Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 10:28 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,325,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
It's really not an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Imagine working from home in that, how would that be like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
A little tight but doable. Take that loveseat out of the bedroom and make that area your workspace.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
People, I want ya'll to dwell on this for a moment: 400 sq. feet is the equivalent of a 2-car garage. No working human being should pay to live in a space that small. Isn't the average size of a college dorm room about 250 sq. feet? I can't imagine paying 10s of thousands for a college degree only to be able to afford a space that is 150 sq ft larger than what I lived in when I was an unemployed college student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
While I agree with you regarding space, it isn't that much about the space here of this apartment, it is the price of it that throws everyone off balance.

Sure it is small, and yes, a single can live a happy and fulfilling life there, but if it was 500 dollars, then that would be the sacrifice one could make, but to pay, or want to pay, 3K for this, leaves me completely bewildered.

It isn't a terrible apartment, it is actually very nice and it can and I'm sure does fit the needs of some people, it is just that 3K, is insane, and I don't care what the neighborhood is.

Also, this isn't a "micro", it is just a regular small apartment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
I know a lot of people who live in highrises and pay rents around this range so for me it's not that big of deal. They want the amenities and the location. They aren't paying for just the space they live in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
I have 3 bedrooms and I still have my desk in my bedroom. I rarely even open the doors to the other two bedrooms. Just unnecessary space.
I grew up living in a house. When I moved out and lived on my own, my first apartment was in Europe during part of my college years and it was a sizable one bedroom, which at that time was about $2,000 a month (adding the cost for water, gas and electricity, which you pay for in Europe in addition to rent) (fluctuated depending on the Euro and the US Dollar). When I moved back to NYC and was on my own again, I opted for a studio because it was a bit cheaper than a one bedroom and allowed me to splurge on other things. I had a balcony, so I never felt boxed in and while I don't know the exact size of my studio, it was bigger than this place, and at the time about $1,600 a month (this was about three years ago - now my place probably goes for almost $2,000 a month). I now live in a two bedroom and find myself spending most of my time in only one of the rooms just out of habit and there is no balcony, so looking back on it, I actually wouldn't mind a studio again. It's totally fine for one person.

My ex-girlfriend lives in a large studio in Manhattan and pays north of $2,100 a month and when I stayed over, it never felt small. It technically is big enough to be a one bedroom, with a eat-in kitchen, two walk-in closets, a sizable balcony, and room to separate the living room and sleeping area, so this idea that it doesn't work is nonsense. She also has a space to work when working from home. If you know how to organize the space, it's almost like living in a one bedroom, and how much crap does one person need?

When I worked from home in my old apartment, I set up on my large island in the kitchen and worked there. This particular studio in question, you can buy a Murphy bed that can be stored into a closet-like set up, which gives you room to use that space for whatever when you aren't sleeping and make it like a full living room.

I imagine that this space probably comes with other amenities, so they are probably not home much anyway - this is for someone who is young and just needs a place to crash. With the money I saved, I was rarely home. You go out to nice lunches, dinners, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 10:33 AM

Thinking about it further, it wouldn't shock me if this person was in tech or finance. If so, the hours are long, and what is most important is that you are close to work and in a vibrant area that you can enjoy when you have down time.

Old 01-05-2022, 10:41 AM

34,154 posts, read 47,390,083 times
What building is this apartment located in? I did not see a link.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-05-2022, 11:05 AM

Quote:
What building is this apartment located in? I did not see a link.
The "Dime" - 275 South 5th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211

https://thedime.com/

Old 01-05-2022, 11:11 AM

I gotta say. I just viewed a two bedroom one bath in that building virtually, and I know people who live in Battery Park City that probably pay similar rents for a two bedroom, two bath that have far more space. If anything, the two bedroom is too small for almost $6,300 a month.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:12 AM

1,046 posts, read 470,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If you know how to organize the space, it's almost like living in a one bedroom, and how much crap does one person need?
That's basically my feeling. The more space you give me the more stupid, unnecessary stuff I'm going to find to fill it with. I re-did my whole apartment this summer, bought all new furniture, etc. I bought a huge TV for my living room and a regular sized TV for my bedroom. Ask me how many times I've even turned my TV on in my bedroom and I can count it on less than two hands.

I keep thinking, oh I should buy a treadmill. Why? I don't know, I know I'll buy it and then hang laundry on it after a month.

Even now I just bought a recliner and barely even sit on the brand new couch I bought ever since I got it.

I just don't need a lot of stuff/space as a single person on my own. I'd rather have experiences than material things.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The "Dime" - 275 South 5th St, Brooklyn, NY 11211

https://thedime.com/
I am willing to bet that this neighborhood got weed delivery

Maybe it is worth the price tag in that case

Old 01-05-2022, 11:16 AM

73 posts, read 33,168 times
Quote:

brother, i am willing to bet that all neighborhoods in new york city get weed delivery

Old 01-05-2022, 11:24 AM

1,046 posts, read 470,913 times
Quote:

Get a medical marijuana card and almost any neighborhood is a weed delivery.

I had to get mine last year and I get delivery.

Old 01-05-2022, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWEATSHIRT View Post
brother, i am willing to bet that all neighborhoods in new york city get weed delivery
Don't say that around any Boomers on here

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City