Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2021, 05:24 PM

8,945 posts, read 4,813,658 times

Advertisements

I only know a handful of these people (Celia Cruz, Hector Macho Camacho, Eric Garner).
Anyway, interesting article detailing the process of naming a street after someone or something.

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...-names-in-2021

There are about 8,000 miles of streets criss-crossing New York City, and in its last vote of 2021, the City Council voted to rename or co-name 199 of them. But that doesn’t mean your map app is about to get a big upgrade: most only cover a block or a corner, and the process is often seen as a small way to memorialize a person or honor an institution, historical event, longtime business, or a community with a connection to the place.

To get a street renamed, you have to start with the bottom rung of the city’s bureaucracy: the community board. Each one has their own twists and variations to the process, but when it comes to renaming streets after people specifically, there are a couple of hard and fast rules.

“It has to be someone who's deceased, unfortunately, and they had to make some considerable contribution to the community,” said Queens Community Board 9 district manager James McClelland.

There are a couple of other considerations as well: for instance, at least 50 percent of people living on the block must sign a petition in favor of the renaming, and the location should have some personal or historical significance to the proposed name. If the community board is convinced, they can then propose the change to the local city councilmember, and from there, the legislative process takes over as with any other bill. It has to go through the Parks and Recreation Committee, pass a full council vote, and finally be signed by the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2021, 05:58 PM

30,746 posts, read 18,427,857 times
As usual--and I guess I'm thankful for it--these streets are being named in a way to give folks an indication of where not to live.

Old 12-29-2021, 06:09 PM

15,644 posts, read 15,782,178 times
Ugh. I hate this.

Have the time it's to "honor" some hapless victim whose name no one knows a decade later.

Old 12-29-2021, 07:41 PM

7,910 posts, read 7,959,709 times
I hate this. leave well enough alone. who told u to change sh**?

Old 01-04-2022, 12:23 AM

16,219 posts, read 6,966,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
I only know a handful of these people (Celia Cruz, Hector Macho Camacho, Eric Garner).
Anyway, interesting article detailing the process of naming a street after someone or something.

https://gothamist.com/arts-entertain...-names-in-2021

There are about 8,000 miles of streets criss-crossing New York City, and in its last vote of 2021, the City Council voted to rename or co-name 199 of them. But that doesn’t mean your map app is about to get a big upgrade: most only cover a block or a corner, and the process is often seen as a small way to memorialize a person or honor an institution, historical event, longtime business, or a community with a connection to the place.

To get a street renamed, you have to start with the bottom rung of the city’s bureaucracy: the community board. Each one has their own twists and variations to the process, but when it comes to renaming streets after people specifically, there are a couple of hard and fast rules.

“It has to be someone who's deceased, unfortunately, and they had to make some considerable contribution to the community,” said Queens Community Board 9 district manager James McClelland.

There are a couple of other considerations as well: for instance, at least 50 percent of people living on the block must sign a petition in favor of the renaming, and the location should have some personal or historical significance to the proposed name. If the community board is convinced, they can then propose the change to the local city councilmember, and from there, the legislative process takes over as with any other bill. It has to go through the Parks and Recreation Committee, pass a full council vote, and finally be signed by the mayor.

Correct me if I'm wrong......
once finally signed by mayor and street sign is installed alongside
the original street name ( 2 signs ) deceased name has a shelf life
of only 3-5 years. Then it is removed leaving original street name intact.

Now if some other person of merit passes the cycle is repeated...

Old 01-04-2022, 11:13 AM

6,702 posts, read 6,096,823 times
Imagine putting it on the GPS: "Take me to Hector Camacho way"
On 22nd, turn left and continue up north!"

Old 01-04-2022, 11:35 AM

12,200 posts, read 7,273,393 times
This says, if you lead a life of crime and failure like Eric Garner, then you too can be honored by NYC with a street named after you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City