Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2021, 08:49 AM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
New York City has some of if not the oldest housing stock in USA. Many commercial and industrial buildings aren't far behind.

In all instances you have buildings with same GD heating plant as when place was designed and built.

Boiler for hot water or steam heating were lowered into basements soon as foundations were complete, and building went up around. Piping, heat emitting units, etc... were all built up and around as building went up. Large number of boilers once burned coal, but since were converted to oil or dual fuel (oil and gas). This or for buildings that went up say after 1950's they largely burn oil because it was cheaper than gas.

In many instances you cannot even get old boiler out of building to replace for a host of reasons. So any replacement goes in along side...

No one is going to take a perfectly functioning boiler out of service and replace with new just because Bloomberg and successive mayors have a hair across their a$$ about emissions. They will replace boiler when it fails, or if various incentives make it worth the bother.

Other bits? Older buildings have windows that actually open fully. That's something else in city's cross hairs....

I'd much rather live in a building with steam or hot water heat, and windows that open than some "A" rated place sealed like a tomb with constant recirculating of interior air.
Yea…no destroy all old buildings. The 1930s were almost 100 years ago. Time to move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 10:12 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Yea…no destroy all old buildings. The 1930s were almost 100 years ago. Time to move on!
I've got news for you, those pre war buildings often are better constructed than much of the garbage going up nowadays.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:50 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
I've got news for you, those pre war buildings often are better constructed than much of the garbage going up nowadays.
Yep! You betcha.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:16 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Our building is 96 years old.
I saw that we have a "B" rating posted in the lobby.

What do they expect about this Green BS, the buildings are old and were made tot he codes and specifications of the day (back then)
How do they think all of a sudden all these buildings can be green or more energy efficient.

We already have the new windows, which are garbage as they are vinyl and a lot of them have the condensation in between the glass, so they were crap, luckily mine don't, and they did replace my kitchen window several years ago with an aluminum one as opposed to the vinyl, as mine was actually falling apart... the bronze aluminum is a much better window though.

I dont know if plaster and lathe walls have any insulation between them and the bricks from the outside, my guess would be no.

We do have steam heat, and that about the best heat you can have.

Its like what more do they want LL's to do, it is always something.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:19 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Quote:

Yes!!, Thank you.

I hate all these new buildings where the kitchen is in the corner of the living room with almost no where to ever put a table and 4 chairs, and the windows usually only open a few inches and never have screens and are impossible to clean the outside from the inside.
Our windows tilt in to clean easily and we have screens.

Id rather a pre-war building any day as opposed to the crap they build today.
Personally, I don.t give a rats azzz if the building is green or not.

Old 12-08-2021, 02:12 PM

34,017 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Our building is 96 years old.
I saw that we have a "B" rating posted in the lobby.

What do they expect about this Green BS, the buildings are old and were made tot he codes and specifications of the day (back then)
How do they think all of a sudden all these buildings can be green or more energy efficient.

We already have the new windows, which are garbage as they are vinyl and a lot of them have the condensation in between the glass, so they were crap, luckily mine don't, and they did replace my kitchen window several years ago with an aluminum one as opposed to the vinyl, as mine was actually falling apart... the bronze aluminum is a much better window though.

I dont know if plaster and lathe walls have any insulation between them and the bricks from the outside, my guess would be no.

We do have steam heat, and that about the best heat you can have.

Its like what more do they want LL's to do, it is always something.
I agree, they should be torn down and new modern housing should take its place

But nahh, let the small LLs keep renting out their 60 year old properties, God bless em

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-09-2021, 08:15 PM

593 posts, read 470,165 times
It's hotter than hell in my building. I have to blast the A/C in the summer and open the window and run the fan in the winter to cool this place down.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:53 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
In your fantasy world, how will this get done in a place like NYC where the cost of installing a porta potty is a week's work?

Old 12-13-2021, 10:19 AM

5,662 posts, read 2,602,511 times
My building doesn't have anything posted

Old 12-13-2021, 10:27 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
New York City has some of if not the oldest housing stock in USA. Many commercial and industrial buildings aren't far behind.

In all instances you have buildings with same GD heating plant as when place was designed and built.

Boiler for hot water or steam heating were lowered into basements soon as foundations were complete, and building went up around. Piping, heat emitting units, etc... were all built up and around as building went up. Large number of boilers once burned coal, but since were converted to oil or dual fuel (oil and gas). This or for buildings that went up say after 1950's they largely burn oil because it was cheaper than gas.

In many instances you cannot even get old boiler out of building to replace for a host of reasons. So any replacement goes in along side...

No one is going to take a perfectly functioning boiler out of service and replace with new just because Bloomberg and successive mayors have a hair across their a$$ about emissions. They will replace boiler when it fails, or if various incentives make it worth the bother.

Other bits? Older buildings have windows that actually open fully. That's something else in city's cross hairs....

I'd much rather live in a building with steam or hot water heat, and windows that open than some "A" rated place sealed like a tomb with constant recirculating of interior air.
I'm still trying to understand why someone would expect a 100 year old building to meet today's standards for almost anything if it's not been rebuilt or upgraded for decades (or even in the last 10 years).

We have the same type of thinking here in Maryland so it's not New York specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: