Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 03:36 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,778,202 times

Advertisements

My building has a lot more residents now than the same time a year ago.

https://gothamist.com/news/nyc-has-r...ntent=20211116

New York City has regained roughly three-quarters of the population that fled during the first year of the pandemic, the latest signal that the return of in-person activities has jumpstarted the region's recovery.

Since July, the city has registered a net gain of move-ins compared to 2019 levels, a first since the start of the pandemic, according to a new analysis by City Comptroller Scott Stringer. The increase has been fueled by an influx of people to wealthier neighborhoods whose residents fled during the height of the health crisis.

The findings are based on change of address data filed with the U.S. Postal Service, a measure of those who request mail forwarding that leaves out wide swaths of the city, including individuals moving from abroad. But experts say the data, while limited, offers a useful status update on the dramatic population swings that have impacted the city over the last two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 05:00 PM

19,066 posts, read 13,995,482 times
Good someone has to pay my pension because I'm definitely not coming back! Now NYS... maybe. I still lean towards fully retiring to the Adirondacks.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-17-2021, 04:38 AM

16,133 posts, read 6,881,763 times
New York City has regained roughly three-quarters of the population that fled?

Who replaced the people with incomes? People with lesser or more incomes?
Who replaced the people with skill sets ? People with lesser or greater skill sets?
Who replaced the rooted Americans that left? Visas,green cards, immigrants, new Citizens or other rooted Americans?

Are taxpayers that left being replaced by taxpayers or government dependents.

This is important to know and understand as any Chef
knows that any change in even the simplest of salads
can lead to more robust or catastrophic flavors.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:02 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,971,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Good someone has to pay my pension because I'm definitely not coming back! Now NYS... maybe. I still lean towards fully retiring to the Adirondacks.
Visited lake placid a couple weeks ago, and absolutely loved it. I couldn’t believe I was even in this crap state. If it was such a far drive I would consider a second home up there for sure.

Old 11-18-2021, 05:40 AM

5,845 posts, read 2,967,245 times
Adirondacks are great if you love outdoors and your knees still work. Winter months are brutal for old farts.

Old 11-18-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
Visited lake placid a couple weeks ago, and absolutely loved it. I couldn’t believe I was even in this crap state. If it was such a far drive I would consider a second home up there for sure.
Head slightly further west to Saranac Lake next time if you really want to fall in love.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-18-2021, 07:11 AM

5,733 posts, read 4,116,454 times
Most likely, the person you are renting the room from isn't paying the rent. Be careful.

BTW, most landlords can't survive on 75% occupancy

Old 11-18-2021, 07:13 AM

6,692 posts, read 6,047,195 times
Quote:
That's very beautiful over there - very therapeutic. My aunt and uncle live in those mountains. Originally from Far Rockaway, they moved to the Adirondacks back in the 70's when they were young and the city became pure garbage.

Only they have a big problem now: Although they can do things like cut the grass, they are unable to cut the cattails around their pond, and have difficulty putting the pool away for the winter as they have approached their 80's. Although they're still strong for their age, their children and my brother frequently have to go up there to help them maintain their property. They have recently posted their home for sale with hopes of moving to Florida instead.

By the way, I'm sure you know, but Upstate doesn't have the politics that Downstate has. They're pretty red up there!

Old 11-18-2021, 07:24 AM

Its a shame that upstate is stuck tied to the city and Long Island.

Old 11-18-2021, 07:26 AM

5,845 posts, read 2,967,245 times
Quote:
Its a shame that upstate is stuck tied to the city and Long Island.
Li is all RED bud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City