Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 05:33 AM

16,217 posts, read 6,966,934 times

Advertisements

What happened to the good old family dining where you called the restaurant.
Spoke to the owner by name. He saved your seat. Sat you down.
Checked in to see you were comfortable while you enjoyed your meal.
Shook hands with the chef. Payed cash. Tipped the waiters.
Tipped the dishwashers.Tipped the coat check. Tipped the valet
and called it a night.

Now it's gotten too business like...........to corporate.
Too "Fraggin" cold.......and unemotionally attached.
Itemizing ....itemizing...itemizing.....
I'm not doing my taxes. Damn it !
I'm trying to sit down and enjoy dinner.
Keep the bill simple. To yourselves would help.
Just serve me my meal. I'll even pay cash, leave a cash tip, and see myself out.

You know what......better off if I run to the shopping center.
Pick up a good sirloin, potato, spring salad, loaf of Italian bread
and marry it with a wonderful liquor store Cabernet.
Heck.....I'll even indulge in an espresso and some
gelato afterwards.

I might even invite a friend over ..................for a good hand of poker.

Sorry. No cigars...................I'm married ...errr...ummmm.....compromised..........( sarcasm )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 06:36 AM

5,904 posts, read 3,032,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
https://nypost.com/2022/01/25/uncle-...kitchen-staff/

Uncle jacks is local to us on bell blvd .

He wants to add another 5% tip as an option for the kitchen staff ..

Not for nothing , but with most who go there already leaving 20% of a huge bill as a tip how about the waiters kick in 5% for the staff ….many restaurants do it that way ..

I think a 25% tip on that size bill is over the top.

We stopped going there even though we can walk there , as we found the steaks not as good as Peter Lugers or Morton’s
AGREED. Last year the steak at Jacks was just not that great.
Lugers is always consistent and spot on.

I do like the interior of Jacks at Bell a lot more though, but Im a sucker for brick wall interiors. Also bar is very classy/old looking.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:40 AM

107,212 posts, read 109,563,580 times
We like to support local businesses but the last two times we tried jacks the steaks were not as flavorful or soft as we expected..

We were in Chicago and tried the original Morton’s ..the steaks were fabulous ..also Chicago cut was tops.

We won’t go back to jacks …I rather drive over to Peter Lugers or Morton’s on northern blvd

Old 01-27-2022, 06:59 AM

34,218 posts, read 47,539,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Let the restaurants keep raising the prices. More and more people will dine at home or dine out less/spend less. It's out of control already. I tip 20% and quite frankly, the food of late has been mediocre, especially delivery. Everything I order has been arriving loop warm at best or I have to reheat it in the oven, but sure, let's tip everybody for half-@ssed service. Meanwhile, we're already tipping more because just about every place raised their prices. I have been picking up my food more whenever I do order and for that, I don't tip. When it gets warmer, I'll see if my usual spots are up to snuff or slacking and that will determine eating out more or cooking at home.
Possibly transferring to less sit-down places and more take-out instead. Especially for Covid we've been ordering take-out more than usual. We never ate out that much to begin with, but we pretty much don't do it anymore. Same food within the comfort of your home, still no dishes afterwards. Interesting to see how it will all develop.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-27-2022, 07:34 AM

729 posts, read 538,515 times
I go into a restaurant and order a cheap cube steak dinner at $15. A plate of food is brought to me. Tip is 20% or $3. Next day I order a fancier fish dinner at $25. A plate of food is brought to me. Tip is 20% or $5. The same amount of work in both cases - i.e. a plate of food is brought to me. Why is the tip for one case more than the tip for the other case? Tipping by percentage makes no sense!

Old 01-27-2022, 07:35 AM

2,476 posts, read 1,249,127 times
Does the guy at the hi-end place work as hard as the waitress slinging ham and eggs at the local diner? Debatable. The hi-end guy takes your order, and someone else bring it out, and your still lucky if the guy isn't saying "who got Rib Eye, who got the Fillet?"

Speaking of Steak's was never impressed with Jacks. Used to love the Original Palm with Big Al, but the family sold and Pffft.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Flat rate tips don’t work well either as 5 bucks on a 250 dollar meal or 5 bucks on a 40 bill makes no sense either

Old 01-27-2022, 07:55 AM

9,207 posts, read 6,342,158 times
From the article:

"“It’s about time the back of the house is rewarded for something by the public,” Degel said. “How much can I raise my prices before people don’t come in anymore?”"

Whether he raises his prices 5% or people add a 5% tip for the kitchen staff, the bill is going up 5% and the customer is paying 5% more. [Please don't nit-pick about additional sales tax on the higher prices compared to no sales tax on the tip.]

Old 01-27-2022, 07:56 AM

All I would do is give the waiter less ….and give some to the back staff ..many restaurants require the waiter to give them a portion anyway

Old 01-27-2022, 03:26 PM

8,725 posts, read 11,136,016 times
i bought 10.99 a lb bone in rib eye today. It tasted better than uncle jacks hands down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City