Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 11:23 AM

13 posts, read 7,922 times

Advertisements

The person I rented a room to a few years ago who has not paid rent in over a year told me that he needs a mailbox key to get his mail, that based on my actions whatever that means. He said if I do not provide him with a copy of the mailbox key he will contact building management to see what they can do but I know he means "If you don't give me a key to the mailbox I'll rat you out for overcharging me rent) - Is this a form of blackmail? Isn't this illegal? If he did contact building management would they even listen to him? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 11:39 AM

5,805 posts, read 2,934,065 times
Why is he still there when he didn’t pay rent.

Throw all his crap out and change locks when he is gone. File a restraint.

Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,236,582 times
Is this a sublet, and is it allowed in your lease?

Old 01-19-2022, 11:42 AM

He applied for rent relief and presented me with the notice from the city that his application is under review, I was ready to go to court yesterday when the moratorium expired. He also has me in a bind because he called the cops on me when I had the super turn off his electricity, and he says he can get body cam footage from one of the cops to prove it. (I dont think he can, I think he's bluffing)

Old 01-19-2022, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Is this a sublet, and is it allowed in your lease?

I live 2 blocks away, I've lived in the apartment since 1970, it was my mothers. No no permission from the building owners. Please don't lecture me

Old 01-19-2022, 01:47 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RForster View Post
I live 2 blocks away, I've lived in the apartment since 1970, it was my mothers. No no permission from the building owners. Please don't lecture me
You reap what you sow. (as your mother would have undoubtedly told you).

Old 01-19-2022, 02:11 PM

2,330 posts, read 1,027,743 times
Let us know when you decide to vote R instead of D.

Old 01-19-2022, 02:29 PM

686 posts, read 300,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Why is he still there when he didn’t pay rent.

Throw all his crap out and change locks when he is gone. File a restraint.
------------

It does not work like this! And if he is a sub-tenant he has the right to a mailbox key.
You said he rented only a room, does he pay rent for the whole mama's apartment?

Old 01-19-2022, 02:55 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,726,308 times
Oh, Republicans are in favor of people violating the terms of their leases now? Interesting.

I'm afraid he has you over something of a barrel. DO NOT throw his stuff in the street. That IS illegal and you WILL get in trouble for it. If you want to try to delay the crisis, make a practice of opening the mailbox yourself and sticking the mail under the door. But if you want him out, if you end up having to evict him, unless the super spends all day in an alcoholic stupor they're going to notice when the marshals come!

Old 01-19-2022, 03:03 PM

1,464 posts, read 756,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RForster View Post
He applied for rent relief and presented me with the notice from the city that his application is under review, I was ready to go to court yesterday when the moratorium expired. He also has me in a bind because he called the cops on me when I had the super turn off his electricity, and he says he can get body cam footage from one of the cops to prove it. (I dont think he can, I think he's bluffing)
Foil request on nypd website says they will release it. They retain it for 18 months based on a quick google search on their website.

Based on your posts this has been going on since 2019. There is much more to this I am sure.

Why haven’t you tried to go through landlord tenant court ?

You mentioned emotional damage for a lawsuit claim last time. Now it’s blackmail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City