Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2022, 08:15 AM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times

Advertisements

It's not only Manhattan. I see piles of trash all over on my daily treks. Queens is... dirty. But, I guess they're highlighting Manhattan because of tourism. I think increasing crime is more of a problem than trash...

https://www.amny.com/news/cm-bottche...clean-streets/

Elected officials on Manhattan’s West Side are telling DSNY it’s time to clean up their act—the city may have reopened but lax sanitation efforts are putting a stink on tourism.

Since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, many city-run programs halted or were scaled back due to protocol safety measures and staffing shortages—and into the fall of 2021 some workers refused to be vaccinated despite the mandates. Although Mayor Eric Adams recently flipped the switch on encouraging tourism back into New York City through the Winter Outing Program, some elected officials fear that sanitation conditions will deter tourists from visiting their district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2022, 10:20 AM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Report overflowing DSNY wastebaskets at this link - https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/dsny/sit...ervice-request

Old 01-21-2022, 12:07 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,702,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeran View Post
It's not only Manhattan. I see piles of trash all over on my daily treks. Queens is... dirty. But, I guess they're highlighting Manhattan because of tourism. I think increasing crime is more of a problem than trash...
Crime and litter/trash go hand in hand. During the worst crime waves the city also gets noticeably dirtier. As the Broken Windows policy experiments showed, people are more likely to commit crimes in areas that are deemed as "unkept" and not "in order". Similarly, people are a lot more likely to litter if there is already trash on the streets.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:13 PM

8,935 posts, read 4,759,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Crime and litter/trash go hand in hand. During the worst crime waves the city also gets noticeably dirtier. As the Broken Windows policy experiments showed, people are more likely to commit crimes in areas that are deemed as "unkept" and not "in order". Similarly, people are a lot more likely to litter if there is already trash on the streets.
I agree. I noticed the subway platforms and cars getting noticeably and increasingly dirtier within the first year of de Blasio's mayorship. I recall at the time thinking that is not a good sign.

Old 01-21-2022, 12:21 PM

2,314 posts, read 1,148,785 times
Here's the DSNY street cleanliness report by Community Board (pdf) -

Staten Island has the highest Percent of Acceptably Clean Streets at 98.8%. And BTW we do not have Alt Side Parking on S.I., we keep our own curbs clean.

https://www1.nyc.gov/assets/operatio...br_streets.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: