Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2022, 11:27 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,430,538 times

Advertisements

Not sure how a community named little Haiti because of its high Haitian population got everyone on city data speaking about Haiti politics. Do any of you live in the area? So how does it bother you. Do you avoid Mexican areas in NYc because of the cartel since we are going by that logic?

I wonder if calling Brighton beach little Russia is now offensive too.

Old 06-16-2022, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Anyone have recommendations on favorite Haitian restaurants and dishes for those restaurants? I found that I really like Haitian patties which have a puff pastry sort of exterior and their hot sauces to go with it are great.
I can actually send you the Instagram of a Haitian chef who makes the best Pattie’s

Old 06-17-2022, 08:09 AM

621 posts, read 245,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Its a by-product of growing up in insular neighborhoods - by not experiencing different cultures, they're not used to people who look and sound different

Here's where I respectfully disagree with you a bit. I think it's inexcusable to live in a global diverse city like NY and spout ignorant, racist nonsense like what some people on this forum do. I lived in the South for about 10 years of my adult life. It's easy to isolate yourself in your neighborhood b/c the South is heavily segregated. Not so much in NYC. You cannot go far in this city without encountering people who look different than you. As this relates to Little Haiti, people have no problem with a St. Patrick's parade or a Little Italy. But just renaming a train station has people up in arms? Spouting ignorance nonsense about Haitian history that has nothing to do with the train station?

What kind of people do we have in this city now?

Old 06-17-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
Here's where I respectfully disagree with you a bit. I think it's inexcusable to live in a global diverse city like NY and spout ignorant, racist nonsense like what some people on this forum do. I lived in the South for about 10 years of my adult life. It's easy to isolate yourself in your neighborhood b/c the South is heavily segregated. Not so much in NYC. You cannot go far in this city without encountering people who look different than you. As this relates to Little Haiti, people have no problem with a St. Patrick's parade or a Little Italy. But just renaming a train station has people up in arms? Spouting ignorance nonsense about Haitian history that has nothing to do with the train station?

What kind of people do we have in this city now?
Haiti is actually unique. It’s a country people like to bully. And what’s said is that Haitians bother nobody. If the mayor had renamed Church Avenue in the 50s section of East Flatbush Little Jamaica or named Kings Hwy in Homecrest Little Israel you wouldn’t hear a peep from the Haitian community.

And this is what boils my anger a group of people who typically mind their business can’t even have a street named after their country without racist people chiming in about Haitian corruption which has nothing to do with the street being named little Haiti lol.

Old 06-17-2022, 09:05 AM

8,948 posts, read 4,826,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
It’s cool that the subway announcements say little Haiti also
That is cool!

Old 06-17-2022, 09:31 AM

621 posts, read 245,217 times
Quote:
Haiti is actually unique. It’s a country people like to bully. And what’s said is that Haitians bother nobody. If the mayor had renamed Church Avenue in the 50s section of East Flatbush Little Jamaica or named Kings Hwy in Homecrest Little Israel you wouldn’t hear a peep from the Haitian community.

And this is what boils my anger a group of people who typically mind their business can’t even have a street named after their country without racist people chiming in about Haitian corruption which has nothing to do with the street being named little Haiti lol.

Well naming an area Little Jamaica will result in a similar outrage. Otherwise, I totally agree with you!

Old 06-17-2022, 10:19 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,290,515 times
Quote:
Its a by-product of growing up in insular neighborhoods - by not experiencing different cultures, they're not used to people who look and sound different
Does growing up in mostly black or mostly Hispanic neighborhoods in NYC make one insular as well?

Old 06-17-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:

I personally couldn't care less. Thry can name the entire city "Little Haiti" for all I care. The Haitians I've met have all been very respectful and hard working people. However, you seem to have a chip on your shoulder coming from the poorest country in the western hemisphere.

I also come from a very poor country (by European standards). Thankfully, I'm here and not there and now I'm an American. I couldn't care less about the country where I was born.

Old 06-17-2022, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Black as in from the South, or black as in from the Caribbean ? When you say Hispanic, who are you referring to specifically?

See the difference? What was your neighborhood like growing up? Enlighten us.
Why are you avoiding answering the question? It's very straightforward.

Old 06-17-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Proving my point more and more
You made a ridiculous statement and now can't back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City