Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2021, 08:21 AM

107,044 posts, read 109,362,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I stand against the wall or pillars and have my right hand free and near my belt line at all times. Pretty easy to bring a firearm to bear when you carry properly, train accordingly, and keep the proper mindset and awareness.
keyword being carried properly..

many who carry , carry quite badly ..

the worst of the lot are those small of back holsters …they are impossible to keep control over , access yourself can be poor ,plus fall on your back and you can end up paralyzed ..ankle holsters are also difficult to get to yet are very popular .

my favorites are thunderwear which allow one to have access easily like you described or a good old fashioned pocket / wallet holster with a concealed hammer .38 snubby with good p+ ammo or magsafes / glassers ,it never even has to be introduced out of your pocket to use it…

unlike shootouts law enforcement may get in to at a slight distance , civilians needs are usually going to be very up close and personal and have different needs in both firearms and carry methods.

the concealed hammer snubby has no safety to worry about , will always go bang without risk of a jam and can shoot right from a pocket multiple times without ever having to come out to work like a semi auto pistol does .

the magsafes and glassers are designed not to over penetrate in crowded areas with others around you so they are a good , although expensive choice .they were designed for the sky marshalls

so civilians generally are going to have different needs

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-21-2021 at 09:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2021, 03:43 AM

one thing i will add is there is no one carry method that is best for all situations…

thunderwear or in the waist band holsters are great if standing , but terrible in an auto hijacking or getting to in a car .….

under the arm shoulder holsters are best for usage sitting in a car …

famny packs are convenient but the draw strings that open them quickly are a give away to anyone who knows .
also desantis really dropped the ball brand labeling them THE FORCE on the outside of the fanny pack when they introduced them , announcing to the world it really is a holster ..

so there needs to be quite a lot of research in to how you carry and where , far more then laymen know.

few civilians take the time to learn about ammo choice , firearm choice and carry choices …most are pretty ignorant on it . in fact i know many from law enforcement that are no where near as knowledgeable as they should be .

politics plays more a role in what they use being in law enforcement then tactics and ballistics do

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-22-2021 at 03:52 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 03:45 AM

19,092 posts, read 14,056,720 times
Well hopefully soon the supreme court will ensure that laymen can start carrying.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-22-2021, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Well hopefully soon the supreme court will ensure that laymen can start carrying.
from your mouth to gods ears ..even a reversion back to our old target hunting permit would be a huge plus …

carrying with no criminal charges if caught is a big gain ,as well as the permits are valid out of state unlike the residence permits.

these residence permits legality are very questionable as state law says you cant hunt or go to a range freely with them .

but nyc gives you a little permission slip to do so but the nypd only has jurisdiction in city limits which is why initially they said you can only go to ranges in nyc .

the last big court case had them remove the only in nyc restriction on ranges

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-22-2021 at 04:18 AM..

Old 11-22-2021, 06:27 AM

8,420 posts, read 4,444,601 times
I don't use subway in NYC any more. It has gotten too dangerous.

Old 11-22-2021, 07:10 AM

we rarely have a reason to take a subway .

we take the lirr to penn station from the bayside station and usually just walk up town .

i think the last subway ride was 3 or 4 years ago to go to the museum of natural history.

we go to the city a few times a year ..i think the last time was the eagles concert at madison square garden in the febuary before covid started

Old 11-22-2021, 07:24 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,350,400 times
Better solution... Don't take the subway. Problem solved! Like mathjak, I take the railroad or express bus or drive.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:00 AM

5 posts, read 3,420 times
Does anyone have any comments or experience on mace/pepper spray as a defense tool? They sell little portable containers you can carry in your purse or pocket.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:17 AM

meh …. there are many disadvantages and problems with it .

pepper spray does not work well on someone drug crazed .

it counts on the wind being right or you get it too.

it requires manipulation of a small button and proper orientation when you likely have lost your fine motor skills .it can be near impossible to deploy when you are shaking like a leaf in a storm .

it is useless if grabbed from behind

pepper spray expires

it requires a proper contact area

used in a confined space like a subway may effect you and others as well .

it can put you at a disadvantage if you get more of it then the bad guy .

it is not man stopping for someone with a weapon ..they can still grab and stab you or shoot you

it can lead to a very big false sense of confidence in it

Old 11-22-2021, 11:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,567,899 times
I never take the subway. Took the M4 to the Cloisters this week and thoroughly enjoyed it.

ETA: I have pepper spray but luckily never had to use it, but since 7th pointed out the wind thing somewhere in these pages a long time ago, I don't even carry it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City