Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 04:04 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,714,443 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhB3UK-S2dU&t=2428s

Anthony "cigars" Raimondi, age 68
He generally sounds believable to me as being who he says he is. He claims Meyer Lanksy as his mentor
To what extent do you think this stuff about Koch is true, false or exaggerated ?

58:46:00 -

1:04:14

Interviewer: guess in the book
you said that the way you actually
avoided getting you know arrested over
the years was because
you and your crew actually paid millions
of dollars to
the mayor at the time Ed Koch

Anthony Raimondi :
that was Koch
all the contracts we used to get from them oh
yeah we put them in.
We're the ones who
put him in office
because we started the fundraisers....

we got all the unions to go
from we got him in he would give us
contracts...

it was me,
Dominic Rayon who was the deputy
commissioner of veterans affairs,
Carmine DeSapio, a politician from Staten
Island,
there was Mike Dinacola who was a
Captain of Corrections officers, Hank
Velez who was another captain in the
correctional offices, Dominic Barbarino
I think an inspector or something...

I said listen we get this guy in (and)
we're made, we got the run of the city.
We got him in.
We got all the unions to go.
He would give us contracts...
We did a contract on
210th street and Morningside Drive
We put the bid in we were like
maybe four million dollars higher than
anybody else and we got the bid.
Bess Myerson was the bag lady because we
used to meet her. I used to meet her at
Dominic Grayone's house on Avenue O
He lived on the avenue O and I used to
bring the money there it's a
big like a plastic bag or a shopping bag

she you know we would give her a
contract she would say
you can get it this is what Ed wants two
million dollars here, a millionaire there,
three percent of this, two percent of this just
give him a flat fee like that.
and we always had it with them, always
had it with him
he had his hand out
just like Carmine DeSapio

Another item mentioned in the video but not expanded on:

Daily Mail

Mobster claims he helped POISON Pope John Paul I with cyanide and threatened to kill Pope John Paul II because they both tried to expose a billion dollar stock fraud scam involving cardinals and gangsters in Vatican City

A Vatican doctor would rule that John Paul suffered a heart attack, none the wiser to any alleged foul play.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...raud-scam.html

Last edited by jonbenson; 09-22-2021 at 05:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 11:13 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
I love the tracksuit.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:30 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
More B.S. Easy for some wiseguy to say things about a dead mayor. B.S.

Old 09-24-2021, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
More B.S. Easy for some wiseguy to say things about a dead mayor. B.S.
because it's easy to say doesn't mean it's untrue.

He mentioned a lot of names supposedly meeting with Bess Myerson

When one of these wiseguys tell stories you have to judge each one on plausibility and details or if some details might be true, others not
I hear people in comments who follow mobster lore and a lot of times if they have never heard of the guy they instantly write it off as all lies as if they know everything
On the other hand I don't buy a lot of what somebody like Gianni Russo says

"there isn't a person who is using cement or in construction that doesn't have to deal with the mafia day in and day out"
~Nancy Capasso

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Andrew_Capasso

Carl Andrew Capasso

Carl Andrew "Andy" Capasso (September 10, 1945 – March 14, 2001) was a sewer contractor, who was convicted of tax fraud.He was later accused of bribing judge Hortense Gabel by arranging, for the judge's daughter Sukhreet Gabel, a job with Bess Myerson. Myerson was indicted and resigned her positions with the City of New York, but was ultimately acquitted.

He married Nancy Herbert in 1966.

He started a construction company, Nanco Contracting Corporation, and won several contracts in New York City for sewer repair. In 1987 he was charged with writing off $1.2 million in renovations on his two Manhattan apartments as business expenses; and for receiving $300,000 in fraudulent damage claims against his own company without paying taxes on the income.

He was convicted of tax evasion and his company was barred from working for New York City.

He then served a four-year federal prison sentence at Federal Correctional Complex, Allenwood. In 1989 he used a front company to win a new contract.

He started dating Bess Myerson, and when his wife found out, they divorced. He was ordered to pay $1,500 a week in support by Judge Hortense Gabel. Capasso had Bess Myerson hire the daughter of Judge Gabel at the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs. Gabel then lowered his support payments to $500 a week. He died of pancreatic cancer on March 14, 2001 at age 55.

Last edited by jonbenson; 09-24-2021 at 11:59 AM..

Old 09-24-2021, 12:14 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,739,314 times
When most of those involved are dead , one can claim anything

Old 09-24-2021, 12:38 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If someone were so inclined, they could go back and look at the records on these jobs (likely moldering in some warehouse somewhere.) If companies with high bids were getting the jobs, it's likely true. But 40+ years later, with most of the people involved long dead, does anyone care?

Old 09-24-2021, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If someone were so inclined, they could go back and look at the records on these jobs (likely moldering in some warehouse somewhere.) If companies with high bids were getting the jobs, it's likely true. But 40+ years later, with most of the people involved long dead, does anyone care?
yes but how mobbed up is the construction business in NY in 2021 and since that time?

Old 09-24-2021, 01:02 PM

15,827 posts, read 14,463,105 times
If it was mobbed up it would leak out. When the mob controlled everything (construction, unions, garment trucking, garbage, etc.), everyone knew, because legit businesses had to deal with them. This does not seem to be case anymore.

Another hint is how weak the unions have become. They just put up a condo tower next to my building. All non-union labor. The unions were the lever that give the mob control over construction. In the old days a high profile project like this would never be allowed to be done non-union.

They're still around, they have their much more covert scams. But they don't have the broad level of power into the legitimate world they used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
yes but how mobbed up is the construction business in NY in 2021 and since that time?

Last edited by BBMW; 09-24-2021 at 01:36 PM..

Old 09-24-2021, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
If it was mobbed up it would leak out. When the mob controlled everything (construction, unions, garment trucking, garbage, etc.), everyone knew, because legit businesses had to deal with them. This does not seem to be case anymore.

They're still around, they have their much more covert scams. But they don't have the broad level of power into the legitimate world they used to.
After Koch there was Dinkens
and then Giuliani

Before becoming mayor Giuliani made his name as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York in the 1980s with the federal prosecution of NYC mafia bosses

So what was the extent of the mafia being involved in the these trades during Giuliani's later mayoral administrations?

Last edited by jonbenson; 09-24-2021 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-24-2021, 01:55 PM

2,077 posts, read 1,122,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
I love the tracksuit.
How come you beat me to it? Lol

It looks like a costume designer for the Sopranos got around to him. Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City