Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2021, 07:59 AM

30,676 posts, read 18,301,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
It's pretty simple, blue cities and states will implode and business will move to thriving red states and cities. Maybe in 30-50 years some of the blue haired people's grand children (if they haven't been aborted) will look around at the smoldering piles and ask, "Maybe there's a better way????"
Doubtful. They’ll (leftists) continue to flee failing blue cities to move to less expensive and thriving red cities and states, bringing their same leftist voting patterns with them, only to begin the destruction anew. They are like locusts in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2021, 09:08 AM

1,913 posts, read 743,732 times
See this is how stupid they are. Networking to find candidates just gets bigger.

Old 12-17-2021, 09:11 AM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
They're simply trying to get the best employee for the lowest price, that's not negotiating to me
But you just provided a direct example of the definition of negotiation.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-17-2021, 10:15 AM

621 posts, read 241,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniess View Post
The business is seeking to pay for someone's service

when you hire someone to do a task, you usually ask what they charge. Do you tell your plumber i'll give you XXX before asking them how much they charge to do something?

when you want to pay for an accountant or a doctor, does the customer initiate and say "before i even ask you what you'll charge, i'll give you $5000 /hour for your services."?

I think you're referring to a client-customer relationship and not an employer-employee relationship. Normally with the latter, the employer specifies how much they will pay the prospect to become an employee. If I'm running a restaurant, I put out an add for a dishwasher paying $15/hr. I don't just say I'm hiring dishwashers. I suppose it depends on the industry too. A job opening at Google doesn't normally say "Software Engineer for $180k". The prospect has to pass interviews and is sometimes asked about their pay requirements. But generally, the employer (e.g., Google) will say, "You're hired and we'lre paying $150k".

I find it abnormal and unreasonable, for a prospect to say, "I'm applying for your job opening, how much are you paying me?" That said, I don't support any mandate to publish min/max salaries. Leave it up to the employer how they wish to present salary.

Old 12-17-2021, 10:39 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,025 times
Great idea imo

Old 12-17-2021, 02:56 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
But you just provided a direct example of the definition of negotiation.
It's only negotiation when the applicant has a chance to counter the employer's offer

If the employer is asking the applicant to "name their price" so to speak, the applicant is basically being backed into a corner. Not posting salary is a waste of everyone's time involved. You just bought a house - it's like looking at the listing and seeing no price.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2021, 03:03 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,318,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
It's really not negotiating when the employer has an idea of what they already want to pay though

They're simply trying to get the best employee for the lowest price, that's not negotiating to me
So do I because I know what my budget is. Everyone has a budget technically speaking.

Old 12-17-2021, 03:04 PM

2,332 posts, read 1,038,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownpine View Post
I think you're referring to a client-customer relationship and not an employer-employee relationship. Normally with the latter, the employer specifies how much they will pay the prospect to become an employee. If I'm running a restaurant, I put out an add for a dishwasher paying $15/hr. I don't just say I'm hiring dishwashers. I suppose it depends on the industry too. A job opening at Google doesn't normally say "Software Engineer for $180k". The prospect has to pass interviews and is sometimes asked about their pay requirements. But generally, the employer (e.g., Google) will say, "You're hired and we'lre paying $150k".

I find it abnormal and unreasonable, for a prospect to say, "I'm applying for your job opening, how much are you paying me?" That said, I don't support any mandate to publish min/max salaries. Leave it up to the employer how they wish to present salary.
Your example only applies if there is an equal sharing of ground for salary data. Here, the employers usually hold all the cards. The job applicants are left in the dark.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:52 PM

34,135 posts, read 47,370,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
So do I because I know what my budget is. Everyone has a budget technically speaking.
Imagine you're looking to buy a house, you see one you like, you click on the listing and it says call us for the price

Lol

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-17-2021, 06:04 PM

19,072 posts, read 14,006,551 times
The simple solution to this latest government overreach is:

Help wanted: 40hrs wk, 8-4, $35,000-$35,001

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City