Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2022, 09:44 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Average being the key word. They are both still relatively poor countries, with Haiti obviously being very poor. Nothing earth shattering here. When countries are stable, you don't see lots of immigration. Dominicans continue to come here for better opportunities.

That said, it helps that you have so many Europeans and other Westerners that flock to the Dominican Republic, so they have tourism that helps a lot. Haiti is in much worse shape.
You stated something patently false (because you wanted it to be true). You were presented with facts to dispute your claim.

...and you double down.

Old 06-13-2022, 09:57 AM

12,793 posts, read 8,371,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You stated something patently false (because you wanted it to be true). You were presented with facts to dispute your claim.

...and you double down.
What did I state that was inaccurate? lol They are both poor countries when compared to Western countries (my apologies for not clarifying that originally). Your stats are not proving anything different, unless you are arguing that the Dominican Republic is not a poor country?

Your argument is that people in the DR live 6x as better as Haiti, but that is compared to what exactly? That is the question and you should quantify that. I've clarified on my end. You should do the same. Perhaps that is the confusion. Based on what other countries I am comparing these two countries with, I stand by what I said.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:44 PM

2,335 posts, read 1,051,181 times
Haiti is still very volatile. Their President was recently assassinated by a group of Colombian hit men and his bodyguards were paid to take the day off. This was obviously an inside job but as with all things Haitian it quickly became a conspiracy theory about the USA. Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. But the fact is if Haitians keep leaving the country then Haiti won't improve. Some have to stay and work on fixing domestic issues.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredofnyclife View Post
Haiti is still very volatile. Their President was recently assassinated by a group of Colombian hit men and his bodyguards were paid to take the day off. This was obviously an inside job but as with all things Haitian it quickly became a conspiracy theory about the USA. Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn't. But the fact is if Haitians keep leaving the country then Haiti won't improve. Some have to stay and work on fixing domestic issues.
Haiti also has a massive corruption problem, which continues to contribute to the severe poverty problems there.

Old 06-13-2022, 05:44 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,283,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What did I state that was inaccurate? lol They are both poor countries when compared to Western countries (my apologies for not clarifying that originally). Your stats are not proving anything different, unless you are arguing that the Dominican Republic is not a poor country?

Your argument is that people in the DR live 6x as better as Haiti, but that is compared to what exactly? That is the question and you should quantify that. I've clarified on my end. You should do the same. Perhaps that is the confusion. Based on what other countries I am comparing these two countries with, I stand by what I said.
Admit you're wrong and move on. Maybe you'll.learn something along the way.

Quote:
. The economic divergence between these two countries is one of the most remarkable in the world, perhaps surpassed only by North and South Korea. As recently as 1960, the two countries had similar standards of living. Today, the D.R., by some measures, is eight times as rich as Haiti, while Haiti’s standard of living hasn’t advanced at all since 1950.
https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/ha...n-republic?s=r

Old 06-13-2022, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Admit you're wrong and move on. Maybe you'll.learn something along the way.

https://noahpinion.substack.com/p/ha...n-republic?s=r
I'm asking you to explain what you are comparing these two countries to and you still haven't answered that. I see Argentina is on this list and they have had several financial collapses over the years. Brazil was on the up and up for a while for a developing country, but they have slipped, so I still am not sure what you're comparing the Dominican Republic to.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:39 AM

5,165 posts, read 4,507,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
Third World Country, hardly an example for an American neighborhood.
Wow…

You have a very unkind and ungenerous heart.

You are unable to see other people honored without trying to put them down by throwing in a mean and disrespectful remark.

Obviously the Haitians in that community are doing something well if people are commending them. Clearly you have no idea what’s going on there, but you just can’t resist being spiteful—for no reason.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:54 AM

964 posts, read 954,116 times
I don’t know why that section in Flatbush was named little haiti when immigrants from the Caribbean and Africa live there. It didn’t make sense at all. The area is full of crime.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:22 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,423,746 times
It’s cool that the subway announcements say little Haiti also

Old 06-16-2022, 11:23 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,423,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani15 View Post
I don’t know why that section in Flatbush was named little haiti when immigrants from the Caribbean and Africa live there. It didn’t make sense at all. The area is full of crime.
Nostrand Avenue between Flatbush Junction and Church Avenue is very Haitian. You clearly have never been to the area.

Overall Haitians have the largest population in Flatbush.

P.S - not much Africans live there either and idk what was your point about crime
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City