Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 04:03 PM

8,943 posts, read 4,812,479 times

Advertisements

How Junior's Cheesecake Is Handling The Great Cream Cheese Crisis Of 2021

https://gothamist.com/food/nyc-cream...ntent=20211210

It sounded like a schmear campaign at first, but the crisis is real: a major cream cheese shortage has hit New York City bagel stores. Some of our finest bagel purveyors—Absolute Bagels, Tompkins Square Bagels, Pick-a-Bagel, Bagelsmith, Zabar's and more—all attested to the fact that they were "frazzled, frustrated and rushing to find cream cheese" after supply chain issues—caused by work shortages, port congestion and increased demand—had ensnared the industry.

But it's not just your local bagel shop: Junior's Restaurants announced that they had to shut down multiple times over the last week because they didn't have enough of the ingredient, which is the key to making their beloved cheesecakes.

Gothamist spoke to Alan Rosen, the third-generation owner of Junior's, on Thursday evening to find out how the cream cheese shortage is affecting their business, and whether or not New Yorkers jonesin' for some holiday cheesecake should be freaking out right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 04:07 PM

34,217 posts, read 47,533,310 times
Oh no

Juniors?? One of my favorites?

Ok I'm concerned now.

We're doomed.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-10-2021, 08:10 PM
46H

1,658 posts, read 1,414,679 times
There was a cyber attack on a major cream cheese producer.

"Schreiber Foods in Wisconsin, which makes cheese slices for most of the top burger chains in America and has a cream cheese business rivaling Kraft’s, closed for days in October after hackers compromised its plants and distribution centers. While that may not sound like a long time, the company is big enough that the lost production shook U.S. markets."
https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/that-cre...part-1.1693693

Old 12-11-2021, 12:57 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,571,230 times
Throughout the run of this thread, I've had no problem getting cream cheese, either on my bagel from the local bagel shop, or from the supermarket in bar form. So I'm a little skeptical.

Old 12-11-2021, 01:16 PM

107,181 posts, read 109,534,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Throughout the run of this thread, I've had no problem getting cream cheese, either on my bagel from the local bagel shop, or from the supermarket in bar form. So I'm a little skeptical.
it is the big commercial pails where there are problems

Old 12-11-2021, 03:58 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,571,230 times
I think that would impact the bagel shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it is the big commercial pails where there are problems

Old 12-12-2021, 03:39 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Chip shortage? OK
Used car shortage? I'm not looking for a car right now so OK
X-Box and PlayStation shortage? Grrrr, Christmas problem but OK
Lumber shortage? I already have a house so OK

Cream cheese shortage? Oh no - it's not fun or funny any more. These shortages are really serious now!
Many don't own a house.. This is a city of renters. Every time I go to home depot now there are so many items out of stock. This translates to a delay in building new homes and delays in repair and renovations. Higher prices for everyone.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Not false at all. This isn't demand pull inflation. This is the equivalent to letting people loot a store and calling it "demand".

If you don't think that literally expanding money supply ~50% of GDP in a single year leads to wild imbalances in an already hot economy, then I'm sorry, you're a fool.

Are there other factors leading to labor shortages, supply shortages, etc? Sure. But that's as a result of the aforementioned policies.

I know what you're reading /who you're listening too. I also have a master's in finance (not that degrees mean anything ) and I also listen to all of the podcasts and read all of the blogs,etc, etc.

If you don't think that injecting retarded amounts of hard cash and expanding the money supply so drastically in such a short time (during what was already an economy running hot in stupid low rates) had a significant impact on the economy, then you're a fool.

Your company having 30 open job opportunities means nothing in and if itself. Better.com.j ust laid off 900 on a zoom call. What am I supposed to take from that? Due to the higher JOLTS (quit rate), companies are now posting job openings in anticipation of higher turnover. How many of those job openings are legitimate?

The free money made things worse. I remember going to Burlington Coat Factory in the high of the pandemic to buy socks. The store racks were EMPTY! I thought that they were going out of business. I asked the store clerk as I didn't see signs saying they were going out of business. She said people were buying up everything with their stimulus checks.

I was going to buy a new car. I bought my car 10 years ago and it needed some work that was costing $4000. When I enquired about the price of used cars and the shortage of available cars I was told that cars were flying off the shelves!! All this free money floating around.

Needless to say I negotiated a discount and fixed my car. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off. Everything is scarce or super expensive.

Old 12-13-2021, 03:12 AM

107,181 posts, read 109,534,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEROFNYC View Post
The free money made things worse. I remember going to Burlington Coat Factory in the high of the pandemic to buy socks. The store racks were EMPTY! I thought that they were going out of business. I asked the store clerk as I didn't see signs saying they were going out of business. She said people were buying up everything with their stimulus checks.

I was going to buy a new car. I bought my car 10 years ago and it needed some work that was costing $4000. When I enquired about the price of used cars and the shortage of available cars I was told that cars were flying off the shelves!! All this free money floating around.

Needless to say I negotiated a discount and fixed my car. I am going to drive it until the wheels fall off. Everything is scarce or super expensive.
actually people tended to spend only 40% of their stimulus checks on new items …30% was saved and 30% went to pay down old debt.. so 60% of the dough never went in to buying anything new.

overall ,out of all the stimulus money allocated for all the different reasons , 2 trillion of it still has not been given out

https://www.nber.org/digest/oct20/mo...r-applied-debt

Old 12-15-2021, 08:05 PM

19,105 posts, read 12,801,765 times
Kraft offers customers $20 not to make cheesecake for Christmas
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-for-christmas

Kraft is offering customers a little extra cheddar to dissuade them from baking cheesecakes this year for Christmas dessert.

Kraft Heinz, the parent company for Philadelphia Cream Cheese, announced a "Spread the Feeling " marketing campaign on Wednesday meant to address cream cheese shortages across the nation, offering a select number of customers $20 not to use cream cheese in their desserts this holiday season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: