Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2021, 11:08 AM

18,476 posts, read 31,653,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Easy for you to say. When you purchase a property, you do so as an investment, one of the biggest ones you can make. I don't want a homeless shelter where I sleep at night. Put it elsewhere!

The City and de Blasio are idiots, driving away a much needed tax base.

I adsolutely agree with you. My neighborhood is also facing the same problem, they knocked down a enterprise rent a car in Bath Beach and the community is fighting it.

No, I too do not want a freaking homeless shelter a few blocks from my apartment, I did my due dilligence to pick a nice hood to live in, I don't want a homeless shelter near me, let alone 150 single mentally ill men roaming the streets, hell to the eff no, I don't want this.

and how unfair of our officials think there is nothing wrong with plopping these shelters all across the board, BDB is the biggest loser ever, he wants to evenly distribute them, yeah, ruin all our neighborhoods you big freaking dufus, idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2021, 11:17 AM

https://www.change.org/p/mayor-bill-...ue-in-brooklyn

https://brooklynreporter.com/2021/08...eless-shelter/

were trying to stop this in our neighborhood.

how unfair of the deblaz administration, shame on them

Old 11-10-2021, 11:19 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I adsolutely agree with you. My neighborhood is also facing the same problem, they knocked down a enterprise rent a car in Bath Beach and the community is fighting it.

No, I too do not want a freaking homeless shelter a few blocks from my apartment, I did my due dilligence to pick a nice hood to live in, I don't want a homeless shelter near me, let alone 150 single mentally ill men roaming the streets, hell to the eff no, I don't want this.

and how unfair of our officials think there is nothing wrong with plopping these shelters all across the board, BDB is the biggest loser ever, he wants to evenly distribute them, yeah, ruin all our neighborhoods you big freaking dufus, idiot.
I heard about the one in Bath Beach. Actually I believe there is a second one being proposed in that general area, which would be either in Bay Ridge or Dyker Heights. Unreal...

https://www.amny.com/news/plans-prop...s-to-brooklyn/

Old 11-10-2021, 11:24 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,491,391 times
People rent for that. Anyone buying usually has the investment quality of the property as a consideration. It may be secondary, but it's definitely part of the decision. If the value of the property would go down, what's the advantage to buying?

One thing I wonder about this building is who owns it? I may have known this years ago, but it isn't in any of the articles. I'm surprised a developer didn't buy it, tear it down and build the lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Hmmm most people I know purchase property to have a roof over their head and for somewhere to sleep.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:36 PM

379 posts, read 517,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This is the City claiming that they need to "spread the burden equally". Please... The City has spent record amounts of money on the homeless problem, and under de Blasio, the homeless population has only increased. If they really wanted to address homelessness, they wouldn't be focusing on shelters, but rather permanent housing.

Look at some of the contracts the City is voting on next week. The proposed shelter in North Riverdale alone would be worth almost $200 million dollars. It's very clear that there are some people that stand to profit handsomely from these deals. https://riverdalepress.com/stories/c...UVr0jH9_J09tLY

Contracts under consideration next week:

• Bowery Residents Committee for a homeless single adults shelter at 13-12 Beach Channel Drive in Far Rockaway through June 2064 for $455.8 million.

• Care for the Homeless for a homeless single adults shelter at 91 E. Broadway in Manhattan through June 2053 for $338 million.

• Catholic Charities Community Services Archdiocese of New York for a homeless single adults shelter at 47 Madison St., in Manhattan through June 2065 for $183.6 million.

• Children's Rescue Fund/Icahn House for a homeless families with children shelter at 162 E. 206th St., in the Bronx through June 2030 for $38.1 million.

• HELP Social Services Corp., for a homeless women's intake and assessment shelter at 221 Glenmore Ave., Brooklyn through June 2065 for $508.9 million.

• Urban Resource Institute, for a homeless families with children shelter at 133-04 39th Ave., in Flushing through June 2065 for $440.1 million.

• Westhab, for a homeless single adults shelter at 62 Hanson Place in Brooklyn through June 2026 (with an option to renew through June 2030) for $60.9 million.

• Westhab, for a homeless single adults shelter at 2028 White Plains Road in the Bronx through June 2026 (with an option to renew through June 2030) for $43.5 million.
Look at some of the years on these contracts

Well, not shocked. I guess it's anticipated that N.Y.C. won't reach an equitable, inclusive, utopia status by then. By the way, how many of deBlasio's cronies have their hands in the "non-profits" that are running these things?

Old 11-10-2021, 02:33 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,298,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
Look at some of the years on these contracts

Well, not shocked. I guess it's anticipated that N.Y.C. won't reach an equitable, inclusive, utopia status by then. By the way, how many of deBlasio's cronies have their hands in the "non-profits" that are running these things?
Remember not too long ago, de Blasio was accused of being in bed with developers.

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...icle-1.2660421

Old 11-10-2021, 03:54 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,677 times
I am from a country where everyone needs to find a purpose or you don't eat. This coddling and decades of subsidizing able bodied adults are not solutions to a problem. There was a shelter in an area I used to frequent. Everyday all these able bodied men would pile out and hang out on the street corner all day long being a nuisance.

Find work for them to do. If we are going to provide them shelter at substantial cost find jobs for them. They can bet trained in trades. There is a huge shortage of workers and goods. We can put these homeless to work in producing goods and services.

Despite loving NYC, I will be leaving in the next 5 to 10 years. Where I am going there are no public transportation, it is out of the way. Fat chance of homeless shelters being built there.

Everyone takes pride in their neighborhood. The schools are amazing and everyone votes conservatively.

Old 11-11-2021, 07:55 AM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
DeBlasio’s policies are ruining NYC.

How can homeless shelters in beautiful, famous, high-end neighborhoods possibly be good for the city? These shelters house many disturbed people.

Every neighborhood in Manhattan is being filled with psychopaths who attack people randomly, and hoards of aimless men roaming the streets, hanging out in doorways, relieving themselves in public, sleeping on benches, hassling people, creating an atmosphere of vulnerability, etc. Crime is increasing everyday. You don’t feel safe anywhere.

NYC used to be a fantastic place to visit. But it’s rapidly losing its appeal. Such a shame.

Old 11-11-2021, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage 80 View Post
DeBlasio’s policies are ruining NYC.

How can homeless shelters in beautiful, famous, high-end neighborhoods possibly be good for the city? These shelters house many disturbed people.

Every neighborhood in Manhattan is being filled with psychopaths who attack people randomly, and hoards of aimless men roaming the streets, hanging out in doorways, relieving themselves in public, sleeping on benches, hassling people, creating an atmosphere of vulnerability, etc. Crime is increasing everyday. You don’t feel safe anywhere.

NYC used to be a fantastic place to visit. But it’s rapidly losing its appeal. Such a shame.

yes yes yes, I am in total agreement with this post.

I want to know, how on Earth does our elected officials not see that having homeless shelters in our working class neighborhoods is a good thing?

Like stated before, I live in a moderate middle class neighborhood, why on Earth would this idiot mayor think this is a good location for mentally disturbed men to be roaming the streets and area all day long?

Every neighborhood that has found out there is to be a shelter has fought not to have it, that should be the mayors first clue, we don't want homeless shelters in our neigborhoods, they house mentally disturbed and in a lot of cases, violent men.

what would make this idiot think that evenley distributing these shelters would be a positive thing for our regular working class neighborhoods.
The mayor we have is destroying our city, in fact all of our elected officials have ruined our city.

Old 11-11-2021, 09:09 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,331,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Why are people so shocked by this. This is the way things always have been. People just didn't always know they were living next to homeless shelters because it wasn't advertised and there was no google to check. I lived in a co-op building. Apartments ranged from half million to a few million and literally right next door was a homeless shelter. This is what you get when you live in a city. You want a gated community then go to the burbs.
going by the top 100 zip code list released, they have. The Hamptons has more zip codes than NYC now in the top 100. Suffolk lead the entire state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City