Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 05:55 PM

16,180 posts, read 6,938,089 times

Advertisements

I know of a person who was paying $400 for a 2 bedroom and now in a nursing home.
No one in Apartment. Just the furniture. Don't see this person ever returning. Alzheimer's.
Children are paying the rent on behalf of parent refusing to let the apartment go. Does not make sense.

Must want to upset the Landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2021, 06:08 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
I know of a person who was paying $400 for a 2 bedroom and now in a nursing home.
No one in Apartment. Just the furniture. Don't see this person ever returning. Alzheimer's.
Children are paying the rent on behalf of parent refusing to let the apartment go. Does not make sense.

How do you know they're not renting it out of using it themselves?

For the most part, especially when it involves money, there's a reason. I don't think they're paying rent just to upset the landlord.

Either they're renting it out or using it themselves or if they can show they've been paying the rent, maybe it gets transferred over to them when their father/mother dies.

The incentives are so perverse that there can only be a few reasons they're still holding into the apartment and I doubt it's because they just want to upset the LL.

Old 11-26-2021, 06:44 PM

32,014 posts, read 27,204,448 times
Quote:

Someone can be in a hospital, nursing home, prison... it doesn't matter. Long as RS unit is their primary residence and they have every intention to return nothing they can't be touched. Long as rent is paid, and other terms of lease are kept up.

Read in court documents about some guy who was sent upstate. LL tried to take away his RS apartment by sending renewal paper to address (the apartment), which of course were never returned. Tenant sued because LL knew fully well where he was (in prison), and court agreed that LL should have sent copies of renewal lease to that address.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:38 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,309,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
I’m surprised she’s white.
Most rent stabilized tenants in Manhattan (below Harlem are white)

Old 11-26-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
She's not teaching because teaching is a real job and with $1300/month rent, you don't exactly need a real job. She's probably also renting out the second bedroom.

She's a clown just like the rest of NYCers scammers.
Teaching in NYC (or anywhere is mentally exhausting and requires alot of unpaid time and spending the teacher's own money).

She mentioned being unhappy and burnt out.

She now has specific special ed students as her clients that she tutors (for those wealthy Upper east side parents I guess).

She tutors,
blogs/does influencer stuff.
Has sponsorship with different companies to make ads
Does some interior design
Rents her apartments for photo shoots.

I guess mentally and physically she would rather do gig jobs and make the same money and have the freedom and less stress

She put alot of elbow grease into making that apartment cute. It looked like the Rent controlled 1970s apartment when her parents lived there.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:

Tenants and their family do that all the time. I remember reading where the elderly family member moved back to Italy years ago.
Somehow they were able to keep it because what if he had to come back for health care he would be homeless, or some nonesense like that.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Such positive responses as opposed to the poster last week

We cant help who we are
The reason she gets better response is that she actually grew up in the apartment. She went away for college and promptly returned. Her 'name is not just on a con-edison bill'.

She lives there with her 2 cats, pays all the bills. Is a working contributing member of society and she actually spent alot of her own time and money to fix the apartment.

The other poster would not even help his mom to pay half the rent so that he could have a claim to the apartment. He just wanted to put his name on a bill (which I am sure his mom is still stuck paying that bill) and intended to move in when his mom died. That is a bit macabre.

Teachers also do not get paid enough for the work that they do.

If anyone should be given a pass for lucking out on a rent stabilized apartment it is a Special Ed Teacher.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Someone can be in a hospital, nursing home, prison... it doesn't matter. Long as RS unit is their primary residence and they have every intention to return nothing they can't be touched. Long as rent is paid, and other terms of lease are kept up.

Read in court documents about some guy who was sent upstate. LL tried to take away his RS apartment by sending renewal paper to address (the apartment), which of course were never returned. Tenant sued because LL knew fully well where he was (in prison), and court agreed that LL should have sent copies of renewal lease to that address.

IN PRISON?! Why in the world is an apartment being held for anyone in prison?

The rules makes no sense.

Old 11-26-2021, 08:00 PM

15,882 posts, read 14,551,264 times
If they haven't been living in it, they can't get succession rights.

Quote:

Old 11-27-2021, 05:07 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,277,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The reason she gets better response is that she actually grew up in the apartment. She went away for college and promptly returned. Her 'name is not just on a con-edison bill'.

She lives there with her 2 cats, pays all the bills. Is a working contributing member of society and she actually spent alot of her own time and money to fix the apartment.

The other poster would not even help his mom to pay half the rent so that he could have a claim to the apartment. He just wanted to put his name on a bill (which I am sure his mom is still stuck paying that bill) and intended to move in when his mom died. That is a bit macabre.

Teachers also do not get paid enough for the work that they do.

If anyone should be given a pass for lucking out on a rent stabilized apartment it is a Special Ed Teacher.
Shes no different then the OP in the other thread. She (and her parents) abused the system. To shamelessly tout it in public to boot just shows how perverse the incentives are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: