Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 07:47 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times

Advertisements

Astoria is very diverse as well. It's just that Jackson Heights is extremely diverse, meaning you will see people from many different countries on the street and hear several different languages spoken every time you go out.

Astoria has plenty of quiet areas too. It might be easier to find a rental in Astoria than in Jackson Heights, but you could look in both. I think either neighborhood would be fine for you. I am not recommending Elmhurst or Woodside as highly as I feel they are not as nice.

Check the neighborhood forums for info on pilates and yoga. There are a few classes in JH and probably more in Astoria.
Jackson Heights Life - Jackson Heights NY - Queens (you can do a search for pilates or yoga without registering)
Astorians | Your free community for Astoria NY, Long Island City, and Queens West. (you will have to register to do a search though you might find something just by browsing thru recent posts.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 08:01 PM

41 posts, read 254,511 times
Henna,

Thanks for all your advice today. I have a MUCH better idea now. Great links too!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:29 AM

757 posts, read 3,363,354 times
Every year, rent stabilized tenants get forms from DHCR (Dept. of Housing & Community Renewal) verifying the legal rent of their apartment and whether heat, gas and electricity are included. So, there are apartments in NYC where the occupant is responsible for their own heat.

Also, in Lincoln Towers, which is all co-op, the older buildings have central heating and the newer ones have thermostats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you see a train of crowded cars and the car that's about to stop in front of you is not crowded, think fast and hurry over to one of the crowded ones. Sorry, but that's the way it goes.
Sometimes in the summer, it just means the a/c is out in that car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graveldriveway View Post
Some real advice: don't take an apartment lower than the 5th floor on a corner building no matter where it is, unless you are hard of hearing. It's noisey and maybe dangerous if there's bullets flying around.
For 32 years, I've lived one story above a busy avenue, on the corner. A block down is a three-way intersection a block down, which sometimes creates back-ups and honking. It can get noisy (no "e"), but if I keep the radio, tv or music on at all times (and I do) it's not so bad. Probably not the best way to live, but my location is hard to beat for convenience to shopping, entertainment, parks and transportation. My mom lived on the 16th floor a block away from a fire house for two years, and it was much, much worse.

Last edited by Carbro; 05-19-2008 at 02:44 AM..

Old 05-19-2008, 04:19 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Close to ten years ago I was looking for places in brooklyn and queens. I found two renovated basements in bensonhurst brooklyn going for around $400-$420 a month including gas and electric. No furniture though. Queens was more expensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:17 AM

41 posts, read 254,511 times
Everyone,

Thanks so much for so much helpful advice in a day! (The Internet is great; how did we do it before?)

Anyway, does anyone have any additional facts/pointers I should take into consideration re: renting, living in NY, working in the city. Whatever you have learned over your years in NY that could be very useful to know and that you wish someone had told you before learning the hard way?

Also, is it true that Astoria seems to have a rodent/bug problem in many apartments despite the fact that they are new?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City