Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 05:12 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
Teaching in NYC (or anywhere is mentally exhausting and requires alot of unpaid time and spending the teacher's own money).

She mentioned being unhappy and burnt out.

She now has specific special ed students as her clients that she tutors (for those wealthy Upper east side parents I guess).

She tutors,
blogs/does influencer stuff.
Has sponsorship with different companies to make ads
Does some interior design
Rents her apartments for photo shoots.

I guess mentally and physically she would rather do gig jobs and make the same money and have the freedom and less stress

She put alot of elbow grease into making that apartment cute. It looked like the Rent controlled 1970s apartment when her parents lived there.
How is she any different than any of the tens of thousands of NYCHA resident paying $500/month in rent and working part time their entire lives effectively being subsidized by everyone who actually works.

She would rather do gig jobs because her and her vile parents found a loophole to exploit in NYC and shift the costs unto others.

This is so normal in NYC that many don't realize how perverse it is. All we hear about is good LL's are scum yet how is she any different?

I can understand helping the old and disabled (mental or physical) but this is just abusing the system. There's an entire cohort in NYC who just tries to take advantage of the system and live in someone else's dime their entire lives. I'm not surprised that she quit teaching at such a young age. Why actually work when you don't have to?

Last edited by Esacni; 11-27-2021 at 05:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2021, 06:12 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,299,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
How is she any different than any of the tens of thousands of NYCHA resident paying $500/month in rent and working part time their entire lives effectively being subsidized by everyone who actually works.

She would rather do gig jobs because her and her vile parents found a loophole to exploit in NYC and shift the costs unto others.

This is so normal in NYC that many don't realize how perverse it is. All we hear about is good LL's are scum yet how is she any different?

I can understand helping the old and disabled (mental or physical) but this is just abusing the system. There's an entire cohort in NYC who just tries to take advantage of the system and live in someone else's dime their entire lives. I'm not surprised that she quit teaching at such a young age. Why actually work when you don't have to?

I totally agree that the system is unfair. I also think it was a tad short sighted to quit one of the few jobs that offer a decent wage, benefits and a pension before vested. But she has the benefit of a cheap apartment and she is an only child (parents can support her if she is in a jam).
So I guess she has no pressure.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:42 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
The reason she gets better response is that she actually grew up in the apartment. She went away for college and promptly returned. Her 'name is not just on a con-edison bill'.

She lives there with her 2 cats, pays all the bills. Is a working contributing member of society and she actually spent alot of her own time and money to fix the apartment.

The other poster would not even help his mom to pay half the rent so that he could have a claim to the apartment. He just wanted to put his name on a bill (which I am sure his mom is still stuck paying that bill) and intended to move in when his mom died. That is a bit macabre.

Teachers also do not get paid enough for the work that they do.

If anyone should be given a pass for lucking out on a rent stabilized apartment it is a Special Ed Teacher.
The poster said they live there

I don't have time to figure out if people are lying or not, because at the end of the day they're really lying to themselves, and that's the worst part

No skin off my back either way

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-27-2021, 11:25 AM

147 posts, read 60,547 times
Quote:

By the looks of her instagram, she's probably racking in at least 30K/month. That is the real reason why she is no longer working as a teacher. Being a successful influencer is extremely lucrative.

Old 11-27-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
By the looks of her instagram, she's probably racking in at least 30K/month. That is the real reason why she is no longer working as a teacher. Being a successful influencer is extremely lucrative.
I doubt she makes that much. I follow other 'influencers' whose platform are much more substantial than hers. They also have millions of followers and diversified portfolio. When they break down what they earn for each campaign (sponsorship) it is not as much as people think.

There is more money being made doing youtube videos.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gia_inNova View Post
Quote:
I doubt she makes that much. I follow other 'influencers' whose platform are much more substantial than hers. They also have millions of followers and diversified portfolio. When they break down what they earn for each campaign (sponsorship) it is not as much as people think.

There is more money being made doing youtube videos.
She has about 40K followers. Maybe but I doubt that equates to $30K/month. You can buy 40K followers for about $5K nowadays. Not saying she is but in these days of Instascam, 40K followers is on the low end.

Teaching has Avery high turnover rate during the first 3 years. It's a tough job. Especially in NYC with so many kids with issues due to poor parenting. Her rent's dirt cheap so she quit a hard job. Same mentality that many in NYCHA have. Why work hard when my basic needs are met the easy way.

TikTok's not nearly as lucrative as YT/Twitch.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:35 PM

1,046 posts, read 468,490 times
Kids inherit stuff from their parents all the time. I don't see why a rent controlled apartment should be any different, especially if she's lived their her entire life.

As for me the apartment is butt ugly and would drive me crazy during the summer trying to cool it off. (Someone posted about this apartment before and I remember that being my complaint then too.)

Old 11-27-2021, 07:20 PM

Quote:
She has about 40K followers. Maybe but I doubt that equates to $30K/month. You can buy 40K followers for about $5K nowadays. Not saying she is but in these days of Instascam, 40K followers is on the low end.

Teaching has Avery high turnover rate during the first 3 years. It's a tough job. Especially in NYC with so many kids with issues due to poor parenting. Her rent's dirt cheap so she quit a hard job. Same mentality that many in NYCHA have. Why work hard when my basic needs are met the easy way.

TikTok's not nearly as lucrative as YT/Twitch.

Never heard of twitch. I am getting old.

Old 11-27-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post
Kids inherit stuff from their parents all the time. I don't see why a rent controlled apartment should be any different, especially if she's lived their her entire life.

As for me the apartment is butt ugly and would drive me crazy during the summer trying to cool it off. (Someone posted about this apartment before and I remember that being my complaint then too.)
"Inheriting" a rent stabilized apartment (if you are not smart about investing the saved money) is on par with inheriting a NYCHA apartment or other kind of welfare.

Yes one gets cheap rent but it becomes the thing that prevents many from striving for better and improving their lot in life. This teacher quit her good paying, pension and benefits providing job. Would she have done the same if she had a regular more expensive apartment? Maybe, maybe not. She would have to think harder about her financial responsibilities and life decisions.

I know many educators and people working in the education field. All of them minorities. All of them working in much tougher school districts than she did.
They all stuck with it. 90% of them own their own homes. Some own 2. They will retire with benefits, pension and some form of TANGIBLE inheritance to leave to their off spring.

Most of them are also immigrants so they view 'struggles' differently.

Her mom and now her I guess did everything to hold on to this apartment. If she ever has kids, I am guessing her kids would do the same. But at what opportunity cost. They are loosing generations and decades of opportunity to improve their lot in life pass renting a cheap apartment.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisky View Post

You don't see why someone renting an apartment shouldn't be able to treat it as personal property and leave it as an "inheritance" to their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: