Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 03:47 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,427,042 times

Advertisements

Some of you know I left NYC in 2015 for San Diego as a NYC Native. The grass was definitely greener in SD and the quality of life is miles better than what I had in NYC. I currently live in a $2900 a month single family home in coastal North County and my utility bills are under $300 a month even in the summer and winter months.

I came out here for access to Mexico and legal weed. Covid has killed the Mexico aspect for the most part and NYC legalized recreational weed. * 1 bedroom apartments are going here for $2,400. Same as what I see on Zillow for NYC in the East 96th St. area where I am eyeing.

Why pay NYC prices in San Diego ? I didn't come out here for that. I came out here for financial relief actually and I've done pretty well in that sense but currently there is a shift. Prices are very close to mimicking NYC prices for everything and its crowded. Public transportation , traffic, and parking are major issues here.

I used to be an International Traveler for entertainment purposes but who knows what is to become of that life now.

Also SD in very split politically. I have dealt with a nightmare of sickos and the off kilt political climate here during Covid has been more than ugly.

I have lived all over the city growing up but never in the high 90's. With things getting loose again I wouldn''t mind having access to Spanish Harlem for food and even the Bronx or 125th close by. I think it would be pretty cool. I use to live on the Upper East Side low 70's as a kid and would bike up to El Barrio...fun times.

Anyways if anyone is contemplating a move out West and needs advice post here. I will answer questions.

I must also say it really is nice out here. There is a lot of good but Covid really changes things and you won't get a price relief here for many things besides maybe utilities (maybe) and fresh produce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 05:01 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
To me the big advantage of San Diego is the stable weather which I would prefer over NYC weather any time.

Old 09-10-2021, 06:57 AM

5,299 posts, read 6,177,484 times
I would leave before serious water rationing is imposed on the people. It will be ugly. I lived in SD in the 80s in the Mission Hills area. Just about everything about the area was beautiful. But it was changing and real estate speculation had driven housing prices way up. Today, speculation has gone off the rails making housing unaffordable to most San Diegans. Moving back to NYC, you may be jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.

Old 09-10-2021, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
I would leave before serious water rationing is imposed on the people. It will be ugly. I lived in SD in the 80s in the Mission Hills area. Just about everything about the area was beautiful. But it was changing and real estate speculation had driven housing prices way up. Today, speculation has gone off the rails making housing unaffordable to most San Diegans. Moving back to NYC, you may be jumping from the proverbial frying pan into the fire.
True but I have roots in NYC and a family member in Real Estate. I will find something.
My 2900 house in SD per month is actually valued much higher but the house is old and needs repairs. She hasn't raised my rent in 6 years. Bless Her.
I started coming down here in 2001. SD was undervalued for years. Especially near the border. Now suddenly it's the place to be. With Covid though you better have a family lifestyle to really enjoy it. It's been really hard for a single guy like me. Everyone I socialize with is living in Tijuana..

Old 09-10-2021, 08:31 AM

8,689 posts, read 11,076,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
To me the big advantage of San Diego is the stable weather which I would prefer over NYC weather any time.
some may say stable, others boring. some may say nyc have variety. all perspective.

i actually like SD, far better than LA. Not surprised the OP would considering giving up SD for NYC again.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:38 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
This.

OP are you willing to put up with 90 degree summers with 75% humidity ? It's a lot worse than it was back in the day.

That being said, I don't know how much SD is impacted by the fires. I hear air quality in CA can be bad lately.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:24 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,545,186 times
I lived in CA for way too long. Hated almost every minute of it and came home as soon as I could.

There are (or should be) a lot more reasons to stay or leave a place other than the weather .

Old 09-10-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
This.

OP are you willing to put up with 90 degree summers with 75% humidity ? It's a lot worse than it was back in the day.
Believe me I know the misery that is NYC in all its'forms. NO I wouldn't be "willing " to put up with it. It just happens and you sssssuffer. I know this.

The hardest thing to give up is not the weather though. It's the lifestyle. You actually get REM sleep here which makes a huge difference with my energy levels and I get to work out outdoors everyday. I LOVE this aspect of CA. Nothing is more depressing than an all week rain storm or snow that makes it unbearable to even walk.

NYC sucks these days. I get it but I am pretty convinced ANYWHERE you want to be in America sucks because it always comes down to COL. I jumped on SD in 2001 one when I first went down. it was TOTALLY undervalued . There were apartments going fo $1500 overlooking the bay in Chula Vista down by the border . In those days going back and forth to Tijuana could be done twice a day....ZERO LINES. You could easily go eat dinner in Mexico and be back for the 11pm news at home.

It was a great idea and I loved EVERY minute of it but MASTER Covid is messing it up and then of course when the mainstream latches onto something it gets ruined.....just look at NYC.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:04 PM

11,344 posts, read 16,699,701 times
This is not the same NYC you remember.

Better off staying in San Diego.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
This is not the same NYC you remember.

Better off staying in San Diego.
Can you elaborate please ? Different than even 2015 ? It was pretty awful then too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City