Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2021, 01:18 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Let me ask you. If you could live in either neighborhood. In the same type of building. Same apartment layout. Paying the same rent. Which would you choose?

The developer is taking a chance on the neighborhood. There are fewer places left in NYC to put up such large projects. So the Bronx looks less risky for builders. But only time will tell and I think the affordable units will end up dragging down the entire development in a few years.

Permits have been filed for this project -
https://newyorkyimby.com/2021/11/per...the-bronx.html

Parking will be provided for 91% of the units (548 spaces for 602 units). High number for the Bronx but smart move as many of the new tenants will want to shop and dine outside of the immediate area.

Quote:
The building will have 602 residences, most likely rentals based on the average unit scope of 919 square feet. The concrete-based structure will also have a cellar, 274 enclosed parking spaces, and 274 open parking spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2021, 01:22 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
The developer is taking a chance on the neighborhood. There are fewer places left in NYC to put up such large projects. So the Bronx looks less risky for builders. But only time will tell and I think the affordable units will end up dragging down the entire development in a few years.

Parking will be provided for 91% of the units (548 spaces for 602 units). High for the Bronx but smart move as many of the new tenants will want to shop and dine outside of the immediate area.

The criteria for modern affordable units run a pretty ridiculous gamut when it comes to criteria, and I didn't see any specific details on what those would be here. Did they post the AMI and income bands somewhere?

The smart move would be to have the Metro-North station be more usable though that's a long shot. It's also a relatively short walk to the 1 train in Washington Heights. It does mention there will be a mix of commercial in there, so maybe there'll be something decent there. Certainly a decent grocery store would probably be nice though I suppose the walk to Washington Heights isn't too bad especially if it was pretty easy to get to the bridge instead of some roundabout path. Something like level boarding on to the bridge directly from the building would probably be helpful.

The real ****ty bit of this is probably living right next to the Deegan. I doubt they're going to cap that thing.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:12 PM

34,009 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Let me ask you. If you could live in either neighborhood. In the same type of building. Same apartment layout. Paying the same rent. Which would you choose?
Depends on how long my commute to work would be

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-19-2021, 04:15 PM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
Quote:

Parking will be provided for 91% of the units (548 spaces for 602 units). High number for the Bronx but smart move as many of the new tenants will want to shop and dine outside of the immediate area.
They aren't taken a risk...they are taking the incentive money all the way to the bank.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:20 PM

870 posts, read 413,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
who the F is gonna live up there rn?
Wealthier Dominicans from the Heights and Fordham who are looking to still be close, yet in a better-looking building-apartment... I am only assuming.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:19 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
So many think “Nobody wants to live there, it’s the hood.” That’s short-sighted. These developers are taking the long- term view that the market will move their way. After all, nobody wanted to live in Harlem or Bushwick or Bed-Stuy too many years ago, and now real estate prices in all three are nuts. It will take time, but I wouldn’t necessarily bet against these developments.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:35 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
If Condos with blue lights are being built in the South Bronx, across from Mitchel Houses, then any neighborhood is "fair game!" Fordham Landing is just up the river.....!

Old 11-20-2021, 01:05 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
If Condos with blue lights are being built in the South Bronx, across from Mitchel Houses, then any neighborhood is "fair game!" Fordham Landing is just up the river.....!

How bad are the Mitchel Houses? Wait a minute I answered my own question -
https://abc7ny.com/new-york-city-bro...uses/11209300/

This looks like a bad mix. NYCHA across from a more upscale development. The best case is nothing bad happens. The worst, and more likely case, is that the NYCHA tenants will steal from the Fordham Landing tenants pretty much at will due to bail reform. I hope I'm wrong.

I guess the developer wins no matter what if he's smart. Even if in a few years all the market rate tenants leave he still might be able to make money on buildings filled with Section-8, voucher, and the homeless. Maybe. All paid for either in full or in part by the NYC taxpayer. Might have to change the name to 'Welfare Landing' though.

Old 11-20-2021, 05:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
How bad are the Mitchel Houses? Wait a minute I answered my own question -
https://abc7ny.com/new-york-city-bro...uses/11209300/

This looks like a bad mix. NYCHA across from a more upscale development. The best case is nothing bad happens. The worst, and more likely case, is that the NYCHA tenants will steal from the Fordham Landing tenants pretty much at will due to bail reform. I hope I'm wrong.

I guess the developer wins no matter what if he's smart. Even if in a few years all the market rate tenants leave he still might be able to make money on buildings filled with Section-8, voucher, and the homeless. Maybe. All paid for either in full or in part by the NYC taxpayer. Might have to change the name to 'Welfare Landing' though.

Wrong neighborhood probably a misreading of the post you quoted. This Fordham Landing plan is not across the street from the Michel Houses. Those are about an hour and a half walk away. Closest NYCHA is across the river and then a few blocks more.

Old 11-20-2021, 09:03 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Wrong neighborhood probably a misreading of the post you quoted. This Fordham Landing plan is not across the street from the Michel Houses. Those are about an hour and a half walk away. Closest NYCHA is across the river and then a few blocks more.
There are those condos in the South Bronx, that are across the street from Mitchel. It's not Fordham Landing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: