Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2021, 06:02 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,260,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbenson View Post
Esacni, New York City is 24.3% black

Think, many kids in New York schools K-12 were taught only about black people starting out as slaves in America.
Wouldn't it be better to teach a little more of their history prior to America rather than start with only their victimization during the slave trade?
That's a parental and community obligation. Nobody taught me Jewish history in school yet I know my history.

Also, how much of this 24.3% are first/second generation immigrants? Don't they have a different history?

Old 10-02-2021, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Once slavery was no longer an option, the USA never found a way to replace the free labor
The South didn't find a way. That's why the South, to this day, is behind the North in virtually every economic metric. The South depended too much on slave labor and antiquated industries and they're paying for that to this day (as a region, of course there are families that are still very wealthy due to slavery).

Ever heard of the "resource curse" or the paradox of plenty? The South had a "slavery curse" and is paying for it to this day.

Slavery was only a boon to a very select group of Southern elites.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:12 PM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
And what about the Asians? Changing their names won't change their appearance, and yet they succeed despite "systemic racism". Why is that?
I don’t know if anyone has responded on this yet, but SE Asians have poverty rates nationally that rival the black rate(if not higher) and in some cities, are in gangs.

Also, I believe the black poverty rate in NYC not that long ago was lower than the Asian rate.

So, we have to be careful with this Asian, model minority narrative, as it may overlook the needs of Asians that are struggling.

Oops, didn’t look at the next post and the one by Oy Crumbler, but it validated why I say to be careful about the Asian model minority tag.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:28 PM

5,450 posts, read 2,717,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
That's a parental and community obligation. Nobody taught me Jewish history in school yet I know my history.

Also, how much of this 24.3% are first/second generation immigrants? Don't they have a different history?
I think it may be has high as a third but I'm not sure.
Mainly Caribbeans with slave ancestry and a much smaller number of Africans who immigrated directly from Africa who may or may not have slave ancestors.
They are all mainly West Africans but some from other parts of Africa

Regardless, they all have a common ancestry New York City being 24.3% people of African ancestry.

It would be a crime if all New York student were not taught about Jews killed in the Holocaust or African slaves brought to the Americas
but I also think it would be a good thing to teach a little bit of their history in Africa before slavery

Old 10-02-2021, 06:40 PM

93,316 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Sure just as long as this gets taught too.
Since this was brought up, here is some interesting information: https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-slavery-1860/

So, this puts that into perspective.

Ironically, the 2 states my parents come from(Mississippi and South Carolina) were the highest holding states and NY had the practice until 1827.

Some things that may have to be considered is that NYC far and away has more black residents than any other city in the US with just under 2 million alone and I believe up to 2.2 million when including those that are black and in combination.

Also, black people or those of black African descent have been in what is now NYC since 1613: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_(Jan)_Rodriguez

That predates the usually narrative of slaves arriving at Jamestown in 1619(On a side note, the area of SC not to far from where my mom is from in the Pee Dee region of the state had a settlement going back to 1526 in Winyah Bay where the Spanish brought Africans: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winyah_Bay#History (check the sources used as well)). Which means that our schools haven’t told the complete story of African arrival and it is likely an ongoing process of unlearning and introducing more complete information.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don’t know if anyone has responded on this yet, but SE Asians have poverty rates nationally that rival the black rate(if not higher) and in some cities, are in gangs.

Also, I believe the black poverty rate in NYC not that long ago was lower than the Asian rate.

So, we have to be careful with this Asian, model minority narrative, as it may overlook the needs of Asians that are struggling.

Oops, didn’t look at the next post and the one by Oy Crumbler, but it validated why I say to be careful about the Asian model minority tag.
Nothing to be careful about. First and sometimes second generation immigrants almost always have a hard time. Especially if they come from poverty in their native country.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,317 times
Quote:
Told you already. You even posted a few topics yourself.

When a kid is being told how black Wall Street was destroyed by white rioters, who if not white people, do you think is being villianized?
Is it not the truth that black Wall Street was destroyed by white rioters? Yes or no?

Seems to me they made themselves the villains all on their own.

Is it not true that we stole this land from Native Americans?

Seems to me they made themselves the villains all on their own.

You don't want the truth to be taught because the truth is ugly and unflattering towards white folks. They weren't made the villains, they WERE the villains in these stories.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:
My concern is that this type of racial propaganda will only make race relations in this country worse. It isn’t really just about black history. It is about riling up resentment among the races under the cover of studying black history.
So your solution is we should only study white history to keep everyone calm and not stir the pot?

Old 10-02-2021, 06:52 PM

788 posts, read 486,207 times
Quote:
What's so wrong with teaching Black American history in public schools?
There's no such thing. History is history. Now, if you want to teach history from the African American perspective, that's cool...but it shouldn't be obligated but moreso as a college elective. Why not an special history for the Irish or Italians while we're at it? The Irish have a connection to this country just as long if not longer than Africans.

Old 10-02-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Once slavery was no longer an option, the USA never found a way to replace the free labor
Sure they did, it's called the prison system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City