Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2021, 09:30 AM

562 posts, read 466,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Terrible story!

As for the maggots, one wonders whether the entire building needs to be cleaned out. And whether residents need to be evacuated for a period of time, while the building is cleaned.
The owner of the building indicated in the article that they haven't been allowed inside the victim's apartment yet, because the investigation is still active and the police have it sealed off from public access. As a result, the owner has not been able to have the apartment professionally cleaned and disinfected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 09:31 AM

548 posts, read 722,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yeah, the neighbor was on the phone at the time, heard the gunshots and said it was "normal". It's never normal to hear gunshots from a neighbor's apartment and do nothing.

This is the sad reality of living in NYC . Nobody cares about anyone until it affects them directly ( i.e maggots invasion )...

Old 11-24-2021, 01:58 AM

245 posts, read 343,896 times
So are flies attracted to dead bodies? How do they even get into an apartment especially during this time to lay their eggs?

Old 11-24-2021, 03:13 AM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Real_Deal View Post
So are flies attracted to dead bodies? How do they even get into an apartment especially during this time to lay their eggs?
Yes: https://www.amentsoc.org/insects/ins...ntomology.html

It hasn't been that cold for long enough period to totally kill flies outdoors. This and many buildings are warm enough inside to support flies and other insects. It only takes a few to get things going......

https://www.rutgers.edu/news/fly-awa...d-crime-scenes

For the record this is why you really never want to poison rats indoors. If they die in walls, between floors, or elsewhere in building you cannot get to the stench is horrible. Then there are the flies and other insects.... This goes for squirrels, racoons and any other large sort of vermin. Mice if they die in large enough numbers at once have same effect.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:06 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,366,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Real_Deal View Post
I recall hearing somewhere that certain insects arrive immediately after decomposition starts, so I'm not surprised.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 PM

6,701 posts, read 6,088,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I recall hearing somewhere that certain insects arrive immediately after decomposition starts, so I'm not surprised.
Don’t living organisms come out of a body itself? I think it’s called corpse fauna. A dead body is a universe of autotrophic organisms - meaning they’re able to feed themselves with or without sunlight, food, warmth, etc. The decaying body is all the new organisms need.

Old 11-28-2021, 07:12 PM

481 posts, read 429,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
If I read correctly, neighbors heard the gunshots but didn't do anything. They waited a week for the maggots to invade before doing something??
"She said she heard gunshots and a loud thud on Nov. 6 but didn’t call 911 at the time because she didn’t hear anyone enter Ducille’s apartment or leave. “That was normal for all of us, that the couple fought almost every day,” she said. "I heard the shots but my body didn’t react. I was on the phone with my sister at the time . . . I told my sister, ‘They just killed the woman upstairs.’”"

WTF? Around this part of the article I started to think the downstairs neighbour probably deserved the maggots.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM

32,035 posts, read 27,248,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Beth View Post
"She said she heard gunshots and a loud thud on Nov. 6 but didn’t call 911 at the time because she didn’t hear anyone enter Ducille’s apartment or leave. “That was normal for all of us, that the couple fought almost every day,” she said. "I heard the shots but my body didn’t react. I was on the phone with my sister at the time . . . I told my sister, ‘They just killed the woman upstairs.’”"

WTF? Around this part of the article I started to think the downstairs neighbour probably deserved the maggots.
Just goes to show no good deed goes unpunished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: