Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2021, 03:58 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times

Advertisements

Not exactly the most convenient location, but it will be the only UES Trader Joe's so will do well.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-week/3419028/

Overheard crowd that regularly dumpster dives at an upscale store in my area eagerly awaiting a new stomping ground.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 05:13 PM

34,043 posts, read 47,260,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Not exactly the most convenient location, but it will be the only UES Trader Joe's so will do well.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...-week/3419028/

Overheard crowd that regularly dumpster dives at an upscale store in my area eagerly awaiting a new stomping ground.
Meh. The dumpster divers live in Manhattan so we're supposed to feel sorry for them by default

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-30-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Meh. The dumpster divers live in Manhattan so we're supposed to feel sorry for them by default
I've told you before, not all of them do. Many travel from Brooklyn, Queens or even Bronx because pickings are better in Manhattan.

There are many "freegan" sites on internet, look them up and read what "dumpster divers" are saying.

Also in Manhattan things are far more accessible in that unlike out on Staten Island and other areas where places have actual dumpsters, in city places just throw stuff out on curb in plastic bags. Finally other areas those dumpsters/bins are in parking lots or otherwise on private property. Taking things out of bags on curb is one thing, entering private property is considered trespassing.

Old 11-30-2021, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I've told you before, not all of them do. Many travel from Brooklyn, Queens or even Bronx because pickings are better in Manhattan.

There are many "freegan" sites on internet, look them up and read what "dumpster divers" are saying.

Also in Manhattan things are far more accessible in that unlike out on Staten Island and other areas where places have actual dumpsters, in city places just throw stuff out on curb in plastic bags. Finally other areas those dumpsters/bins are in parking lots or otherwise on private property. Taking things out of bags on curb is one thing, entering private property is considered trespassing.
Noted

Old 11-30-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Noted
Walk past certain spots on daily or every day basis since is how one gets to "Q" train..

Same people are out at these spots seemingly every GD night. Glancing down they've got one, two or three of those huge Fresh Direct bags full with easily totally $100 or more worth of food.

Two, three or more rotisserie chickens, ribs, or duck at $15 - $18 a pop.

Five six or more things of sushi at $10 or so a pop.

Boxes and bags of cookies, cakes, bread and other pastries at $4-$6 a pop.

Then there is whatever else they can find like high end yoghurt, butter, produce, etc..

It adds up to several hundred of free food per week.

These people are out there M-Sun rain, snow, sunshine, etc....

Old 11-30-2021, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Walk past certain spots on daily or every day basis since is how one gets to "Q" train..

Same people are out at these spots seemingly every GD night. Glancing down they've got one, two or three of those huge Fresh Direct bags full with easily totally $100 or more worth of food.

Two, three or more rotisserie chickens, ribs, or duck at $15 - $18 a pop.

Five six or more things of sushi at $10 or so a pop.

Boxes and bags of cookies, cakes, bread and other pastries at $4-$6 a pop.

Then there is whatever else they can find like high end yoghurt, butter, produce, etc..

It adds up to several hundred of free food per week.

These people are out there M-Sun rain, snow, sunshine, etc....
Wonder if they're actually eating it all

Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Wonder if they're actually eating it all
It's going somewhere, again every time walk pass this place same hard core group are lined up and waiting. WTF someone does with two, three or more whole effing rotisserie chickens, ribs and ducks over night I don't know.

Now the actual busted homeless you can tell, they stand/sit there and chow down right on spot.

Old 11-30-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
It's going somewhere, again every time walk pass this place same hard core group are lined up and waiting. WTF someone does with two, three or more whole effing rotisserie chickens, ribs and ducks over night I don't know.

Now the actual busted homeless you can tell, they stand/sit there and chow down right on spot.
Lol thats what I'm thinking

Old 11-30-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Lol thats what I'm thinking
Know someone who lives above this spot, and thus has to go pass that show on a daily basis. His view is since these people have such a sweet gig they take, take, take, knowing there will always be more.

My mother would always warn us kids about our eyes being bigger than our stomachs. We could help ourselves but to waste food is a sin. You can't tell me these people are consuming two or more Fresh Direct size bags of food in one or even two days.

Pastries I suppose get stale after a day or two, but other foods last several days in fridge.

But this speaks to something have long said on CD; plenty of people in this city are busted or near. Others are out for whatever they can get for free to ease high cost of NYC living.

As have also always said I never see Latino/Hispanics dumpster diving. Well not in front of shops anyway, trash from homes is another matter. But those I do see going through shop trash are universally white with a smattering of Asians. POC seem to be obviously homeless so will give them a pass.

These white "freegans" or whatever justify going through trash for food in that it saves them money. Fair enough I suppose, but if only way you can afford to live in NYC is by getting food from garbage, then something is obviously wrong IMHO.

Old 12-06-2021, 06:39 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
eeeeh. won’t be goin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City