Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 02:46 PM

16,035 posts, read 6,840,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
After Ida? Yeah right.
Some prefer living at sea level I prefer living above sea level......... to each his own....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 03:10 PM

37,131 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Which industries are you thinking of?

Multiple tech industry jobs especially in product, design, and engineering, but other parts of it, too. For the majors, you're talking about starting salaries that are into the six figures right out of college and total compensation packages that can reasonably amount to mid six figures a year within less than a decade. The salaries are generally pretty good, but a big part of compensation packages are the shares you get which can sometimes be the vast majority of your compensation even with a fairly nice salary. There have been several acquisitions and IPOs that I know of where suddenly dozens to thousands of people found themselves with a massive nugget for down payment and renovation of anything from a nice condo to a few brownstones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Or a city job. Pretty easy for a couple who both work for the city to pull in around $100K each after ~10 years with almost bulletproof job stability.

Around $100K each after ~10 years without family help isn't easy in this market and hasn't for a while unless you were talking about people who were at $100K each already several years ago.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-26-2021 at 04:22 PM..

Old 09-26-2021, 03:23 PM

31,904 posts, read 26,961,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I saw a CBS report on this recently. Apparently, they moved to Kingsbridge. Since it is right next to Riverdale, it benefits from being fairly safe and quiet. The further west you go from Broadway the better, as the blocks west of Corlear Av on tend to be either houses with a mix of condos or co-ops, but generally more low density, and thus quieter. Kingsbridge historically has always had a sizable Irish/Irish-American population, so this shouldn't be much of a surprise.

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...n-to-the-bronx
Thank you!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:39 PM

2,315 posts, read 1,151,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Developers are destroying Rosebank and Shore Acres... Nice older single family homes are being torn down every week, and either GD townhouses or two family homes taking their place.

Corner of Bay near New Lane is one spot, then you've got that new apartment complex going up by the water by Maryland Avenue.

Apartment building construction is rare for S.I., only permitted in a few areas. What kind of building? Condos, co-ops, rentals?

Old 09-26-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Apartment building construction is rare for S.I., only permitted in a few areas. What kind of building? Condos, co-ops, rentals?
80 Scarboro Avenue is the project, down in Rosebank by the water.

https://newyorkyimby.com/2017/02/per...en-island.html

https://therealdeal.com/new-research...boro-avenue-2/

https://inewhomes.com/80-scarboro-avenue-complex

This would be on other side of Alice Austen House/park on Maryland Avenue.

There are some great old homes between Hylan and water in Rosebank and Shore Acres.

New homes on St. John's Avenue off Bay Street.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/5+...!4d-81.6907661

Prices:

https://www.nystatemls.com/property/...0305/10391642/

1288 Bay Street now:

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Staten-Isl...home/143660703

And before tear down:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...31716847_zpid/

Old 09-26-2021, 04:09 PM

One saving grace down there is Savo Bros. got their horns broken with Mount Manresa.

Instead of nearly 200 homes things are down to about 20 last time one checked. Haven't driven that way lately to see if they've started construction.

GD effing shame, another pristine part of SI with trees that were there before Europeans first sailed past SI on way into NY harbor hundreds of years ago chopped down.

https://www.silive.com/news/2020/12/...downsized.html

Old 09-26-2021, 04:37 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post

Around $100K each after ~10 years without family help isn't easy in this market and hasn't for a while unless you were talking about people who were at $100K each already several years ago.
Getting a city job making $100K each after 10 years without family help? Not sure I follow.

In 2020 there were ~150k people making between $100 -$300K working for the state of NY.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Getting a city job making $100K each after 10 years without family help? Not sure I follow.

In 2020 there were ~150k people making between $100 -$300K working for the state of NY.

The chain of responses started with Mr. Retired post (then I replied, then yodel to me, then you to yodel) about who can afford a home now and one of the main avenues was getting family help. I'm saying city jobs at $100K each after 10 years is going to be difficult for getting a place in NYC without family help if they aren't already well into that 10 years towards $100K already as getting that downpayment is hard.

The state of New York is separate from the city of New York and significant numbers of those jobs for NYS are done by people living outside of NYC. How many of those are done by people living or working in the city? How many of those for actually city jobs as in city of New York are there? I'm sure more of those are on the lower side of the spectrum towards the 100K mark, but some of them are probably higher. Note that in terms of affording a home here without family support, being 10 years away from $100K salary is very different from a few years into a $100K salary already which is also very different from a few years into a $150K salary and so on and so forth. I'd be surprised if there are more people right now in NYC getting paid over $100K per year in the public sector by the city, than in the tech industry inclusive of overlap.

Old 09-26-2021, 04:57 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The chain of responses started with Mr. Retired post (then I replied, then yodel to me, then you to yodel) about who can afford a home now and one of the main avenues was getting family help. I'm saying city jobs at $100K each after 10 years is going to be difficult for getting a place in NYC without family help if they aren't already well into that 10 years towards $100K already as getting that downpayment is hard.

The state of New York is separate from the city of New York and significant numbers of those jobs for NYS are done by people living outside of NYC. How many of those are done by people living or working in the city? How many of those for actually city jobs as in city of New York are there? I'm sure more of those are on the lower side of the spectrum towards the 100K mark, but some of them are probably higher. Note that in terms of affording a home here without family support, being 10 years away from $100K salary is very different from a few years into a $100K salary already which is also very different from a few years into a $150K salary and so on and so forth. I'd be surprised if there are more people right now in NYC getting paid over $100K in total compensation per year in the public sector, municipal or state, than in the tech industry inclusive of overlap.
The private sector employs 10x more people than the public sector so that's a moot point. No one is arguing that there aren't more $100K+ private sector jobs than public sector.

A couple pulling in at least $200K can safely buy something around $1MM. Of course many like to buy "less house" in order to have more disposable income but a couple both working city jobs has pretty bullet proof employment so there's less angst about spending a higher percentage of after tax income on housing. Also, city jobs still have pensions and excellent health benefits so less income has to be spent on retirement/health as opposed to private sector employees.

For $1MM, one can get some pretty decent apartments/houses almost anywhere in NYC.

According to a WSJ article in 2020, there were an estimated 161K tech jobs (across all industries it just what we think of as "tech") in NYC in 2018.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
The private sector employs 10x more people than the public sector so that's a moot point. No one is arguing that there aren't more $100K+ private sector jobs than public sector.

A couple pulling in at least $200K can safely buy something around $1MM. Of course many like to buy "less house" in order to have more disposable income but a couple both working city jobs has pretty bullet proof employment so there's less angst about spending a higher percentage of after tax income on housing. Also, city jobs still have pensions and excellent health benefits so less income has to be spent on retirement/health as opposed to private sector employees.

For $1MM, one can get some pretty decent apartments/houses almost anywhere in NYC.

According to a WSJ article in 2020, there were an estimated 161K tech jobs (across all industries it just what we think of as "tech") in NYC in 2018.

Right, so what proportion of public sector workers do you think are actually making $100K and above right now in NYC? There are probably some figures out there, but does it really make sense to chime in and say it's pretty easy for city workers specifically given the other much more lucrative sectors out there? I mean, you can certainly be pulling in $100K figures in media or in entertainment or a host of other things but those wouldn't be most people in those fields. To me it seems like there are a lot of city workers who get paid a lot less than that and it certainly wouldn't be my go-to for when talking about high paying fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: