Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 07:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Perhaps expand your circle. Many people dress up, also live in Manhattan.
Seriously get outta your bubble. You live in one of the most diverse cities that provides all kind of opportunities. Ya'll seriously have no idea what it's like.
In suits? outside of work? In the outer boroughs? NYC is not just Manhattan. Maybe you're the one that needs to expand.

Tell us what its like for the audience then

Convince me that wearing a suit on the train is fun

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 07:35 PM

5,678 posts, read 2,610,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
In suits? outside of work? In the outer boroughs? NYC is not just Manhattan. Maybe you're the one that needs to expand.
You're the one the said people in the city don't take the train and wear suits
I'm in the four boro's every week. On the train almost every day. I see a lot. I see people dressed up every which way. Just cause you dress street doesn't mean everyone else does.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:

Convince me that wearing a suit on the train is fun
Fun, lol. When is wearing any clothes considered fun?
But wearing a suit on the train is more comfortable then wearing a cocktail dress on the train. Both of which I wear all the time on the train.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:40 PM

Quote:
You're the one the said people in the city don't take the train and wear suits
I'm in the four boro's every week. On the train almost every day. I see a lot. I see people dressed up every which way. Just cause you dress street doesn't mean everyone else does.
They only have on suits for work purposes. Nobody enjoys riding the subway in a suit. Just because you see people doing it doesnt mean its by choice.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
But wearing a suit on the train is more comfortable then wearing a cocktail dress on the train. Both of which I wear all the time on the train.
I dont even like wearing khakis on the train

Old 12-15-2021, 06:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 547,964 times
Since a massive and expert deflection from the original post has been done:

Meanwhile, last night a 20 year old bodega worker Fadhi Moosa was shot and killed when he tried to stop a robber. Location was Flatbush and Caton Avenues in Brooklyn.

https://abc7ny.com/deli-worker-shoot...dega/11340999/

Bank of America execs warn junior staffers to ‘dress down’ as NYC crime surges
By Lydia Moynihan

December 2, 2021 | 7:38pm

Amid a surge in some New York City violent crime, Wall Street bigwigs continue to encourage younger staffers to come into the office — but to do so with caution.

At Bank of America, senior executives have quietly encouraged younger employees to “dress down” to attract less attention as they make their way to B of A’s tower at 1 Bryant Park.

These execs have told their staffers that dressing up, or wearing anything with a Bank of America logo, could make them a target. One bank employee told On The Money he is on high alert after he spotted someone with a knife near the office during a recent trek to the Manhattan workplace.

Of course, it’s not just Bank of America where worries over crime pervade. The city reported a 15 percent increase in felony assaults over the past 28 days, as of Nov. 28, when compared to the same period a year ago, according to NYPD statistics. (Murder rates have surged 42 percent over the past two years, but remained largely flat over the past year.

Wall Street is reckoning with crime as they push for a return to the office.
Corbis via Getty Images
One top executive at a large money management firm even recently began carrying a Taser as he commutes to his Midtown office, a person with direct knowledge of the matter told On The Money.

And after daylight-saving time ended last month, more people are commuting home in the dark, giving worries over crime a renewed focus.

Some B of A execs have told their staffers that dressing up, or wearing anything with a Bank of America logo, could make them a target.
AFP via Getty Images
In areas surrounding Hudson Yards, the problem has been especially acute: For commuters coming into Penn Station or the Port Authority Bus Terminal, walking the few blocks to the Far West Side after dark on largely deserted streets, except for sometimes menacing vagrants, can feel dangerous, sources told On The Money.

Bank of America is adjacent to Times Square — and like Hudson Yards, many employees use Penn Station and Port Authority as transportation hubs en route to the office.

Bank of America declined to comment for this story.

NYC crime scene
Some categories of crime have spiked higher when compared to last year. Bankers and others say that’s making them nervous when it comes to their daily commutes.
William Farrington
Some companies like Citibank are offering employees private shuttles so they can avoid public transportation altogether. And most major banks will offer employees car service if they work after hours.

It’s not just Midtown where crime has taken center stage. A Wall Street source who works downtown told On The Money “it’s been a topic of conversation on the floor frequently over the last few months.”

“Some people I work with have been accosted … I’d say it’s becoming frequent, if not common,” the source said. “There’s probably a dozen incidents that I saw, or have been involved in,” the person said — mostly verbal, but some physical, the person said.

After daylight-saving time ended last month, more people are commuting home in the dark, giving worries over crime a renewed focus.
Corbis via Getty Images
Some executives say the new state of affairs could be here to stay.

“Undoubtedly, part of getting people back to the office in NYC is about making the streets and subways safer,” Ronn Torossian, CEO of PR firm 5WPR, told On The Money. “I would venture less than 50 percent of people are back to the office full-time — and I don’t know if that ever changes in NYC.”

He said only 35 percent of his 275 employees are back at his firm’s Park Avenue headquarters, where staffers work with people in the finance and other corporate industries.

Still, some are optimistic the impending mayoral regime change could usher in a new era of safety and prosperity after the mayor-elect ran on a public safety platform.

“I’m encouraged that Eric Adams will take a hard line,” one Wall Street executive told On The Money. “But it’s almost like he can’t get here soon enough to restore law and order.”

Old 12-15-2021, 08:59 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,218,042 times
Quote:
How you doing???

Old 12-15-2021, 10:20 AM

5,823 posts, read 2,943,117 times
Curious where John would be today.
I think he would have moved away long ago, either to Midwest or back to Europe.
I’m almost certain the music would have gotten worse over time. Not that it was ever great to start with, but as an 8 year old I used to like them and it was an introduction into the music world for me back then.
I quickly moved on to Pink Floyd and heavier stuff and never looked back.
Anyhow. He was a dreamer, made lots of people happy. That’s more than any politician can say, or a pope for that matter.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:08 AM

Quote:
They only have on suits for work purposes. Nobody enjoys riding the subway in a suit. Just because you see people doing it doesnt mean its by choice.
Ummm plenty of people choose to wear a suit to work and for personal. Men I know where a suit to work daily even though it's not required. Also know men that always dress up for dinners out in a suit. Broaden your circle you. And don't speak for all people in NYC.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Ummm plenty of people choose to wear a suit to work and for personal. Men I know where a suit to work daily even though it's not required. Also know men that always dress up for dinners out in a suit. Broaden your circle you. And don't speak for all people in NYC.
What's up with the personal comments? You'd swear I never had a job or had a degree. You know what, keep it that way. And I stand by what I say - suits on the subway suck. Subway's filthy.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City