Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 05:10 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,258,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Right, so what proportion of public sector workers do you think are actually making $100K and above right now in NYC? There are probably some figures out there.
Not sure but it's higher than many believe. Their official salary might not be "$100K" but at the end of the year, they're making $100K+.

NYC has about 330K city workers. I'd guess At least ~1/4 are making ~$100K+. Maybe even 1/3.

NYS employs about 130K people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 05:15 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,371,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not sure but it's higher than many believe. Their official salary might not be "$100K" but at the end of the year, they're making $100K+.

NYC has about 330K city workers. I'd guess At least ~1/4 are making ~$100K+. Maybe even 1/3.

NYS employs about 130K people.
I don't know what your reference to many believe is since there are certainly people on this board and elsewhere who believe municipal workers are pigging out at the trough and get paid a lot while on the flipside there are people who will talk about how badly paid the public sector is.

I'd guess that there's probably an actual way to find the stats out there, but in a conversation about lucrative sectors to be in, I would certainly not put, for NYC, working for the city as a particularly prime opportunity.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Right, so what proportion of public sector workers do you think are actually making $100K and above right now in NYC? There are probably some figures out there, but does it really make sense to chime in and say it's pretty easy for city workers specifically given the other much more lucrative sectors out there? I mean, you can certainly be pulling in $100K figures in media or in entertainment or a host of other things but those wouldn't be most people in those fields. To me it seems like there are a lot of city workers who get paid a lot less than that and it certainly wouldn't be my go-to for when talking about high paying fields.
Of course there are more lucrative sectors but city jobs are also part of the equation and the ones most readily accessible to those without higher education.

How many people in the private sector without a college degree are making $100K+?

Here are NYCs income quintiles. A bit older data but I'd think the numbers generally are similar now: https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...me-numbers.htm

About 10% of NYC households make $200K+.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Of course there are more lucrative sectors but city jobs are also part of the equation and the ones most readily accessible to those without higher education.

How many people in the private sector without a college degree are making $100K+?

Here are NYCs income quintiles: https://www.baruch.cuny.edu/nycdata/...me-numbers.htm

About 10% of NYC households make $200K+.

I didn't say anything about without higher education--why would that matter in terms of what I'm saying? No one is saying city jobs aren't "part of the equation", but I think citing city jobs as worth particular mention when talking about lucrative industries to be pretty odd.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know what your reference to many believe is since there are certainly people on this board and elsewhere who believe municipal workers are pigging out at the trough and get paid a lot while on the flipside there are people who will talk about how badly paid the public sector is.

I'd guess that there's probably an actual way to find the stats out there, but in a conversation about lucrative sectors to be in, I would certainly not put, for NYC, working for the city as a particularly prime opportunity.
Many municipal workers are definitely pigging out but it is what it is. NYC is a welfare and do nothing job state.

Of course there's an actual way to find the stats but I'm not up to it.

Working for the city is a prime opportunity for many NYCers. I also think you're far overestimating the number or ultra lucrative private sector jobs. That sector tends to employ far less people per revenue $ than other industries.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I didn't say anything about without higher education--why would that matter in terms of what I'm saying? No one is saying city jobs aren't "part of the equation", but I think citing city jobs as worth particular mention when talking about lucrative industries to be pretty odd.
The city employs 330K people with a $20bn+ payroll? How many employers in NYC have a larger payroll?

Just did a quick search: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...6-billion/amp/

Old 09-26-2021, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Many municipal workers are definitely pigging out but it is what it is. NYC is a welfare and do nothing job state.

Of course there's an actual way to find the stats but I'm not up to it.

Working for the city is a prime opportunity for many NYCers. I also think you're far overestimating the number or ultra lucrative private sector jobs. That sector tends to employ far less people per revenue $ than other industries.
Quote:
The city employs 330K people with a $20bn+ payroll? How many employers in NYC have a larger payroll?

Just did a quick search: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.for...6-billion/amp/

I said specific sectors--I am not overstating that the tech sector gets paid well and you are likely way overstating what city workers on average make. There are certainly people who get paid very well by the city and there are some get paid inappropriately well by the city, but the idea that being a city worker is the first thing that comes to mind as a lucrative sector sounds just plain silly. I understand the frustration, but to be fair, I've encountered more than a few private sector people getting paid pretty well or at least with fairly high positions that to me seem pretty incompetent except for trying to secure their jobs. It's always interesting to find people who talk about things when they clearly have little clue about what they're saying who have managed to fail upwards just far enough to be pretty smug about their mediocrity.

Old 09-26-2021, 05:56 PM

Quote:
I said specific sectors--I am not overstating that the tech sector gets paid well and you are likely way overstating what city workers on average make. There are certainly people who get paid very well by the city and there are some get paid inappropriately well by the city, but the idea that being a city worker is the first thing that comes to mind as a lucrative sector sounds just plain silly. I understand the frustration, but to be fair, I've encountered more than a few private sector people getting paid pretty well or at least with fairly high positions that to me seem pretty incompetent except for trying to secure their jobs. It's always interesting to find people who talk about things when they clearly have little clue about what they're saying who have managed to fail upwards just far enough to be pretty smug about their mediocrity.
You asked why I mentioned the city and I provided you proof. Over 110K city workers made over $100K in 2020. If someone is looking to get paid well, working for the city is an option since the city is the largest employer in NYC and one of the largest payrolls for $100K+ employees..

I know plenty of people in the private sector who get paid well but are total clowns. What's your point?

Old 09-26-2021, 06:01 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
Right, so what proportion of public sector workers do you think are actually making $100K and above right now in NYC? There are probably some figures out there, but does it really make sense to chime in and say it's pretty easy for city workers specifically given the other much more lucrative sectors out there? I mean, you can certainly be pulling in $100K figures in media or in entertainment or a host of other things but those wouldn't be most people in those fields. To me it seems like there are a lot of city workers who get paid a lot less than that and it certainly wouldn't be my go-to for when talking about high paying fields.
Every cop over 5 years easily breaks 100. FD they're breaking 100 before 5 years. Sanitation does better than both of those. Just those 3 departments add up to about 60,000 uniform members. The PD has close to 1000 civilians making over 100 by my estimations.

As you said, numbers are out there (all city employees' salaries are public info), those numbers are just spitballing.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-26-2021, 06:04 PM

19,037 posts, read 13,951,921 times
Quote:
I would certainly not put, for NYC, working for the city as a particularly prime opportunity.
I'm about to turn 43 with a very, very close to six-figures pension that I've been collecting for a year now. I worked 18 years to get it.

You sure about that?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: