Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 03:36 PM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...trend/2265248/

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I don't recall the city ordering businesses to accept cash. If they did, then one wonders whether there is a disparity between who has a debit card and who doesn't. My understanding was that during the height of the pandemic, it was the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 03:48 PM

1,569 posts, read 798,605 times
They fined business’s for not taking cash. Robertas pizza was one of them. The argument was covid vs access to banking. They actually had to pay fines for not taking cash payments.

Science would say limit touching cash and coin. City didn’t choose science.

Edit here’s the article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ting-cash/amp/

It was brought up as a concern ironically....

“ And cash-free means some peace of mind for workers worried about the next smash and grab robbery.”

Imagine a manhattan business being fined for these things as minor or major as they may be. But robbing the restaurant at gun point in Manhattan you get charged with petit larceny.

Family should sue the city for this law. Worth a shot.

Old 01-11-2022, 04:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,695,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
They fined business’s for not taking cash. Robertas pizza was one of them. The argument was covid vs access to banking. They actually had to pay fines for not taking cash payments.

Science would say limit touching cash and coin. City didn’t choose science.

Edit here’s the article

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....ting-cash/amp/

It was brought up as a concern ironically....

“ And cash-free means some peace of mind for workers worried about the next smash and grab robbery.”

Imagine a manhattan business being fined for these things as minor or major as they may be. But robbing the restaurant at gun point in Manhattan you get charged with petit larceny.

Family should sue the city for this law. Worth a shot.
I'm for science, too. But when lower incomes don't have full access to cards, that's a problem that has to be solved!

Old 01-11-2022, 04:23 PM

1,569 posts, read 798,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
I'm for science, too. But when lower incomes don't have full access to cards, that's a problem that has to be solved!
I agree. I feel bad for the minimum wage worker getting exposed to covid possibility multiple times a day because they have to take cash. It’s tough. If no cash was held at this business this girl wouldn’t have been murdered.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:51 AM

15,883 posts, read 14,573,038 times
Just think how much harder and/or easier to solve/prosecute most crimes would be if there was no cash.

Old 01-12-2022, 10:18 AM

1,064 posts, read 557,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
All murders are tragic but a bodega isn’t the same as a Burger King restaurant. It’s expected that a large national franchise store like Burger King won’t be the scene of a fatal robbery where a 19 year old female cashier gets murdered. Unfortunately that does happen once in awhile in a bodega probably because they are smaller with fewer customers and in lower income neighborhoods. It’s easy for a thief to walk into an empty bodega with one employee and rob the place. A large Burger King or McDonald’s location with a lot of employees and customers gives a sense of safety which may now no longer be warranted. The large fast food places get some of the blame though with many of them tolerating homeless people around the place and panhandling in the restaurant. I don’t know the situation at this location but I used to see homeless people sleeping in McDonald’s before covid.
Guess you never heard Curtis Sliwa talking about how he got his start managing a McDonalds in the Bronx.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:42 AM

7,911 posts, read 7,959,709 times
I think the murderer is a disgruntled former employee

Old 01-12-2022, 12:07 PM

5,908 posts, read 3,032,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
It is possible the spray on smoke flavor used in BK has shifted gears in his brain.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:08 PM

8,154 posts, read 7,541,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94nasupra View Post
... If no cash was held at this business this girl wouldn’t have been murdered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Just think how much harder and/or easier to solve/prosecute most crimes would be if there was no cash.
According to the article, she gave the killer $100 cash out of the drawer. That's hardly the definition of a Big Score for anyone.

And BTW, if the murderer hadn't shot her for no reason, she would still be alive. Let's remember that.

Old 01-12-2022, 12:09 PM

8,154 posts, read 7,541,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
Could be. The killer in the Wendy's Massacre in 2000 was a former employee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: