Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2022, 01:59 PM

5,466 posts, read 5,733,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They. See no more subsidized then any homeowner who writes off his mortgage and real estate taxes or for. That matter his kids
True, those are subsidies as well, but those are on the federal level. I personally think SALT deductions should be completely eliminated. They incentivize states to raise their local taxes.
Quote:
Programs that allow one to keep more of their own money by cutting expenses or taxes are not subsidized in the sense of gene real funds being given away .
False. If you want to allow people to keep more of their own money you'd have to decrease the base tax rates for everyone. All other schemes are tax subsidies that intentionally distort the market.
Quote:
In fact our whole tax system is based on your fair share of taxes is the lowest amount you can get them to using the tools , laws and programs available to you.
Our tax system is very inefficient, bureaucratic, and just frankly it sucks, and causes huge inefficiencies and even bubbles in the markets. Most other capitalist nations have much more transparent, more efficient, and less bureaucratic tax systems. It needs to be radically simplified.

Last edited by Gantz; 01-12-2022 at 02:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2022, 02:06 PM

107,059 posts, read 109,362,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
True, those are subsidies as well, but those are on the federal level. I personally think SALT deductions should be completely eliminated. They incentivize states to raise their local taxes.

False. If you want to allow people to keep more of their own money you'd have to decrease the base tax rates for everyone. All other schemes are tax subsidies that intentionally distort the market.

Our tax system is very inefficient, bureaucratic, and just frankly it sucks. Most other capitalist nations have much more transparent, more efficient, and less bureaucratic tax systems.
The tax system is what it is ….so then everyone who writes off anything Unique to them is subsidized in your eyes

That goes for every business that gets a tax perk or credit for taking part in a program to encourage them to do something or to attract a business .

GOT IT

Old 01-12-2022, 02:10 PM

Quote:
The tax system is what it is ….so then everyone who writes off anything Unique to them is subsidized in your eyes

That goes for every business that gets a tax perk or credit for taking part in a program to encourage them to do something or to attract a business .

GOT IT
Its not just in my eyes. I am using a definition of subsidy that is literally in all beginner business textbooks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_expenditure
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subsidy#Tax_subsidy
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/subsidy.asp

Old 01-12-2022, 02:13 PM

Like i said , there is nothing that can’t be considered subsidized if it is something a particular business or person gets that others may not qualify for by your view .

If that is what you want to run with , go ahead but then you have to apply it across the board to all your own write offs , rebates and tax credits.

In fact your credit card points if you get them are a subsidy since others who don’t get points pay higher prices so stores can cover credit card costs for those who do

Old 01-12-2022, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Like i said , there is nothing that can’t be considered subsidized if it is something a particular business or person gets that others may not qualify for by your view .

If that is what you want to run with , go ahead but then you have to apply it across the board to all your own write offs , rebates and tax credits
I do apply it across the board. Like I said, things like SALT, child tax credit, green tax credits, farm tax credits, etc. are all subsidies.
Quote:
In fact your credit card points if you get them are a subsidy since others who don’t get points pay higher prices so stores can cover credit card costs for those who do
Those are private company's decisions on how they want to structure their business. Some credit cards offer no rewards points but offer lower fees, some cards you have to pay a subscription for, but you get more perks, etc. The main difference is that they are not government owned and administered and you have a choice and can even opt out completely. Similarly, I have no issue if a landlord wants to rent out an apartment to their friend for free. It is their business what they want to do with their property. It is not a government subsidy in my eyes, and I don't have to pay for it out of my pocket. But I DO have an issue if the government comes in and rents out apartments for free, because this subsidy is now coming out of my pocket. I do not have a choice to opt out of paying property taxes.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I do apply it across the board. Like I said, things like SALT, child tax credit, green tax credits, farm tax credits, etc. are all subsidies.
Well call it what you want but I want all the subsidies then that I am entitled to as everyone else is taking tax payer money if that is your view .

I on the other hand view at as using the laws , tools and programs left in place to be used so I can get my fair share of taxes as low as I can get them thereby keeping more of what I earned

Old 01-12-2022, 02:21 PM

1,731 posts, read 1,075,091 times
Quote:
But the rent subsidy is at the expense of the landowner/landlord because his rental business is restricted by the government. At least with the section 8 the landlord can charge market rent. Federal deductions are not the same.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Well call it what you want but I want all the subsidies then that I am entitled to as everyone else is taking tax payer money if that is your view .

I on the other hand view at as using the laws , tools and programs left in place to be used so I can get my fair share of taxes as low as I can get them thereby keeping more of what I earned
If you eliminate those subsidies your tax burden would be lower as well. Of course everyone does everything within their legal means to take advantage of the system, but that does not mean that the system is good, and you don't have to defend it just because you are rationally forced to participate in it. Especially when it comes to things like local laws and subsidies that can in theory be changed, reduced, or eliminated.

Old 01-12-2022, 02:27 PM

I don’t dwell or plan around what I can’t control …I play the cards I am dealt as best as I can …..I work with what they give me to work with and I try to keep more of WHAT I EARNED using every thing I can use or take advantage of qualifying for .

I don’t make the rules but I certainly can play by them as best as I can

Old 01-12-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
I don’t dwell or plan around what I can’t control …I play the cards I am dealt as best as I can …..I work with what they give me to work with
I can run and chew gum at the same time. I work with what I have and use the system to my advantage like everyone, but also recognize and advocate for improvement for the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City