Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 06:25 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,402,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I was being sarcastic, I cant wait till I can leave this dump of a city
Where you are going will be more of a dump
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 07:52 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,301,303 times
Property tax on one of our property went up 56%. Now granted we bought the house at a bargain. But we also had to dump a lot of money in it.

We have started making offers outside of the city.

I am planning to leave NY state in the next 6 or so years. But in the mean time city tax + property tax+poor quality of life+ dumb politicians who roll out stupid policies=NYC no longer tenable for us.

We are paying $15K combined between city and property taxes. I may as well move out to the suburbs on an acre of land and top rated schools and hospitals

Old 01-26-2022, 09:11 PM

87 posts, read 93,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You can get a lawyer who will challenge the valuation on contingency. They take a portion of the firs years tax savings. We have one that does this for our building every year.
do you have info please? i couldnt find anyone that grieves for nyc n the 5 Bs

Old 01-26-2022, 11:06 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
I own an 1118 sqft 1-family ranch house in the New Dorp section of SI. NYCDOF raised the market value from $560K for 2021-22 to $621K for 2022-23, a 10.89% increase. I think the actual real-world market value is around $600K based on recent sales in my area.
Long as Asians and few others keep showing up at homes for sale on SI with suitcases full of cash, and paying asking or more if seller will close deal *NOW*, things are going to keep going up.

It compounds situation in that sellers are pricing properties higher than they should in many instances because they know who will be knocking on their door.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:38 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikfleye3 View Post
I was being sarcastic, I cant wait till I can leave this dump of a city

hahahaha............

Old 01-27-2022, 05:42 AM

2,948 posts, read 1,261,520 times
People forget water rates. Water rates have basically been another way to raise property taxes without officially raising property taxes.

Add your annual water rate to your property tax bill and there's your real proper tax bill.

The game in NYC has been clear for some time now. They'll rob those who are required to pay taxes to maintain and expand the welfare state in order to buy votes and stay in power.

Old 01-27-2022, 05:55 AM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
People forget water rates. Water rates have basically been another way to raise property taxes without officially raising property taxes.

Add your annual water rate to your property tax bill and there's your real proper tax bill.

The game in NYC has been clear for some time now. They'll rob those who are required to pay taxes to maintain and expand the welfare state in order to buy votes and stay in power.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:58 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
You can get a lawyer who will challenge the valuation on contingency. They take a portion of the firs years tax savings. We have one that does this for our building every year.
Challenging (“grieving”) property taxes seems to be successful on Long Island but not so common in NYC. The NYC Notice of Property Value says this:

Quote:
Many property owners consider requesting review of their market value in hopes of reducing their property tax. However, your property tax will not go down unless you can prove that the market value should be lower than the effective market value.
In my case, the “effective market value” of my home is over $100,000 less than the “market value” per the Notice of Property Value. The effective market value is probably correct based on recent home sales on my block. It would be hard to prove that the market value is lower than the effective market value because the effective market value is probably what the home is worth.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:38 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfc99 View Post
That's a 10.79% increase, close to my 10.89% increase. Are you on SI also? What type of house?
Yes in SI, 10312, 1750 sq ft semi on a 25x110 lot.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:42 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,970,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Where you are going will be more of a dump
Well I'm going nowhere fast, but eventually, I have my eyes on round rock Texas. And while I dont agree that it will be more of a dump, even if its on par, at least I wont have to cough up some of the Highest Taxes in the country, for residing in arguably the least free state. State and local taxes are high, sales tax high, tolls high, fees high, want to build a deck in your yard, pay the city fees for permits and inspections that are high, want to own a car, high reg fees, everything about this city is Pay up Pay up Pay up, and enjoy lackluster QOL and services.

People who stay here are insane, myself included. If it wasn't for my family all being here and me wanting my kids to be close to their grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins etc. I would have been long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City