Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2022, 12:51 PM

1,046 posts, read 469,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Not only that, but the kitchen is literally right by the entrance. It's not so much the space that I have an issue with, but rather the layout. The way my old studio was set up, I had the entrance near my linen closet and walk-in closet. The kitchen was next, separated by the island and then my living space.

Bathroom was next to my walk-in closet which made a lot of sense for obvious reasons, and the living space was next to the balcony, so it never felt tight, provided you keep the place tidy and don't have clutter. On warm days with the balcony door open, it's like an extended living space, even if you're not actually out on the balcony, but it does add to the overall feeling of living in a larger space. Another negative about this place is while I see what looks like a window that can be opened, there is no balcony, so you'd have to find other ways to make the space feel bigger.
My apartment is set up in such a way that when you walk into the front door you either take two steps straight forward into the kitchen or veer right and walk two steps into the living room (I also have a balcony). There's a wall separating the two rooms. The only hallway in my apartment is in the back towards the bedrooms.

My living room and dining room are only separated by a small foot long wrought iron fence and the dining room is separated from the kitchen by a tiny wall. Basically it's a circular firing squad of rooms with an L-shaped small wall in the center. It's hellish to cool down in the summer because it's such a wide open space.

That's another reason I don't want all these rooms. I'm not paying for A/C for all of them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2022, 01:02 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
My apartment is set up in such a way that when you walk into the front door you either take two steps straight forward into the kitchen or veer right and walk two steps into the living room (I also have a balcony). There's a wall separating the two rooms. The only hallway in my apartment is in the back towards the bedrooms.

My living room and dining room are only separated by a small foot long wrought iron fence and the dining room is separated from the kitchen by a tiny wall. Basically it's a circular firing squad of rooms with an L-shaped small wall in the center. It's hellish to cool down in the summer because it's such a wide open space.

That's another reason I don't want all these rooms. I'm not paying for A/C for all of them!
lol My A/C unit was next to the balcony door, but to be honest, I never had A/C there because on really hot days, I wasn't there anyway, or with the shade, it was probably 10 degrees cooler there, so it would have to be close to 100 degrees and terribly humid to be hot there. A fan was usually sufficient, save maybe a few times out of the year.

Right now in my current place, there is a HUGE window A/C in the living room. It takes a ton of electricity, but it can technically cool almost the entire apartment, since the spaces can be closed off (even the living room), so I can get by with just one A/C with the doors open to the bedrooms.

That said though, the bill is still easily $200 a month during the summer because the apartment gets pretty stuffy. That's the other thing about a studio. Less square footage to deal with, so lower ConEd bills. Some months my ConEd bill was barely $40.00, and that's with moderate cooking, etc. Now, I'm lucky if my bill is under $85.00.

One thing I will say about these new apartments is usually in addition to the high rents, the tenant also has to pay for cooling AND heating. My ex-girlfriend had that set up and it makes for astronomical ConEd bills. She thought paying under $200 a month for ConEd wasn't so bad. lol There was a dual heating/cooling unit installed near the living room area by the balcony, and it broke during the winter. Luckily management replaced it on their dime, otherwise that would've been an expense fix.

Old 01-06-2022, 10:19 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
If you want to pay 3200 a month for that space be my guest. No one in this thread is for that price point but you.
Doesn't matter who is "for" that price. Determination of price is not a democracy.
If the Dime manages to rent out most of the units, then the price was fair and reasonable. If they don't, they will lower prices.
Quote:
I gotta say. I just viewed a two bedroom one bath in that building virtually, and I know people who live in Battery Park City that probably pay similar rents for a two bedroom, two bath that have far more space. If anything, the two bedroom is too small for almost $6,300 a month.
For some people Williamsburg is more desirable than Manhattan.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:14 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,031,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Doesn't matter who is "for" that price. Determination of price is not a democracy.
If the Dime manages to rent out most of the units, then the price was fair and reasonable. If they don't, they will lower prices.

For some people Williamsburg is more desirable than Manhattan.
Yes, pothead trust fund hipsters. w/a dual degree in theater and art history. working in starbucks. whenever i meet a hipster I dont bother arguing with their politics. instead, i encourage them to double down on whatever useless major they have. For example, I told a hipster barista recently that he should pursue a master's degree and perhaps even a doctorate. Let them enjoy sinking in more years and money into an unprofitable enterprise.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:05 PM

3,144 posts, read 2,735,240 times
People with trust funds aren't working in Starbucks, and if they feel like spending their whole lives doing interesting and fun things like art history, they can.

Old 01-06-2022, 02:17 PM

603 posts, read 600,762 times
Quote:
I gotta say. I just viewed a two bedroom one bath in that building virtually, and I know people who live in Battery Park City that probably pay similar rents for a two bedroom, two bath that have far more space. If anything, the two bedroom is too small for almost $6,300 a month.
Just FYI, there is no 2bed 1bath at the Dime - 2bed, 2bath yes.

The guy in the article is a basketball trainer. He trains players from hs, college, and the NBA. Nice guy. I live at the Dime, love it! Won an affordable 3 bedroom unit here. I agree the units are not the biggest but more than enough for most people. And the amenity spaces are huge, especially the outdoor spaces.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:46 PM

73 posts, read 33,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Yes, pothead trust fund hipsters. w/a dual degree in theater and art history. working in starbucks. whenever i meet a hipster I dont bother arguing with their politics. instead, i encourage them to double down on whatever useless major they have. For example, I told a hipster barista recently that he should pursue a master's degree and perhaps even a doctorate. Let them enjoy sinking in more years and money into an unprofitable enterprise.
I mean, Williamsburg is far more popular for young white-collar workers (finance, etc) than is Battery Park City. Though not necessarily this building.

Last edited by SWEATSHIRT; 01-07-2022 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-10-2022, 07:54 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
There's a sucker born every minute!

P.T. Barnum

Old 01-11-2022, 09:17 PM

101 posts, read 61,297 times
This is not surprising at all. Williamsburg is incredibly overpriced. I like the area but there's not one apartment available you can find for under $2K, including those that are very old and run down.

It's the overpricing of rentals that has made a lot of people either move to Bushwick for a little cheaper, or perhaps settle in JC which has a Williamsburg feel to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City