Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 12:11 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,150,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Apartments.com and Zillow are legit websites to shop for apartments. Just be very skeptical of Craigslist Ads and Ads from other 3rd party websites like Facebook Marketplace. I am not saying ALL ads on other websites are scams, but just be careful. Do NOT leave any deposits without a receipt or keys for the apartment. Manhattan rentals are ridiculously high, but she may find a bargain in Harlem, Wash Heights, or even Chinatown. If you post some examples of ads your daughter has been considering, perhaps folks on here can help determine how legit they are. If it is too good to be true, it normally is.

I strongly recommend against Harlem or Washington Heights for your daughter for reasons of personal safety. Chinatown is o.k. but a very crowded area. Do you have any friends or relatives in the NYC area that could point out the good areas and the bad areas?

A little different than your situation but I met a 20-something yesterday at a friends coffee shop who is now living in Brooklyn. He grew up on S.I. and was visiting friends and family here. He wanted to live in trendy Brooklyn but knew nothing about Brooklyn neighborhoods. He ended up renting an apartment in East Flatbush near New York Avenue & Church Avenue. He cannot wait to get out of that neighborhood. As a white person he has been made to feel very unwelcome there including being threatened. His girlfriend (also S.I. born) was robbed twice on the street within the space of a few months. They are now looking to move to someplace normal like Bay Ridge or Sheepshead Bay. And BTW this guy gave up on keeping a car in East Flatbush because it was broken into 3 times in 2 years. Now he has call an Uber whenever he visits S.I. Oh but the diversity of East Flatbush!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 12:28 PM

5,665 posts, read 2,606,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
(Also, ignore the haters so deep in their own hell they can't imagine family members naturally helping each other out.)
Hey was just nicely trying to help the OP. This city will suck people up and spit them out. You need to have independence and a back bone to survive. If her daughter comes here and is used to others doing things she will be in for a rude awaking. Truth is the truth.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaya97 View Post
respectfully you do not know my daughter and I see nothing wrong with looking for her while she is in meetings today.
Never said you did anything wrong. Simply offering advice. Sometimes letting the baby bird fly is the best. But you do as you please.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
I agree and I think the moderators need to do a better job removing those rude posts by 90sSitcom
Nothing's rude about my advice.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:57 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,695,930 times
Thank you for letting us know the location of your daughter's job. Like in SoCal, where having access to the freeway that will provide the most direct route, NYC is similar. She doesn't have to live in Manhattan where rents are usually the most expensive and you get less bang for your buck. In fact, living in northern Manhattan can take more time than living in parts of Brooklyn or NJ. Look at apartments in Brooklyn and Hoboken, Jersey City, near the path train. Avoid the Bronx since the commute will take too long. She can also live in western Nassau County along one of the LIRR train lines that stop at Atlantic terminal.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:01 PM

268 posts, read 357,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Thank you for letting us know the location of your daughter's job. Like in SoCal, where having access to the freeway that will provide the most direct route, NYC is similar. She doesn't have to live in Manhattan where rents are usually the most expensive and you get less bang for your buck. In fact, living in northern Manhattan can take more time than living in parts of Brooklyn or NJ. Look at apartments in Brooklyn and Hoboken, Jersey City, near the path train. Avoid the Bronx since the commute will take too long. She can also live in western Nassau County along one of the LIRR train lines that stop at Atlantic terminal.
Thank you!

Old 01-14-2022, 01:08 PM

268 posts, read 357,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sSitcom View Post
Never said you did anything wrong. Simply offering advice. Sometimes letting the baby bird fly is the best. But you do as you please.
One last time: She has been independent for years. If she was able to handle living (and driving) in downtown LA, living in Prague and not speaking the language, and got by the subzero winters of Montreal, I am not worried!

As she is in meetings today and I am off, and knows that I am active on City-Data, she asked if I could get some advice -thoughts (that I have gotten thanks to some great responses). Have a nice day!

Old 01-14-2022, 01:29 PM

5,808 posts, read 2,936,362 times
Why would anyone want to move here. Turn on the news for gods sake.

How is it possible to live in a 250sf room ? Do people don’t have any dignity left no more ?

Old 01-14-2022, 02:00 PM

3,132 posts, read 2,727,396 times
"I strongly recommend against Harlem or Washington Heights for your daughter for reasons of personal safety."

Have you lived there since the turn of the century? I have. And I'm white. No one gave me any problems because I know how to act like a respectful neighbor who minds her own business.

All these people just telling on themselves...

Old 01-14-2022, 02:08 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,746,310 times
I used to live in this building, it had part-time doorman, good location, walk to Central Park, there are listings for rent and sale.

https://streeteasy.com/building/160-...et-new_york/7g
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City