Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 10:26 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,028,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephbobersonjr View Post
I have a car lease expiring soon so I’m just letting it run out. It’s actually perfect timing. Definitely will not be having a car in the city
Oh that's good. I know CT has a vehicle property tax too. We don't have that here but at least it is one more thing you don't have to worry about. If you don't think that you are currently paying the tax you are - it is just built into the lease fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 11:08 AM

1,250 posts, read 678,074 times
Quote:
Dude I'm not going to be doing full band rehearsals in my apartment. When we rehearse with our drummer we go to a dedicated paid rehearsal space like Rivington. If I practice on my own I use headphones.
How does you using headphones prevent your musical instrument from bothering others?

Old 01-26-2022, 11:44 AM

15 posts, read 9,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkingandwondering View Post
How does you using headphones prevent your musical instrument from bothering others?
I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. I can play my guitar through my computer and interface to come out only through my headphones. So no one else hears it amplified but me.

Old 01-26-2022, 11:48 AM

15,829 posts, read 14,468,374 times
The UES is (at least) two different neighborhoods. West of Lexington Ave tends to money, and of the older variety. That would be pretty stodgy. East of 3rd is basically a post collegiate dorm. Lots of new college graduates working jobs in Manhattan (at least before Covid.) It's not a gay-centric area like the Village (which may not be so much any more), or Chealsea. But you'd be far from alone. There's a well known gay bar on 2nd Ave in the low 90th, and others.

You'd be fine here.

Old 01-26-2022, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
The UES is (at least) two different neighborhoods. West of Lexington Ave tends to money, and of the older variety. That would be pretty stodgy. East of 3rd is basically a post collegiate dorm. Lots of new college graduates working jobs in Manhattan (at least before Covid.) It's not a gay-centric area like the Village (which may not be so much any more), or Chealsea. But you'd be far from alone. There's a well known gay bar on 2nd Ave in the low 90th, and others.

You'd be fine here.
Thanks for the input. I’m not gay though lol so I’m not using that as criteria (not that I would care about ending up in a neighborhood like that)

Old 01-26-2022, 12:27 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,468,374 times
Oops. I thought I saw that in your OP (which I read a few days ago.) Sorry.

But that being the case, you're even better off ion the UES. Just don't go for the multimillion dollar coop on Park Ave. Stay on 3rd or east, and you'll have plenty of entertainment (or as much as can be had while Covid is running), not far out your front door.

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I’m not gay though lol so I’m not using that as criteria (not that I would care about ending up in a neighborhood like that)

Old 01-26-2022, 12:31 PM

1,250 posts, read 678,074 times
Quote:
I think you’re misunderstanding what I’m saying. I can play my guitar through my computer and interface to come out only through my headphones. So no one else hears it amplified but me.
Wow! Yes, I suspected it might be something like that. Never heard of that! Love it. Carry on and I vote for you living downtown, at all costs.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomperson2 View Post
It's a weird time for the city. I live in a much younger area (downtown) and I still do see young people out and about, but it's not the same and it's hard to predict the future right now. I'd like to think that the booster, people having had omicron, and paxlovid will improve matters in the near future, but nothing is certain. However, I think moving to live with friends and try a new place is a great thing to do while you're still young.
What neighborhood do you live in specifically?

Old 01-27-2022, 10:15 AM

1,057 posts, read 546,781 times
The mistake is in the first part of title of the post.

Last edited by Dehumidifier; 01-27-2022 at 10:37 AM..

Old 01-27-2022, 10:21 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,063,795 times
Yorkville is deadly dull. But it is QUIET.

I remember when it was "hot" in the 1970's and Uncle Charlies' East was the place to be with 1000 of your "dancing queens" all weekend.

Now it is only somber, whether gay or straight.

But it is QUIET.

But for my late husband who wanted Manhattan, do or die, I'd have preferred staying in Jersey City.

But I have a good deal here, so here I'll stay.

Tes, OP, stay for a year and if it's too dull, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City