Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 09:38 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times

Advertisements

FYI

Mosquitoes love me but this year, haven't been bitten once. Guess, I've been lucky.

https://www.amny.com/news/new-york-c...summer-season/

With cases of West Nile virus on the rise, the city’s Health Department is calling on New Yorkers to do more to protect themselves from infected mosquitoes.

“While the end of summer is around the corner, we want all New Yorkers to be aware that mosquitoes are still active and we’ve seen record numbers of activity this season,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Dave A. Chokshi. “When outdoors, make sure you wear insect repellent and remove standing water from your property. If you observe standing water not on your property, please report it to 311.”

In New York City, mosquitoes are active from April through October, and New York City has over 40 species of mosquitoes, but West Nile virus is transmitted primarily by several Culex species, including Culex salinarius and Culex pipiens. A total of 9 cases of West Nile virus have been identified in the city: 4 from the Bronx, 2 from Queens, 1 each from Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Staten Island.

That breaks the record set in 2018, when 1,024 positive pools were found for the entire mosquito season. This year’s warm, wet weather may be contributing to these higher counts. To date, the Health Department has identified a record-breaking 1,039 West Nile virus-positive mosquito pools — skeeters gathered from the same trap site and tested together for the virus.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:35 PM

593 posts, read 470,530 times
Riverside Park in particular has a lot of swampy areas and mosquitoes. The city has basically done nothing there despite massive taxes that working and non-freeloading people pay in this area.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:51 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Are mosquitoes helping to spread Covid? Serious question. I'd imagine so, but not 100% sure.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:01 PM

500 posts, read 571,724 times
They could be eradicated. Mosquitoes kill more people globally than all other animals combined. They also have no known ecological purpose. I think we should make them extinct except for a few that could be left in labs in case it turns out they do have some purpose.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:04 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
They could be eradicated. Mosquitoes kill more people globally than all other animals combined. They also have no known ecological purpose. I think we should make them extinct except for a few that could be left in labs in case it turns out they do have some purpose.
Quote:
While they can seem pointless and purely irritating to us humans, mosquitoes do play a substantial role in the ecosystem. Mosquitoes form an important source of biomass in the food chain—serving as food for fish as larvae and for birds, bats and frogs as adult flies—and some species are important pollinators.
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smith...ats-180973517/

Old 09-15-2021, 10:47 AM

34,084 posts, read 47,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluttereagle View Post
Riverside Park in particular has a lot of swampy areas and mosquitoes. The city has basically done nothing there despite massive taxes that working and non-freeloading people pay in this area.
This was part of the OP:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
"If you observe standing water not on your property, please report it to 311.”
Good afternoon fluttereagle,

Do you frequent Riverside Park often? If so, you should report it to 311 and let us know what happens.

A bit unrelated to the mosquito topic, but this summer I reported a pothole on my MIL's street to DOT and they came and fixed it in about 3 weeks. So I think it would be worth your while to make the attempt to reach out to the city to let them know about the mosquito problem in Riverside Park.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-15-2021, 11:04 AM

8,936 posts, read 4,765,592 times
They've been spraying like mad here in Queens so calling 311 may just get you somewhere.

Last edited by SeventhFloor; 09-15-2021 at 12:17 PM..

Old 09-18-2021, 08:32 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlines View Post
Correction:
In the last 100 years Communism has killed more people than mosquitoes...................Beyond that you are correct.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:05 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
they got me several times

Old 09-18-2021, 09:25 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Are mosquitoes helping to spread Covid? Serious question. I'd imagine so, but not 100% sure.

People can get infected when they inhale or ingest the virus, but not via a blood transfusion. "There is absolutely no evidence of transfusion transmission for COVID-19, or any other coronavirus,

https://www.blood.ca/en/research/our...-19-from-blood

The risk of getting COVID-19 from eating or handling food and food packages is considered very low.

However on average, humans touch their faces 23 times per hour.
If somebody had COVID a runny nose and wiped their hand on their pants and then touched a doorknob or elevator button there may be virus particles there even though the person may have thought their hand was wiped off
Then you touch it
later you might touch the underside of your nose for a second unconsciously . Then you might breathe in those particles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City