Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 AM

1,278 posts, read 4,098,620 times

Advertisements

Okay so I can understand why a hipster person would irritate someone. From the descriptions they sound lazy.

But I still don't get why people hate yuppies. Most are just wealthier hard working people. Is it the "wealthier" part that people hate? Yes they may seem arrogant at times, but SO DO NATIVE NEW YORKERS It just seems so hypocritical to me to hate yuppies b/c they are exclusive and have there own style and way of life, when there are so many groups in NYC who do the same thing.

People bring up the fact that yuppies "look down on people" But they are "looked down upon" by the rest of the city so what is the difference? Why do we
look down on yuppies and expect them to not do the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:00 AM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,722 times
No worries...it is human nature to always hate or look down on someone or some group...as it makes them feel better..who wants to be the one on the bottom anyway? So today it is the yuppies and hipsters...and who knows..in 5 years it will be the flood of Myanmar refugees who are supposedly "ruining neighborhoods" and "ruining the city" and who think they are better than us...and 5 years after that it will be another group...that's just how people are.

Easy to blame others for your own problems, shortcomings, and direct anger towards them than towards yourself...that seems to be a consistent theme in life..not just these boards or in NYC.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM

640 posts, read 2,011,961 times
Yuppies tend to have the thirst for materialism without the cultural sophistication. That is where the break is. Many of them wouldnt know who Arthur Miller or Kafka if it smacked them in the mouth. Kenny G used to be popular amongst many yuppie housewives.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 AM

44 posts, read 137,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
the star in the movie "American Psycho" is a yuppie.
hipster's like a broke pete wentz, the lead singer of fall out boy.
Could you work to provide a less flattering example? lol

Personally, I think you guys try too hard to define and confine both these groups.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:45 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
You are a yuppie if you are Young (under 40), live an Urban lifestyle, and have a Professional gig (white collar).

Being a yuppie has nothing to do with race. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-04-2010 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:26 AM

2,115 posts, read 5,416,788 times
Surely some of these kids are lifelong NY'ers. For example, maybe their parents hailed from the Upper East Side. I could easily see some of their kids ending up as yuppies or hipsters. Not every trustafarian has parents that hail from the Midwest, California, or suburban NY/NJ/CT. But of course I highly doubt their parents were middle-class folk from Queens or old-school Brooklyn either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Hipsters are usually trustafarians who do not really have the jobs to support their lifestyle, and they do not care, they will just live off their trusts. They sometimes pose as writers, actors. They also try to act poor

Yuppies usuallly have higher paying jobs, plus most are also trustafarians as well. Lots of them also do not have high paying jobs, but they try at least. They do not try to act poor.

They also dress different

Hipsters try to dress poor, but in reality their clothes are expensive, but they mimic the poor style

Yuppies like to dress monied, and do not try to hide it whether they can afford it or not.

None of them are real NYers, and never will be according to the real NYers

Sexual orientation among them can range the entire spectrum.

They do like to congregate together because they compliment each other, and make each other feel diverse. They are like the ying and the yang.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:35 AM

2,718 posts, read 5,357,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminCT View Post
Yuppies tend to have the thirst for materialism without the cultural sophistication. That is where the break is. Many of them wouldnt know who Arthur Miller or Kafka if it smacked them in the mouth. Kenny G used to be popular amongst many yuppie housewives.
And Harry Connick, Jr.

To me, a teacher is not a Yuppie. What comes to mind to me when I hear the word Yuppie are corporate-type, cookie-cutter looking people in suits and power ties who sit on the subway with a snooty look on their face reading the New York Times.

When they have a kid they deck the kid out in very expensive and conspicuously labeled clothing and push the kid around in a $600. stroller. They put the kid in a French immersion program when they're three in addition to violin and piano lessons. They only have playdates with other people like them. God forbid their kid interact with elements outside of their sphere.

I can't say I know much about hipsters. Any pictures I've seen of them just make me laugh and think "Oh give me a break."

Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,971 times
Yuppies bathe daily. Hipsters? Only monthly and only if they need to. (LOL)

Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Yuppies bathe daily. Hipsters? Only monthly and only if they need to. (LOL)

HIpsters are emo kids with less eye liner and thick rimmed glasses

Old 01-05-2010, 01:52 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,390,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
HIpsters are emo kids with less eye liner and thick rimmed glasses
Well, they had to do something different since the emo movement is a DC creation, not one that emerged from the LES as the hipster movement to which there is a cultural claim.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City