Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 05:44 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times

Advertisements

https://qns.com/2021/09/police-searc...on-in-astoria/

Police from the 114th Precinct in Astoria are searching for a group of five people they suspect were responsible for throwing a Citi Bike onto the tracks at the Steinway Street subway station on Sunday, Sept. 19.

The NYPD released surveillance video and photos of the group of four men and one woman gathered in the vicinity of Steinway Street and Broadway just after 10 p.m. The group proceeded to the Steinway Street station and one of the men from the group threw a Citi Bike down the stairs from the street level to the station’s mezzanine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 07:41 PM

5,683 posts, read 2,612,281 times
I will tell you the problem is people just accept things. Oh there's mental ill on the street, oh their are kids putting lives in danger, oh the man is using his kid to beg for money. This has always happened in NYC, nothings new, it's how it is here.

I will give you an example, Today a woman was parked in by a car double parked and the driver gone for 30 minutes. I felt bad for her but didn't know who's car it was. Others said well this is NYC, this happens here, get used to it.

No one cares about something UNTIL it affects them. Many lack any sort of empath or compassion. Go travel other places and you will find a lot more decent, less self centered and self interest people.

Old 09-25-2021, 05:37 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times
I hope they catch those responsible ASAP and they face consequences!

Old 09-25-2021, 05:44 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,040,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I will tell you the problem is people just accept things. Oh there's mental ill on the street, oh their are kids putting lives in danger, oh the man is using his kid to beg for money. This has always happened in NYC, nothings new, it's how it is here.

I will give you an example, Today a woman was parked in by a car double parked and the driver gone for 30 minutes. I felt bad for her but didn't know who's car it was. Others said well this is NYC, this happens here, get used to it.

No one cares about something UNTIL it affects them. Many lack any sort of empath or compassion. Go travel other places and you will find a lot more decent, less self centered and self interest people.
That lack of common sense and empathy is spreading to the entire country.

Old 09-25-2021, 06:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,967 times
Let's call it what it is. This isn't the white, asian, or even Latino community causing issues.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:43 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:

NYC is a dog eat dog world and you know that. You really think the pandemic just caused people to stop being inconsiderate? What do you expect when you cram every culture in the world (possibly 10 million unverified) on a 300 square mile archipelago? Everything is in short supply. Jobs, relationships, housing, etc.

Even yesterday, me and wifey were grocery shopping, we went to self check-out, and as we were packing our bags, somebody came right behind us and stole our cart, didn't even ask us if we were done with it, we were planning to put our bags in it to transport it to the car still. We laughed it off.

If you want a less stressful pace of life then you need to go somewhere that has less of these issues. It's not so much as getting used to it, its rather recognizing what you're dealing with. This is why I really don't sweat the small stuff because I understand why its going on. All the empathy in the world is not going to change your surrounding circumstances, sadly. But hang in there though, I still believe the world (NYC included) is a beautiful place despite it all.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-25-2021, 09:02 AM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Hope they have video like this to quickly catch the culprit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs2gN-ChQgs
Is that still a thing, walking around with your pants pulled way down and your ass hanging out?

Old 09-25-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
NYC is a dog eat dog world and you know that. You really think the pandemic just caused people to stop being inconsiderate? What do you expect when you cram every culture in the world (possibly 10 million unverified) on a 300 square mile archipelago? Everything is in short supply. Jobs, relationships, housing, etc.

Even yesterday, me and wifey were grocery shopping, we went to self check-out, and as we were packing our bags, somebody came right behind us and stole our cart, didn't even ask us if we were done with it, we were planning to put our bags in it to transport it to the car still. We laughed it off.

If you want a less stressful pace of life then you need to go somewhere that has less of these issues. It's not so much as getting used to it, its rather recognizing what you're dealing with. This is why I really don't sweat the small stuff because I understand why its going on. All the empathy in the world is not going to change your surrounding circumstances, sadly. But hang in there though, I still believe the world (NYC included) is a beautiful place despite it all.
7th with all due respect we already know you have a lack of empathy and just accept anything.

Old 09-25-2021, 01:03 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
7th with all due respect we already know you have a lack of empathy and just accept anything.
Humor me

What are you doing to "not accept" what's currently going on? Posting about it here? I don't need the Rep points, maybe others do.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-25-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Humor me

What are you doing to "not accept" what's currently going on? Posting about it here? I don't need the Rep points, maybe others do.
I've already stated what I do on other threads. But here's the jist. I'm active in my community, I go to meetings, I contact local politicians (write, call, go to their office), I volunteer, I belong to organizations, do tenant association, contact the city, work with the local Police dept on issues...I could go on and on.

I'm not just someone who ******* and moans. Especially on a forum...Common now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City