Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2022, 12:55 AM

786 posts, read 485,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda718 View Post
They were likely installed to try and milk people who enter the Queens border from Long Island who think the speed limit is still 35 or 40mph.
This is very true. If you drive along Nothern blvd from let's say Flushing/main street all the way out to the Little Neck/Great Neck border, you'll see dozens of speed cameras on both sides. They catch 100's of people all day and every day. And just as you get to the border right at the end of Douglaston, there are 4 of them within a 4 block area. 2 on each side. Totally ridiculous in the sense they know it's not to deter speed but rather another way for left wing liberal NYC skum to milk non minorities of their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 07:20 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,029,172 times
They were also installed not for speed but for the idiots who think turning right on red in the 5 boroughs - especially Manhattan - is still ok.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:06 AM

151 posts, read 129,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Easiest way to avoid speed cameras.

1.) they only operate 6am to 10pm on the weekdays. So driving on the weekends doesn’t warrant tickets
2.) drive below 33 mph. I believe above 33 is when the camera catch you
3.) if you drive a certain route consistently there should be no excuse why you don’t know where all the cameras are.

I drive a fast sport car charger 392 and I almost never get speeding tickets by cameras. I know where most of them are in my route and they are far enough from eachother where I can drive a little faster most of my trip. When you actually calculate it if you are a speeder you can still speed 99% of your route despite slowing down for a few seconds to avoid the cameras.

What I admire about these laws is that it shows how lack of problem solving skills most humans have and how much more likely they are bound to quit.
Sometimes they have mobile speed cameras parked in a parking spot where you can't see them.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:07 AM

151 posts, read 129,960 times
Quote:
I've drove almost everyday in NYC from 2009 to 2018 and never got a ticket (because I don't speed). And that's exactly my point, is that Vehicle Zero punishs drivers like me and not the lawbreakers. Going 25mph on streets like Ocean Pkwy or Woodhaven Blvd was pure torture.

Odds are if I still lived in NYC I would of gave up my car completely. NYC is easily the worst place in the country to own a car, no contest.
This also hurts buses too, especially express buses with large non-stop segments.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:11 AM

1,419 posts, read 724,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
This also hurts buses too, especially express buses with large non-stop segments.
Agreed. Back in my High School days I use to take the Woodhaven Blvd bus home, which was a limited bus route back then, and it would normally take 10-15 minutes to go from Metropolitan to Liberty Avenue. I'm sure its longer now despite Woodhaven having it's own bus lane now.

Old 01-25-2022, 10:20 AM

12,202 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Lol. You don’t need to watch the speedometer. You been driving for all those years and need to look at a speedometer every second to do 15-33 mph per hour lol? I drive a car that go from 0-60 very quick and I can drive in low speeds without looking at a speedometer once
Yes and we know you are a BS artist. Anyone who drives and claims they don’t look at the speedometer is full of it.

With how precise those cameras are, one needs to constantly check your speed in order to not get ticketed. If you are around 30 mph, just a little tap on the gas or an incline will bump you over 35 mph easily and BAM! that’s $50 gone from your wallet. You might not care about the money but I do.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:06 PM

80 posts, read 65,351 times
How about we bring the speeding camera issues up to Eric Adams and we can see what he says about them? We get way too much of them in Queens now.

Old 01-25-2022, 09:10 PM

15,830 posts, read 14,469,933 times
I'm sure he wants the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTT View Post
How about we bring the speeding camera issues up to Eric Adams and we can see what he says about them? We get way too much of them in Queens now.

Old 01-26-2022, 06:13 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,259,183 times
Quote:
I've drove almost everyday in NYC from 2009 to 2018 and never got a ticket (because I don't speed). And that's exactly my point, is that Vehicle Zero punishs drivers like me and not the lawbreakers. Going 25mph on streets like Ocean Pkwy or Woodhaven Blvd was pure torture.

Odds are if I still lived in NYC I would of gave up my car completely. NYC is easily the worst place in the country to own a car, no contest.
The problems isn't the speed limit. 25mph is still plenty. The problem is the old infrastructure and city planning.

Tens of thousands of people collecting good paychecks doing absolutely nothing.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:54 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Quote:
Now drivers have to take their attention off the road and now watching the road and watching a speedomete
God forbid we ask drivers to do TWO things at once, neither of which involves a cell-phone.

Speedometers have a function, even for selfish, entitled idiots.

Anyone who cannot be aware of the road AND his speed should have his driving privileges revoked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City