Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 05:16 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

I bet she was shaken. Can you imagine. Omg. Macabre indeed.
As for the jumper. RIP.

https://www.amny.com/lifestyle/city-...ing-on-impact/

Police say a man took a fatal plunge from a high-rise apartment building in Murray Hill, landing in the middle of Lexington Avenue on Monday morning.

Responding to 911 calls just after 8 a.m. on Nov. 29, police and EMS discovered an unnamed man laying unresponsive at the corner of East 33rd Street and Lexington Avenue just outside of Windsor Court Apartments. According to police sources, the man appeared to have jumped from the 31-story high-rise, taking his own life.

The macabre scene left many locals shocked and unnerved. Azharul, was working at Anita’s Delicatessen when he heard the awful sound of the jumper hitting the road.

“It sounded like a gunshot,” Azharul said, slamming his hand down on the deli’s counter to indicate the noise. “It was very distressing. It happened right in front of one of our customers, she saw the entire thing. She was devastated, she was shaking,” Azharul explained.

Officers swiftly wrapped the area with crime scene tape and concealed the body with a sheet while they investigated. Onlookers could be seen popping their heads out of apartment windows, cupping their mouths in dismay while a sizable crowd gathered on street level muttering among themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 06:42 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,026,428 times
How do we know this was a suicide? It could be a murder.

Old 11-30-2021, 04:32 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Mondays are rough. People are tired of working.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:06 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,486,983 times
People have a right to take their own lives if they so wish (however tragic), but they have absolutely no right to traumatize unsuspecting bystanders in so public of a space in so violent a way.

I'll never forget hearing the sound of a body getting rammed by an oncoming subway car one morning while waiting at my station to go to work. I didn't see it happen, but clearly heard it, and just that sound is as clear now, 4 1/2 years later, as if was the minute it happened.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:38 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,930,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
People have a right to take their own lives if they so wish (however tragic), but they have absolutely no right to traumatize unsuspecting bystanders in so public of a space in so violent a way.

I'll never forget hearing the sound of a body getting rammed by an oncoming subway car one morning while waiting at my station to go to work. I didn't see it happen, but clearly heard it, and just that sound is as clear now, 4 1/2 years later, as if was the minute it happened.
I suppose its a final FU to the world before they move on to the next planet. But yes I agree.
He could have landed on someone else. That happened in few weeks ago in Westchester I believe.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:25 AM

1,057 posts, read 541,921 times
The weird thing was him taking his personal effects with him in a backpack.

Old 11-30-2021, 07:35 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Happens all the time, it's almost never reported. This time the guy made a "splash" in front of a lot of people so it made the news

Old 11-30-2021, 10:35 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
My goodness. Is life really *that* bad?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:00 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I think you have to have a certain personality. All people get depressed, sometimes extremely so and unbelievably sad and despondent. But not everybody who gets there thinks the way out is to end it all. I've had my share of depressions throughout the years but have never ever considered ending it as a way out. Like not even once ever remotely. I think I would have to be under some sort of actually excruciating pain for a very long time, and even then I'd like to think I could tough it out. If it was a permanent, terminal condition then *shrug* I don't know, anything is possible

Old 11-30-2021, 12:38 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
You never know other people's mental state and condition. Chronic depression/suicidal thoughts is also a thing, sometimes medically induced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: