Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 1,233 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am currently a city employee for almost five years and got an email for NYPD motor vehicle operator. I was wondering if anyone by any chance know what the job environment is like? Work hours? Vacation time?

It seems that I will be driving inmates to police stations, court house, detention centers etc. I was wondering what else the job would require? I do have a CDL B license but it's not required or mentioned for this position.

Technically the starting pay is identical to my current job but the increase in two years for MVO is better.

For my current position I'm allowed to work Sundays for additional vacation time and allowed to take off for a month or two at a time if wanted. You get 12 vacation day and 8 sick days per year. Only five undoc sick allowed every six months. I'm also paid holidays.
Set schedule mon to Fri 9-5.

Can I work as a mvo on days off for more vacation time? Any info would be great. I found an old thread on this site about MVO which is why I'm asking here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 03:40 PM

19,059 posts, read 13,985,530 times
Are you sure about the moving prisoners around part? I only retired last year so I doubt it has changed that much. The MVO was a civilian position in the precincts to help transfer cars to and from the repair shops and keep up with the maintenance schedules on the cars. They had no prisoner contact whatsoever.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-18-2021, 10:42 PM

Thanks for responding. It sounded really weird to me but you're right I read that part of the description wrong. It said "..may operate vehicles which transport inmates..."

Can you tell me more about the job on a typical day? How are the hrs and schedule is like? and how vacation time is offered and granted? How many yrs of service is required for partial or full retirement?

Thank you.

Old 11-19-2021, 04:53 AM

I'm sorry I can't help with their benefits, vacation and such. I was a cop. I interacted with this position as part of my work but never delved into their specific details. I will say that most of the "car guys" I remember were always happy and seemed interested in their work.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 11-19-2021, 01:45 PM

That's fine thank you. I'll ask my questions during the interview. I'm surprise I got an email after taking the exam nine years ago.

Old 11-19-2021, 01:46 PM

Good luck.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City