern portions of it close to Woodside has a lot of east and southeast Asian people and shops. Jackson Heights is very dense as a neighborhood, so even though it's majority hispanic, it can still have large numbers of non-Hispanic people.

I grew up with TJ's and have been to one before they even existed in NYC. I must be a far more qualified expert on this matter than you, lol! What joy you get and give from going from one banned account to another saying one clueless thing after another!
You're making my point for me? Businesses have a target demo. HMart builds it's stores for a certain demo. Just because I like to go there from time to time doesn't mean they should build one where I live. Same goes for TJs.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Any grocery store would be happy to have their shoppers be exclusive shoppers--that's just kind of a nothing statement. H Mart wants its shoppers to go to H Mart rather than the other alternatives. So does Wegmans or Kam Man.

TJ's strongest selling point is its prepared foods, quick meal prep bits, and TJ-branded cheaper goods--basically, quick ways to get a meal cheaply, quickly, easy to store in reserve and without feeling like you're buying garbage. They're cheap and convenient compared to going out to even a local crown fried chicken what with stuff like a frozen chicken chow mein from TJ's being about 4 bucks and you can just pile them in your freezer for when you want it. They're mediocre for green grocer type stuff or national brands which means that they can exist pretty well alongside other grocery stores. NYC has a hell of a lot of density and so it's possible for neighborhoods to exist with multiple supermarkets catering to different tastes and still survive, and so it doesn't seem likely they point blank would not work in the Bronx at all since TJ's audience isn't restricted to a particularly specific or insular community nor does it need a particular large footprint. One thing we're seeing recently is the opening of more locations well away from Southern California like in NYC--if they're doing fine expanding quickly enough to fill three locations in one year and they're not closing down stores, then they're probably pretty confident in expanding further in NYC, so it's not absurd for them to have stores in some parts of the Bronx in the near future. What would be absurd is if they chose parts of the Bronx as their initial foothold in NYC.
Never claimed TJs wouldn't work in the BX. TJs still has better opportunities in NYC before they hit the BX. Businesses don't have unlimited cash (unless you're a bank). They tackle high ROI/IRR projects first.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:35 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You're making my point for me? Businesses have a target demo. HMart builds it's stores for a certain demo. Just because I like to go there from time to time doesn't mean they should build one where I live. Same goes for TJs.

Didn't claim that's not true. I'm saying that the Bronx does have places where the demographics would be favorable for it. Again, very high density means that there can be strong sales even if the majority isn't the target demographic. Add to that is that the Bronx being so large and populous as a whole means there are many parts large enough to support a somewhat small store like TJ's.

Quote:
Never claimed TJs wouldn't work in the BX. TJs still has better opportunities in NYC before they hit the BX. Businesses don't have unlimited cash (unless you're a bank). They tackle high ROI/IRR projects first.

TJ's expanding rapidly and this year will have seen 3 more openings. You got snarky with jjbradley for no discernible reason when he suggested three possible and reasonable sites in the Bronx. He didn't even put up a timeline. So with that, you then end up agreeing with him that eventually the Bronx will be part of an expansion? That's pretty clueless. Or trying to get people to recognize your expertise because you shopped there weekly for 5 years? Bud, c'mon, that's just silly. You don't think there are others who did that or for longer? You don't reckon that there are people here who've been going there well before it even opened in NYC? Why not just open another new account and chime in about how great your current account is at TJ siting? Get yourself some support!

Old 09-15-2021, 03:47 PM

1,064 posts, read 545,889 times
Quote:
Or trying to get people to recognize your expertise because you shopped there weekly for 5 years? Bud, c'mon, that's just silly. You don't think there are others who did that or for longer? You don't reckon that there are people here who've been going there well before it even opened in NYC?
I've been going to Trader Joe's since 2006. I guess that makes me... old.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Didn't claim that's not true. I'm saying that the Bronx does have places where the demographics would be favorable for it. Again, very high density means that there can be strong sales even if the majority isn't the target demographic. Add to that is that the Bronx being so large and populous as a whole means there are many parts large enough to support a somewhat small store like TJ's.

TJ's expanding rapidly and this year will have seen 3 more openings. You got snarky with jjbradley for no discernible reason when he suggested three possible and reasonable sites in the Bronx. He didn't even put up a timeline. So with that, you then end up agreeing with him that eventually the Bronx will be part of an expansion? That's pretty clueless. Or trying to get people to recognize your expertise because you shopped there weekly for 5 years? Bud, c'mon, that's just silly. You don't think there are others who did that or for longer? You don't reckon that there are people here who've been going there well before it even opened in NYC? Why not just open another new account and chime in about how great your current account is at TJ siting? Get yourself some support!
"Eventually". Eventually gas supercars that cost $1MM today will go for a relatively measley amount when even the cheapest electric car outperforms them.

Eventually is a useless term. Eventually TJs might be out of business or stop expanding. See how that works?

Old 09-15-2021, 06:15 PM

37,152 posts, read 39,404,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metromoxo View Post
I've been going to Trader Joe's since 2006. I guess that makes me... old.
Quote:
"Eventually". Eventually gas supercars that cost $1MM today will go for a relatively measley amount when even the cheapest electric car outperforms them.

Eventually is a useless term. Eventually TJs might be out of business or stop expanding. See how that works?

Sure, you say useless things and that doesn't vary from one account of yours to another. That's what you do. Like saying an ideal shopper for a grocery store is someone who does virtually ALL of their grocery shopping there. Sure, okay.

Nothing that jjbradley said was that wild, just your reaction to it. TJ's been expanding and in the near future, as he said, it's reasonable for there to be a TJ in the Bronx in the near future.

Old 09-15-2021, 06:56 PM

5,681 posts, read 2,612,281 times
Quote:

I have a feeling I know what poster that USED to be....They keep coming back like a cockroach.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 PM

957 posts, read 935,859 times
Why aren’t they ever in black neighborhoods?

Old 09-29-2021, 12:51 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,238,298 times
Isn’t there one in Harlem?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City