Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM
 
461 posts, read 2,000,313 times
Reputation: 371

Advertisements

Honestly, I never understood why so many people on this board were hating on Yuppies in the first place. "Oh NYC is filled with Yuppies, they took over! I don't want the Bronx to turn into Yuppiville. Keep the "hood" the way it is. I don't mind hearing gun shots every 5 hours as long as Yuppies don't invade my "hood" and price us out...blah blah blah".

I personally see absolutely NOTHING wrong with Yuppies. If anything, I give them props for being successful and having money and being go-getters. Shouldn't we all? Whats wrong with that? Don't we all want money? In addition, I welcome Yuppies to migrate to the Bronx (the poorest borough) with open arms so we can finally diversify the demographic of the borough and change the stigma of the Bronx being a dumping ground for poor, uneducated ghetto people from the streets. It's way over due...somethings gotta give.

Last edited by Viralmd; 01-05-2010 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Please try to restrain your more inflammatory comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2010, 02:14 PM
 
551 posts, read 1,575,840 times
Reputation: 423
It is very simple. A hipster is the child of two yuppies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 06:33 PM
 
Location: Orlando
257 posts, read 824,234 times
Reputation: 79
Pete Wentz is not a hipster. The people in Wes Anderson movies are hipsters. Pete Wentz is a teen punk pop star. Not hipster at all. I mean I guess he is "edgey" and into music, but still he is not a hipster. I'm not sure what they are listening to now but they were into the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Postal Service, Modest Mouse... etc. I'm sure that falls into the "bands I used to like" category now.

A yuppie is more likely to be wearing a polo shirt and pushing a double stroller w/ a five year old in it and drinking a Starbucks coffee. And they like very boring brands are cool, like Lacoste.

Here is a joke. How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? It doesn't matter because the old lightbulb was better anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Queens and New Haven,CT
16 posts, read 127,458 times
Reputation: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
It is very simple. A hipster is the child of two yuppies.
Basically.....That's what I always thought lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2010, 10:09 PM
 
Location: New York
1,999 posts, read 4,995,647 times
Reputation: 2035
Default larval cycle

Hipsters are the larval form of yuppies. In this adolescent form they are yuppie ground troops that bum-rush a neighborhood and prepare it for gentrification. The Hipster's primary purpose is to raise rents, encourage native populations to emigrate and prep neighborhoods to be fully yuppified. The local HQ is Williamsburg Brooklyn and all operations are coordinated from there.

At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from Hipster to full fledged yuppie. Sort of like a caterpillar morphing into a butterfly. They lose the tight jeans, ironic T-Shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for Barneys New York corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into an entirely corporate persona complete with an investment portfolio and large foreign made SUV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 01:25 PM
 
44 posts, read 137,533 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Hipsters are the larval form of yuppies. In this adolescent form they are yuppie ground troops that bum-rush a neighborhood and prepare it for gentrification. The Hipster's primary purpose is to raise rents, encourage native populations to emigrate and prep neighborhoods to be fully yuppified. The local HQ is Williamsburg Brooklyn and all operations are coordinated from there.

At thirty to thirty five hipsters do a complete transformation from Hipster to full fledged yuppie. Sort of like a caterpillar morphing into a butterfly. They lose the tight jeans, ironic T-Shirts and asymmetrical haircuts and trade them in for Barneys New York corporate outfits. The anti-establishment hipster ethos does a complete transformation into an entirely corporate persona complete with an investment portfolio and large foreign made SUV.
If I were in either group and read any of this crap, I would have so much disdain built up for city residents who viewed me this way. I don't understand why either of these groups bothers some people so strongly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2010, 01:46 PM
 
12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Reputation: 8773
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I think it's lame too. I think it's pretty damn insulting to people who actually are poor. Also, at $55,000 you are making a great salary for our age, but I'm not sure you would be a yuppie because of it. I guess if you like trendy sushi joints, Coach bags, and are into Sex in the City you could be considered a yuppie; however, there really aren't many yuppies in your profession.
lol, i'm def. a yuppie if these are the criteria
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2010, 11:18 PM
 
5 posts, read 23,693 times
Reputation: 13
It baffles me why people would want to dress as if they were poor when thier not.How about the people that are actually poor?I find it slightly disrespectful!!!Your making $60,000 & you want to act as if you haven't got a cent to your name....get a life!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 PM
 
82 posts, read 305,567 times
Reputation: 92
Interesting to see those who believe "yuppies" are not "real" NYers when in fact they have existed in this town since the industrial revolution.

One myth i see tossed around quite a bit is the notion that they are predominantly non-natives. I'm sure a significant portion of them hail from middle-upper class parents in Manhattan and Queens.

They are every bit as real and as intregal a part of the workings of this town as any group.


Hipsters on the other hand could all disapear and the City not skip a beat. They really contribute nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2010, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Crown Heights
961 posts, read 2,464,282 times
Reputation: 524
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinewebsearcher View Post
Interesting to see those who believe "yuppies" are not "real" NYers when in fact they have existed in this town since the industrial revolution.

One myth i see tossed around quite a bit is the notion that they are predominantly non-natives. I'm sure a significant portion of them hail from middle-upper class parents in Manhattan and Queens.

They are every bit as real and as intregal a part of the workings of this town as any group.


Hipsters on the other hand could all disapear and the City not skip a beat. They really contribute nothing.
I wouldn't necessarily say that hipsters don't contribute anything. I mean as much as I dislike their strange ways and over the top eccentricity, they play a key role in the art scene, which is an essential part to NY's image. Weird people always play a role, however this doesn't let them off the hook with me. They will continue to be a target of verbal abuse from me....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top